Site Speed - Improved?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Yes - much faster

14 vote(s)
  2. Yes - a bit faster

13 vote(s)
  3. No change

4 vote(s)
  4. No - a bit slower

9 vote(s)
  5. No - a lot slower

27 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

In the last couple of days we've made some major changes which we hope have improved site speed but would be grateful for you thoughts
  2. speedier for me using firefox and win 7
  3. I'm on Chrome, had major issues earlier this year with page load times. Compared to other sites, ARRSE pages can still take some time to load - and these other sites have heavier user traffic, though far less advertising serving.

Out of interest, what were the changes?
  4. Beyond slow actually. Pages taking ages to load - but I'm working off a steam-powered connection in the back of beyond so our tinternet speed is always shite :-(
  5. Bad CO

Two major changes:
    • Added a fourth Apache server; we've now got two uber ones and two smaller ones
    • Improved ad loading times by making them happen in parallel with the rest of the page load

People who've said they still find it slow, are there particular areas of the site which you find particularly good or bad?

An interesting stat is that yesterday was the most posts we've had in approx 9 months ...... which we think is down to the improvements?
  6. Much quicker for me on Safari. No slowing down this evening either, like it used to.
  7. As its is midnight-ish, I'll see what [subjective] results I get tomorrow daytime.

The issues I normally get are extremely long wait times when clicking on the page numbers at the bottom of a thread page... eg I'm on page 2 and click on 3 or 4. Clicking on "next" sometimes loads the page... but usually all see is the "waiting for" its much faster now, but I suspect there is less site activity!
  8. I think that was probably to do more with getting mrrandom his 1000 "likes" and stacker being mean to me/the world/his mum.

It's got a lot faster though, and all I know about Apaches is that they are helicopter type thingies that shoot guns and stuff at the baddies.
  9. Bad CO

Only 7 votes so far - dullest poll ever?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Sorry BCO. This morning, the site has the speed and grace of a stricken slug.

It's taking anything from 15 to 30 seconds for pages in topics to load, or even for new topics to load. I've had a look at other websites that I use and they're all significantly faster on the PC that I'm using, so I don't think it's my company's broadband connection playing up. (I've just checked by looking at Annie Mole's "Going Underground" blog and clicked on a few links there. It's always been a slow site but it's beating ARRSE today.)

I've just tried an experiment on here. After reading this thread, I clicked "New Posts". It took 15 seconds to display. I then selected the thread "Soltau Training area" which again took 15 seconds to display. It took me about a minute to get back here via "Last 50".

Hope this helps.
  11. As my PC is lashed to the deck and we're bobbing about West of the Shetlands, I doubt if my observation is helpful, although until some twat waves a crane in front of the dish the speed has picked up. Slightly.
  12. Bad CO

Interesting stuff - pse keep the comments coming. Not sure how great my ability to influence crane ops in the North Sea is though!

Oh, and its faster than a greased weasel for me at the moment......
  13. Personally, there has been no noticable change to ARRSE. It still takes a little time to load, but nothing to complain about.

Keep up the good work.
  14. HHH

HHH LE

I've voted a bit faster because, yes overall it is a lot quicker, but it still has it slow moments.By that I mean sometimes going from reading a thread, to any search type can be slow.If everything works at the new speed it will be a lot quicker and better.

Edited To Add; the posting of replies, using the "Go Advance" has greatly quickened up.
  15. Much faster for me - using Avant browser on Windows 7 CometBird not so good.

@ Sluggy: where did you go to school? - Apaches are red Injuns ^_~
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.