SITE UPGRADE

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, Mar 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

ARRSE will be down this evening between 1930hrs to 2030 hrs for an upgrade to the site software. Sorry but we believe that the result will be worth it...

2. Bad CO

Ok - it hasn't gone down yet because we aren't happy that the upgrade will work. THis has been delayed but may still happen sometime tonight!

3. I think Armynet had the same problem with their upgrade - however their version was a lot older than this one is for the upgrade. From what I remember they were not able to have the new software read the old messages and had to start from scratch, archiving the older stuff.

This would be a nightmare on here as there is too much to lose. Good luck - we know you are up to the task (hopefully).

4. I think Armynets problem may have been caused by the age of the software they upgraded from, and it being incompatible with newer versions.

Boney

5. Bad CO

Loss of data isn't the problem it is due to the changes necessary to the themes & chat being more significant than we thought. Don't worry we'll get there.

I also can't believe that Army net couldn't have coded a convertor to change the fields in one db to those in a new one...

6. From the people who brought you Bowman, Unicom, etc, etc....... :wink:

7. Transfering the data wouldnt have been a problem (or shouldnt have), i'm just not sure they wanted to. The entire site seems to be a discussion with the moderators anyway.

Boney

8. Thanks Primey. Does it come with a large collection of spotty faced glue sniffers with a social interaction problem and a lifetime subscription to 'Blokes in combats monthly'? I would rather keep the distance between this site and err, those ones as far as the Sun is from your planet! :lol: :wink:

9. Bad CO

Right the site upgrade is pretty much complete although there remains some work to do. The chat room will be on IRC although we still haven't got it working 100%. Other errors with functionality, etc will also turn up in due course. Let us know of anything you spot.

10. Theres a couple of repetitions at the top of the screen. "You have no new messages" is repeated twice and so is "Logout [Boney_m],

And this light blue malarkey, bit RAF aint it? Liked the silver, hope i can change it in theames.

Boney

11. Hmm, may just be me but at the top of each page, the options to

Forum FAQForum FAQ SearchSearch You have no new messagesYou have no new messages Logout [ army_of_1 ]Logout [ army_of_1 ]

appear twice. Also, are private e-mail addresses still kept private on our profile pages?

12. Yeha, slightly confused this evening to find it all different. Can we have subSilver back please? I do like the quick reply box on the end of the page though.

13. I keep seeing pictures of Gordon Brown carrying a Tesco bag...Is it the onset of madness?

14. Bad CO

The old theme hasn't been ported to the latest version of the site software so we had to get a new one. Don't worry though, there will be more themes on the way in due course!