Site refusong to load / slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know there were problems several weeks ago, but is anyone else having problems today getting the site to load or the site is occasionally very slow??? :?

its usually quite slow when I'm at work (but only using arrse during official breaks of course) this evening its been slow at home; I say slow, but what I actually mean is almost standstill.

Mine is ok! what are you using indows IE or Firefox etc? There has been problems with IE in the past.

Stilts

Or it could be your internet connection.

stilts

Purple_Flash

ADC
And here was I thinking that it was 'interesting' that it happened just when the media would be very keen to hear the views of soldiers on foot of the CGS's recent remarks.

<Tin foil hat on>

My one was slow, would not connect and had an arrse error message at one point between 1600/1730. On FF.

Was a bit wobbly earlier, but works OK now.

msr

Very slow loading pages for me and sometimes it just freezes up entirely.

This has been going on for quite a while now.

Site having a bad couple of days (I understand there are some ongoing changes) or is it my connection from the states?

Also a question about times between postings, what are they? I keep getting messages telling me I'm posting too soon after my last post and after 5 minutes they, the messages, are still there. Possibly connected to the above?

No it's sheer load. Monday is always busy, but this afternoon seems to have tipped it over the edge. I have a plan, but not one that I can do without taking the site off, and it is still just about usable, so I will wait until later tonight. I can only say what I always do. "Working on it" - sorry.

Also another apology for stopping you from posting twice for the last hour. Related to the correction in server time.

Thanks Good Co for the quick answer.

Good CO said:
No it's sheer load. Monday is always busy, but this afternoon seems to have tipped it over the edge. I have a plan, but not one that I can do without taking the site off, and it is still just about usable, so I will wait until later tonight. I can only say what I always do. "Working on it" - sorry.

Also another apology for stopping you from posting twice for the last hour. Related to the correction in server time.
They site has been like wading through quick sand, on and off, for sometime. Are you still being DDOS'd.

This seems to be a regular thing of late.

Is it purely traffic flow breaking the server or the amount of info stored on it to keep the site running?

As opposed to buying bigger and more expensive servers each time (its clearly not helped since the last upgrade), is it time to curb the site a bit?

It just seems that as the site gets more popular, it gets more traffic, that in turn pushes the server to critical mass therefore requiring bigger, faster more expensive servers. To pay for these, the site needs to increase its revenue. To do this, it throws out higher stats to attract the advertisers and thus drags in more traffic. I think the key to stopping the site requiring NASA mainframe, is breaking the chain somewhere along the line.

Its getting to the stage where quite a few will just walk away from the site due to it just not working. Not to mention advertisers not being to happy about paying into a site thats slower than Bernard Manning in a marathon.

Of course, that may help the speed if people do just poke off elswhere. :roll:

GCO, please dont take this as a dig as I know you're not in the frame of mind to listen to this sort of crap at the moment. It's just the place seems to be grinding to a halt on a more frequent basis and I really don't know what the solution is apart from popping across to NASA and asking them for a lend of their puter. As I said, my thoughts may be towards trimming the site a bit. We may have 35000 odd registered members but how many are dormant? How much server capacity is taken up by 6 years worth of archives? Does making the site more attractive to newcomers actually make the issue worse by firstly slowing everything down with the added extras and secondly perpetuating the problem by having floods of new people joining?

I'm not asking for selective membership or even reverting to how it was 6 years ago. I just see the site stalling at a critical mass at the moment. Would it be possible to break the site up into several parts? I'm not sure how you are working the place but I think the Arsepedia works off board of the main site. Would it be prudent to have the busy part ie the forums working on a seperate standalone and have all the peripherals spread out too? It may at least mean the core of the site runs smoothly.

No doubt you've got all this covered and my above is irrelevant as it is either not practical or its the way you already work it. I'm just concerned that the site may go stale if it appears to be broken.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Real problems with the site today even worse than normal
Read a page - come out - login - read a page and on and on
When posting darn't preview anything as it results in a waste of time
I'm at work so got a decent broadband plus other sites are ok
Sorry to add to the woe but as flashy says there have ben times when I've gone to E goat for a break from it all................Thats how bad it's getting they like movers ffs

I'd imagine the redesign of the site has encouraged greater searching, and with the site size and increasing popularity of the site, SQL queries must be going through the roof.

Very slow indeed with me at the moment (both i.e. and ff, so it isn't the browser) so I suspect that SQL optimisation may be on the cards, certainly if server loads are running high. I have used LightPD to good advantage in similar situations, but that means a major change.

TLF makes a point about splitting up archived materal, perhaps putting it on a slave box, resulting in slower access for thr more obscure pages. Have you got cacheing set to "on"?

The site has an average load time of 1.6S according to Alexa, well clear of the magical "7S or lose 'em" maxim. For me, it's taking around 45S at the moment, so the problems aren't being exaggerated. Page views are consistently high, traffic ranking looks fairly constant, so I suspect it's more an issue of messing with SQL as opposed to chucking dormant users or more hardware at things.

Good luck, GCO and BCO, you've done really well, hopefuly a bit of SQL tweaking should soon resolve the issue

I feel awful for saying this, but today DII/JPA loaded quicker, please don't suspend my account. I'm only being honest...

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
This seems to be a regular thing of late.

No doubt you've got all this covered and my above is irrelevant as it is either not practical or its the way you already work it. I'm just concerned that the site may go stale if it appears to be broken.
All good ideas and you've hit the nail on the head with a lot. Also we have talked about previously - particularly splitting up the forums in to several parts so that we don't load a monster forum page every time. Also this would mean a search only had to search one part.

Also the posts can be pruned - one of our major problems is the sheer size of the database. The problem is that this is stuff that once done is gone for good - these sort of sweeping chops are contentious areas between me and Bad CO.

However the problem at the moment isn't actually the database performance for once (cured last time by removing half of its word search ability). It doesn't seem to be anything to do with the site mods either as I've disabled any that could be doing anything. Killing the search has helped but the load on the processor is still inexplicably high, and at the moment there are no signs of a DOS attack.

We have a spare server waiting in the wings which the site needs to go on, so I think we will probably move hurriedly to this tomorrow night, even though it won't be the smooth move I had planned and the site will go down while the IP changes.

Meanwhile. I fully register the point that this is happening too often and yes, we need to fix the site at a limited size of we're to stop the throw-money-at-it cycle. I put huge amounts of time into keeping the ever growing monster limping along, and it has to stop somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.