Six Balkan countries set to join EU

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7080895.stm

The EU expects all western Balkan countries by the end of 2008 to have signed initial deals paving the way for eventual entry into the 27-member bloc.

Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said Albania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia and Serbia were on course to fulfil all EU conditions.

He also praised Serbia's co-operation with the UN war crimes tribunal.

But Turkey was urged to improve freedom of expression and minority rights if it wanted its membership bid to progress.
Should be a hoot watching busloads of Bosnians, Croats and Serbs arriving together at Dover.

I wonder if they'll put restrictions on...dont really want some ex-Chetnik who did God-knows-what during the Yugoslav war over here.

Another thing, Albania and Bosnia are presumably both Muslim-majority countries so why so much fuss over Turkey?

Taz_786 said:

I wonder if they'll put restrictions on...dont really want some ex-Chetnik who did God-knows-what during the Yugoslav war over here.

Another thing, Albania and Bosnia are presumably both Muslim-majority countries so why so much fuss over Turkey?
a) I've never met a Kosovan bouncer who didn't claim to have been in the KLA. Zero moral difference.

b) Albania and Bosnia are Muslim in the mystical-Sufi, miniskirt-wearing/chasing, rakija-guzzling way... indeed, the Albanian government have been disavowing their historical 'Muslimness' recently. Like, that's so last millennium.

While there's a growing Wahhabi strain in the Balkans (thanks, Saudis :roll: ), its locus is actually in the Serbian Sanjak of Novipazar region and NW Macedonia.

Taz_786 said:

The EU expects all western Balkan countries by the end of 2008 to have signed initial deals paving the way for eventual entry into the 27-member bloc.

Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said Albania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia and Serbia were on course to fulfil all EU conditions.

But Turkey was urged to improve freedom of expression and minority rights if it wanted its membership bid to progress.
Should be a hoot watching busloads of Bosnians, Croats and Serbs arriving together at Dover.

When I was in Bos last, quite a while ago now, I dont remember seeing ANY ninja clad women.....

Yet more basket cases for the developed nations of the EU to pay for.

Croatia: economically fine, but country is screwed by 3rd rate corrupt politicians.

Bosnia: don't even go there. Beautiful country, some fine breasted women (ignore the teeth). Infrastructure permenantly fúcked. Seriously. So are their politicians. One of the most corrupt countries in the world, and the ethnic tensions have not gone away: they are merely hidden under a very, very thin veneer.

Serbia: Another basket case riddled by incompetence and nationalism rather than out and out corruption. Apart from the Hungarian minority in the north and Belgrade, the population would be quite happy in the 14th century (BC). Complete nationalist fruit loops. Beautiful scenery doesn't hide their annoying habit of wanting to kill anything that isn't Serb, Russian or French.

Kosovo: just nuke it and make the world a better place.

Albania: Amazing countryside, lovely people. Corrupt as hell, seriously nasty and efficient mafia (includes most of the army, police and politicians). Should be a tourist heaven but Enver Hoxha took the country back to Year Zero. Likes to export Albanian nationalism to its neighbours.

Montenegro: another little corrupt mafia holiday destination. No matter that half of the government were caught ****ing underage prostitutes, this is where the Serbian and Russian mafia come and play in the summer. Amazing countryside (not that the locals give a toss: they use it as a giant garbage dump) and amazing levels of corruption.

Macedonia: Really shouldn't exist. Needs to be split up between Greece, Bulgaria and Albania. Skopje has some nice parts, but it is one of those countries that just cannot justify its existence.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
EX_REME said:
Taz_786 said:

When I was in Bos last, quite a while ago now, I dont remember seeing ANY ninja clad women.....
No, that's because the ninja-clad women were living in basements as prostitutes for passing Western customers (apparently, there were quite a lot at the time). Rest assured, as soon as the hubbies start arriving by the bus-load, your cellar will be rented out in less time than it takes to say "Me KLA you long time baby"

Taz_786 said:
I'd rather have Chetnicks than the muslims that fought with the Nazi's.

You and your jihadi walts plotting to bomb them if they come over ?

Don't worry. The EU is a democracy. No matter how much Flash Gordon wants to redistribute our wealth to the impoverished Balkans, we'll have an opportunity to veto enlargement in a referendum - won't we?

