Site Downloads?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by wg100, Nov 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't ask me why (for those who are interested, I was bored and needed to look as if I was doing something) but I decided to have a look at the web archive of Arrse, back in the days when it was a youngster.

I have to say that the site we have now is a far cry from the first incarnation.

My question though: Would a downloads section ever be feasible again? It would mean we could have a central repository for all the clips, pics, etc that we come up with. Surely the cost of additional storage/bandwith is covered already by the generous donations of Arrsers?
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Storage and bandwidth is no problem and you more than paid it every month, you're right. The problem was that no-one used it - I suspect that this won't have changed.
  3. I think that nowadays, more people use powerpoint in lectures and would benefit, from a central collection of clips/pics that would be used. I download a lot of the funny pics from the gallery for putting in ppt. I am always on the lookout for Military video clips, be it funny or serious.
  4. That may be the case, however the recent thread on Film Clips is an example where a central repository could come in handy.
  5. I'll second that. I'm constantly on the lookout for good stuff to put into presentations, pictures, clips or other serious/funny items.
  6. Copyright would be Arrse's problem. If Arrse hosted Images or video that was protected by Copyright, they'd get bummed by the owner. Unless of course arrse and its users wanted to pay....
  7. It didn't seem to be a problem in the past Cpl_ripper.
  8. Your quite right, however theres some right knobbers who jump at the chance to bring down Arrse, Which would be very very bad
  9. Very bad indeed. So is there a way around it?
  10. Well what if it was in a password protected section, only available to those who have a certain number of posts?
  11. Then Mr. Copyright wouldn't be able to see it? Sounds plausable.
  12. Well, Mr nosey-jobsworth-cruising-the-internet-looking-for-copyright-infringements shouldn't be able to see it if that was implemented. Then if anything came up about it, you'd know it was an inside job and be able to get the stasi on it...