Site Speed feedback please

I know I keep fiddling, but I'm determined to make the increasingly bloated ARRSE faster and have achieved quite a lot since yesterday. Anyway, one of the options is something called Cloudflare. www.cloudflare.com for those interested.

It has some very good security benefits, but the main thing is that it holds local copies of site pages supposedly in a worldwide network of servers, then sends them out. A Content Delivery Network with bells and whistles basically.

However... when I tried this a couple of days back we got some reports of the site being very slow. I've just turned it on again, so any opinions about 'fast','normal','slow' appreciated. Ideally pull up a page from https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php a couple of times to get a feel if it's your connection if in doubt.

One more point - pages load much faster on the second go. A page of ARRSE is likely to take 6s first time. Next time round it should be 2 or 3 because your browser has cached a load of stuff. Doing Ctrl F5 should cause a complete reload and take about 6s. My aim is to get this figure down.

I had the misfortune of having to work with someone nicknamed 'Twiddles'. He'd twiddle with this that and everything until it stopped working. I took great delight in slapping him across the back of his head whilst shouting the mantra "If it 'aint bust don't friggin fix it". :)

Z

Zarathustra

The site is running a faster now, and appears to be loading the pages correctly as well. This morning it was loading very slowly maybe 1min+ for each page but things would be in the wrong place/not there.

Site speed is good right now. But difficult for me to make comparisons because in between internet outages and power cuts we also have reduced power (for some reason as well as reducing the voltage they also alter the frequency of the a/c here) and heavy rain which screws up the microwave links. To cut the crap, things is working good now.

I had the misfortune of having to work with someone nicknamed 'Twiddles'. He'd twiddle with this that and everything until it stopped working. I took great delight in slapping him across the back of his head whilst shouting the mantra "If it 'aint bust don't friggin fix it". :)
You are "Gibbs" and I claim my $7.76. :-DSorry, edited to add; site is nice and quick, thanks GCO. Do you want to hear all my ARRSE/IE6 woes?

Yes, go for it. I've had a look and seen that there are some icon problems, but it seemed to work OK. Let me know the trouble and I'll try to crack it.

Okayyyyyy - I have to click RwQ twice to get it to reply. As you say, lots of icon issues, notably go to last thread button and at the bottom of each thread page there are no forward/back buttons, just hollow oblongs. When I click on the "Top" button it takes and age to go there (might be a 'work' intranet issue though). When I try to reply I have no 'box of tricks' above the dialogue box for Bold, Italics, Font, etc. On the 'New Posts' page all the icons to the left of each thread title (the envelope with pages inside) are bright blue with a green arrow inside and I can't format lines or paragraphs when replying, hence the lack of punctuation in this post. :)

Oh, and when I click on 'Like' nothing happens. Well, the icon goes to a light grey, but that's it. And I so wanted to like one of the skipdippers posts too. :)

On IE6 we simply won't get the fandangly editor to work. Go to you settings (link in header)->general settings and switch to basic editor. Let me know how you get on please

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HHH ARRSE: Site Issues 3
Bad CO ARRSE: Site Issues 99
Bad CO ARRSE: Site Issues 6