Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Site Guard.

Well done that man

So he heard those inside the secure area go outside and decided to threaten them with death
I did a number of site guards at Menden which I assumed had the warheads for 50 missile. Fortunately as I was a signaller at that time and I setup and ran the ops room at 50 missile camp and maned the radio/plcomds radio man.

During one guard we had an inspection on our readiness by the US. A US officer walked up the hill and was challenged by the sentry who made ready and aimed at him challenging him in a very threatening way. The soldier knew who he was but would have happily fired as per his orders just for shit and giggles. US officer was suitably impressed with the sentries reactions and drills. He then moved onto the guard room and informed the Pl Sgt that a helicopter had landed in the compound and debussed a number of soldiers. He said this was an exercise so no live rounds to be used.

A number of US soldiers came out of the inner compound to act as the OPFOR. The Pl Sgt gave QBOs and the sections deployed. It was at this point that the US soldiers remembered that they had not thought to bring respirators with them. As part of the QBOs the Pl Sgt had given orders to use CS gas on the intruders. Said US officer was very happy with the response and actions of the Pl Sgt in dealing with the incident. We did not think the US soldier held a similar view. Much hilarity has had by us in our respirators watching the OPFOR suffer the effects of the gas.

We at the time still had Larkspur but as we came under 50 missile we were issued with Clansman for the guard. One day I had to take back to the signals store a 351 that was not working. I gave it to the storman who looked at the number and said "this one again", picked up a 2 pound tool fine adjusting and gave it a whelly with the ball end. "That'll sort it, I'll give you a new one". The 351 now had a round hole in it letting in daylight and water. As a young LCpl I was a little shocked.

I did a number of site guards at Menden which I assumed had the warheads for 50 missile. Fortunately as I was a signaller at that time and I setup and ran the ops room at 50 missile camp and maned the radio/plcomds radio man.

During one guard we had an inspection on our readiness by the US. A US officer walked up the hill and was challenged by the sentry who made ready and aimed at him challenging him in a very threatening way. The soldier knew who he was but would have happily fired as per his orders just for shit and giggles. US officer was suitably impressed with the sentries reactions and drills. He then moved onto the guard room and informed the Pl Sgt that a helicopter had landed in the compound and debussed a number of soldiers. He said this was an exercise so no live rounds to be used.

A number of US soldiers came out of the inner compound to act as the OPFOR. The Pl Sgt gave QBOs and the sections deployed. It was at this point that the US soldiers remembered that they had not thought to bring respirators with them. As part of the QBOs the Pl Sgt had given orders to use CS gas on the intruders. Said US officer was very happy with the response and actions of the Pl Sgt in dealing with the incident. We did not think the US soldier held a similar view. Much hilarity has had by us in our respirators watching the OPFOR suffer the effects of the gas.

We at the time still had Larkspur but as we came under 50 missile we were issued with Clansman for the guard. One day I had to take back to the signals store a 351 that was not working. I gave it to the storman who looked at the number and said "this one again", picked up a 2 pound tool fine adjusting and gave it a whelly with the ball end. "That'll sort it, I'll give you a new one". The 351 now had a round hole in it letting in daylight and water. As a young LCpl I was a little shocked.

Were you issued anything other than live rounds for that gig?

Were you issued anything other than live rounds for that gig?
We're going back one or two years now so I won't stack your life on it but 7.62 ball fall ammo scale so 120 rds per rifleman, X number of 9mm for the SMG, me, possibly 3 mags, 7.62 link by the can, signal grenades. Can't remember if we had smk (WP) in PL stores or AT weapons or 2 inch or L2s as it was not issued to me and I did not sign for it. But if the site was under attack then the brown and smelly had hit the fan so I would think we had our full war front line stock available. The site guard on site also had a reserve stock sealed in boxes but again not my responsibility so not sure what they had. The CS was for crowd control just in case some boxheads came by with banners and attitude and for use before the civ police turned up.

All this ammo came from our unit stockes and a similar scale was issued to the reinforcing Coy back at the Bn.

We had a number of sections at the site under comd of the Pl Sgt, 2 Pls as a QRF in Menden and a Coy on NTM (not sure how long this was but I would think about an hour).

I remember doing crash outs from the barracks. We used to hurl bodies into the back of the 4 tonner. I think I did 7 site guards, one over the New Year.

We're going back one or two years now so I won't stack your life on it but 7.62 ball fall ammo scale so 120 rds per rifleman, X number of 9mm for the SMG, me, possibly 3 mags, 7.62 link by the can, signal grenades. Can't remember if we had smk (WP) in PL stores or AT weapons or 2 inch or L2s as it was not issued to me and I did not sign for it. But if the site was under attack then the brown and smelly had hit the fan so I would think we had our full war front line stock available. The site guard on site also had a reserve stock sealed in boxes but again not my responsibility so not sure what they had. The CS was for crowd control just in case some boxheads came by with banners and attitude and for use before the civ police turned up.

All this ammo came from our unit stockes and a similar scale was issued to the reinforcing Coy back at the Bn.

We had a number of sections at the site under comd of the Pl Sgt, 2 Pls as a QRF in Menden and a Coy on NTM (not sure how long this was but I would think about an hour).

Same as when I did it, which is why I questioned the order not to use 'live' ammo.

Mixing blank into the equation would never end well.

I also never heard of anyone entering the inner compound, the response to such an event was briefed as to open up on them regardless of how they were dressed, what they were doing, even if they were evacuating a 'crashed' aircraft, no questions, without hesitation. End of.