six dead on Jersey in knife attack

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC News - Six die in knife attack in Jersey
'Six people have been killed after a stabbing incident in Jersey, police have said.
Police were called to a flat at Victoria Crescent, Upper Midvale Road, at 15:00 BST after reports of a multiple stabbing incident.
A 30-year-old man is in police custody at Jersey Hospital where he is also recovering from surgery.
The hospital's emergency department was temporarily closed. Police are appealing for witnesses.
A hospital spokeswoman has confirmed that the hospital has now re-opened.'

blimey.

The dead are 1 man, 2 women and 3 children. A 30yo man is under arrest and being treated in hospital. They are all reported to be Polish [there's around 4,000 Poles living and working in Jersey].

BBC News - Jersey stabbings: Minister's 'shock' over six dead

Strangely, we never heard a single siren despite this happening less than 1/2 mile away.

He added: "The whole island will be in shock and in pain as a result of this."
Errr .... no we're not in shock or pain, actually. Just a bit surprised.

The poles are known for their knife culture and violence, mainly enchanched by heavy drinking of clear spirits. Its unusual to happen in Jersey, not unusual for the Polish.

Local news is suggesting that the 'alleged perpetrator', who had lived here for many years as a building tradesman, was about to have his contract expire.

Which doesn't justifying anything, of course. Just so sad.

The dead are 1 man, 2 women and 3 children. A 30yo man is under arrest and being treated in hospital. They are all reported to be Polish [there's around 4,000 Poles living and working in Jersey].

BBC News - Jersey stabbings: Minister's 'shock' over six dead

Strangely, we never heard a single siren despite this happening less than 1/2 mile away.

Errr .... no we're not in shock or pain, actually. Just a bit surprised.
B_S.
With regard to the size of the Polish Community on the Island, I heard a report on the radio today that it was in the region of 10,000! Surely not that many? When we were there last a couple of years ago, we were told the largest immigrant population on Jersey was the Portuguese?
In respect of the stabbings, irrespective of the nationalities, it is tragic when adults kick off and kids are in the cross-fire (literally speaking).

Portugese community is around 10% ... mainly in the agricultural sector? Perhaps 10,000?
Polish community is around 4,000 ... working everywhere.
We've just had a Census ... results awaited towards the end of the year.

I'm deffo not being racist, but the population is being significantly skewed by these 2 groups. I won't argue the rights and wrongs, other than to observe that the Jersey kids leaving school find it hard to get a job. For example, virtually all the supermarket staff are either Polish [rarely] or Madeiran. That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I thought Jersey was particularly selective when it came to immigration?
Normally only allowing people in who had healthy bank accounts and went to the right schools Or has that changed as well?

Portugese community is around 10% ... mainly in the agricultural sector? Perhaps 10,000?
Polish community is around 4,000 ... working everywhere.
We've just had a Census ... results awaited towards the end of the year.

I'm deffo not being racist, but the population is being significantly skewed by these 2 groups. I won't argue the rights and wrongs, other than to observe that the Jersey kids leaving school find it hard to get a job. For example, virtually all the supermarket staff are either Polish [rarely] or Madeiran. That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Couldn't agree more with your sentiments, but that has damned us both as racists in the eyes of certain sections of society.

Editted to add: Thanks for confirmation of immigrant numbers. Shocking for such a small Island.