Who's next on the list for an invitation to the Eurotrough? Zimbabwe? North Korea?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
So, 27 countries eh? A Grand Alliance of Nations, stronger in unity through diversity etc blah blah. Funny that most of them mullered by one nation (Germany) before getting mullered a second time by three others (Russia, Britain and the US).

Not making a point, just an observation.

When the Yugoslavia split up, there where hundreds of thousands of deaths, much acrimony and evilness, not unlike WW2.

I wonder what will happen, and who will come off the worst WHEN the EU falls apart at the seams?

Never mind all the new ones, is there any chance we could maybe get rid of some of the current members like Bulgaria and Romania? Apparently there's a new EU report out that says since joining efforts to tackle corruption and reforming their court systems have actually moved backwards. And of course now that they're members what can we really threaten them with as sanctions?

Biped said:
I wonder what will happen, and who will come off the worst WHEN the EU falls apart at the seams?
Yes, I predict a vicious UK pensioner-led insurgency in Spain's southern foothills.

I don't know, the Spaniards seem to be thinking ahead for once and doing a slash and burn effort on large swathes of housing developments usually owned by foreigners along the south-east coastline. Maybe they're trying to deny them cover and support? ;)

Biped said:
So, 27 countries eh? A Grand Alliance of Nations, stronger in unity through diversity etc blah blah. Funny that most of them mullered by one nation (Germany) before getting mullered a second time by three others (Russia, Britain and the US).

When the Yugoslavia split up, there where hundreds of thousands of deaths, much acrimony and evilness, not unlike WW2.

Funny how every country in Europe has, within living memory, been either a facist dictatorship or under foreign occupation, or both. Apart from Switzerland (non-EU) and Britain (hardly enthusiastic towards the EU). Seems like true independence just isn't what the peoples of Europe want. Everyone's queueing up to be told what to do by the bureaucrats of Brussels. Pathetic.

This is not racist, it is political. Geo-political maybe; theo-geographical, possibly.

We already have a problem. Now we are inviting that problem to be magnified to a degree we can barely imagine. Albania! Ask the Greeks!

Rumpelstiltskin said:
Biped said:
Yes, I predict a vicious UK pensioner-led insurgency in Spain's southern foothills.
Never underestimate pensioner power. You won't be laughing when we take charge and slap 100% VAT on Playstations, 200% on lad mags, 500% on those new fangled mobile phone thingies and a whopping 1000% on all Burberry products and fake look-a-likes.

When the revolution comes, I'll be leading the amphibious battle group from my flagship pedallo near the beach at Torremolinos. (Only if my prostate's not playing up though - got to stay within zimmer range of a toilet when that happens).

I should imagine a few pensioner Panzer divisions rolling across the European plains in their mobility scooters would make Hitlers Blitzkreig seem tame.

Join the English resistance!

So we will have yet more people scrounging off of the working people of this country. When will the ruling powers here realize that the ordinary hard working people of this country (including those from the EU that ARE working) have had enough of all the scum from Europe and elswhere that flock here for a free ride at our expense. The government in this country are put into power to do OUR bidding NOT thier own. The rise in crime in this country will only continue while we let all the dross from Europe in. Time for a drastic change of policy in this country to protect the indiginous populace. Draconian times call for draconian measures. Rant over, pass me my slippers.

Biped said:

Yes Biped and it will. But we have one big thing in our favour do we not? The good old English channel, very easy to keep our border line marked....

Brick said:
Never mind all the new ones, is there any chance we could maybe get rid of some of the current members like Bulgaria and Romania? Apparently there's a new EU report out that says since joining efforts to tackle corruption and reforming their court systems have actually moved backwards. And of course now that they're members what can we really threaten them with as sanctions?
I totally agree ! NO MORE EXPANSIONS, the Bulgarians and Romanian as well as Slovaks seemed least suitable members of the EU, the largest exports have been the Romas and Chavs, they should be the first to be expelled from the EU, which should be like a proper "European self help Mutual society & club" with entry conditions, Membership Rules and Codes of Behavior , like any Members only club when a member stops paying subs, behaves anti socially and not following the rules , they should be expelled, and this is what we should be doing to those that don't pull their socks up. at the moment the EU looks like a fat Sow for the piglets to join up and suck their teats, thinking once in they won't be kicked out.