Site Speed

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, May 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Guys,
    Site traffic has picked up quite a bit recently and we're naturally interested in the possible impact on site speed. I'd therefore be grateful for any thoughts people might have as to how it compares with previously. Also if you notice a particularly slow part of the site or the site slowing down at a particular moment I'd be grateful if you could put details on here. Information such as time, date, number of people online & number of people in the chat room would be very helpful.

2. A recurring one seems to be that the front page takes a little more time to load that it used to. Thats the only problem I've encountered.

Rab

97 online, 10 in chat, time and date as of this post.

3. BCO,

I concur with Explosiverab, the front page is a little slow in loading at the moment.

191 on line

8 in chat room

at time of this post

fastmedic

4. Bad CO

5. 2. Front Page.. The site’s popularity seems to be very evident at peak times, and sometimes, links from the front page to forum messages can take an age to connect to.

6. Sorry BCO

the very front page, apologies.

fastmedic

7. Hmm.....Ive had dramas with all three in the past......

Same problem, just taking a little longer to load than usual.

8. The site is slower, in general, then it used to be!

I have noticed this over the past three weeks and the daytime is irrelevant in my opinion, I log on several times a day including the dead of night (sad ferker, I know).

9. Same with me mate

10. may seem very strange but I find that logging on www.arrse.co.uk tends to up load quicker than with .com at the end , then again maybe all the smut thats on this laptop is playing merry hell with it.

11. just had 20 minutes of excruciatingly slow connection and a few "page not found" messages

about 15 in chat.

lasted from 2245 - 2305

12. Bad CO

Its incredibly frustrating why it does this. For no particularly good reason (that we can figure) the server works itself up into a frenzy and then returns to normal. We're continuing to look is all I can offer at the moment.

13. Running anything in the background that will run when a limit is reached or a time-out? might be a complex cron job? or a set of actions like a mid-evening backup or even a memory dump?

14. Slow again, since 1530 still slow at 1552,

15. Intermittant periods of extreme slowness this morning. 0740, 38 people online and no one in chat. Keeps loading half a page, then waiting a while before loading the rest of it. I'm on an 8mbps link thats working fine for other sites at time of posting.

Boney