Site Speed

Guys,
Site traffic has picked up quite a bit recently and we're naturally interested in the possible impact on site speed. I'd therefore be grateful for any thoughts people might have as to how it compares with previously. Also if you notice a particularly slow part of the site or the site slowing down at a particular moment I'd be grateful if you could put details on here. Information such as time, date, number of people online & number of people in the chat room would be very helpful.

A recurring one seems to be that the front page takes a little more time to load that it used to. Thats the only problem I've encountered.

Rab

97 online, 10 in chat, time and date as of this post.

BCO,

I concur with Explosiverab, the front page is a little slow in loading at the moment.

191 on line

8 in chat room

at time of this post

fastmedic

2. Front Page.. The site’s popularity seems to be very evident at peak times, and sometimes, links from the front page to forum messages can take an age to connect to.

Hmm.....Ive had dramas with all three in the past......

Same problem, just taking a little longer to load than usual.

The site is slower, in general, then it used to be!

I have noticed this over the past three weeks and the daytime is irrelevant in my opinion, I log on several times a day including the dead of night (sad ferker, I know).

Its incredibly frustrating why it does this. For no particularly good reason (that we can figure) the server works itself up into a frenzy and then returns to normal. We're continuing to look is all I can offer at the moment.

Bad CO said:
Its incredibly frustrating why it does this. For no particularly good reason (that we can figure) the server works itself up into a frenzy and then returns to normal. We're continuing to look is all I can offer at the moment.
Running anything in the background that will run when a limit is reached or a time-out? might be a complex cron job? or a set of actions like a mid-evening backup or even a memory dump?

Intermittant periods of extreme slowness this morning. 0740, 38 people online and no one in chat. Keeps loading half a page, then waiting a while before loading the rest of it. I'm on an 8mbps link thats working fine for other sites at time of posting.

Boney

I don't have much of a problem BCO... except I notice that at peak times, the "main page" can take a while. (that said... I use an ultra fast connection and am on the point of clicking off if I have to wait more than 2 seconds for anything... impatience is a virtue!)

I had expected more problems with the posts, as avatars and pictures using Killer-Bytes are abundant... but nope. So it must be due to the server sharing its time between multiple guests on the same page - the "main page"... a bit of a crass solution but maybe there is something to be said for multiple, automatically rotating main pages... if this really is what's going on. But I bet there's a geek or 10 on this site somewhere, who really understands server technology and can be far more constructive than me.

There's no issue with people being on the same page. Every connection regardless of which page is processed by the webserver in the same way, although there are of course bottlenecks at times. Just to satisfy the geeks these are:

Web server processor load - too many page requests made to the webserver and the 'threads' created for each request have to queue for processor time This is not currently an issue on our server.

Server memory. Each 'thread' uses a certain amount of memory and we did have a previous problem where we allowed the server to process too many threads concurrently, and therefore use too much memory, and therefore use swap files - 'virtual memory' exactly as windows does when it runs out of real memory. This slows things enormously as it involves hard disk use and creates a vicious circle.

Network limitations. We use two servers; one runs the web server (ie the thing that generates the pages you see) and the other runs the database (ie stores all the info used to make the pages - post contents, user names etc etc). While there is obviously a very fast link between them, slowing on this link does affect page generation times. This is rare, but out of our control.

Database server performance - how quickly the thing can process the 'queries' that are used to generate page content. Not currently an issue.

I will make sure I'm online and monitoring the server today to see if I can identify the issue. Given the server power running ARRSE (thanks donators!), it should be very fast even at bust times. 'Should' of course being very different from 'is' when dealing with IT black magic.

13.34 20th June 2006

People Online:
Members: 96
Visitors: 145
Total: 241

No problems with speed of main pages but some of the topics appear to be a bit slow, could this have something to do with logo's advert's and other rubbish some people have in their signature box?

Seal_Master said:
13.34 20th June 2006

People Online:
Members: 96
Visitors: 145
Total: 241

No problems with speed of main pages but some of the topics appear to be a bit slow, could this have something to do with logo's advert's and other rubbish some people have in their signature box?
Depends on your connection speed. The text only pages are obviously a big benefit to someone not on fast broadband. The different pages themselves are pretty similar. This is a sample I just did:

Forum index page:

This page generated in 0.1953 seconds with 14 DB Queries in 1.1838 seconds
This page generated in 0.1913 seconds with 10 DB Queries in 0.5221 seconds
This page generated in 0.1719 seconds with 10 DB Queries in 0.0806 seconds

Thread page:

This page generated in 0.1841 seconds with 27 DB Queries in 0.0873 seconds
This page generated in 0.2537 seconds with 27 DB Queries in 0.0921 seconds
This page generated in 0.249 seconds with 31 DB Queries in 0.1035 seconds

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HHH ARRSE: Site Issues 3
Good CO ARRSE: Site Issues 27
Bad CO ARRSE: Site Issues 99