Site Speed feedback please

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Aug 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I know I keep fiddling, but I'm determined to make the increasingly bloated ARRSE faster and have achieved quite a lot since yesterday. Anyway, one of the options is something called Cloudflare. www.cloudflare.com for those interested.

It has some very good security benefits, but the main thing is that it holds local copies of site pages supposedly in a worldwide network of servers, then sends them out. A Content Delivery Network with bells and whistles basically.

However... when I tried this a couple of days back we got some reports of the site being very slow. I've just turned it on again, so any opinions about 'fast','normal','slow' appreciated. Ideally pull up a page from https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php a couple of times to get a feel if it's your connection if in doubt.

One more point - pages load much faster on the second go. A page of ARRSE is likely to take 6s first time. Next time round it should be 2 or 3 because your browser has cached a load of stuff. Doing Ctrl F5 should cause a complete reload and take about 6s. My aim is to get this figure down.

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Scrap that! It screws up the site for man, so we give up on it!

3. Slow as old mick on my laptop.ok on phone.i couldn't even post of laptop yesterday.

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

5. site speed now running at mach2.i can even post again now.party time.

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

All mod cons!

7. I had the misfortune of having to work with someone nicknamed 'Twiddles'. He'd twiddle with this that and everything until it stopped working. I took great delight in slapping him across the back of his head whilst shouting the mantra "If it 'aint bust don't friggin fix it". :)

8. The site is running a faster now, and appears to be loading the pages correctly as well. This morning it was loading very slowly maybe 1min+ for each page but things would be in the wrong place/not there.

9. All the Arrse MODs are cons? Now it makes sense.

Site speed is good.

10. Yup much better, cheers.

11. Site speed is good right now. But difficult for me to make comparisons because in between internet outages and power cuts we also have reduced power (for some reason as well as reducing the voltage they also alter the frequency of the a/c here) and heavy rain which screws up the microwave links. To cut the crap, things is working good now.

12. How do you create a thread on iPhone app??

13. Go into forum you want to post. Icon top right hand side of screen with arrow, tap it. Opens menu tap 'new topic'

14. You are "Gibbs" and I claim my $7.76. :-DSorry, edited to add; site is nice and quick, thanks GCO. Do you want to hear all my ARRSE/IE6 woes?