Site & Domain rediect advice please

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Swamp_Rat, Dec 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay I have my personal site hosted by Bravenet, I own the domain name for that, ie;

Bravenet offer me nine other subdomains in the deal.

I need to set up another site with another domain name.

I have registered the next other domain name and as previously stated, I have the space available as a subdomain.

Roger so far? Okay well...

My question is, how do I create the redirect, or what do I have to do to be able say

instead of

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The easiest way is to write a redirect into the HTML language of your new page, rather than muck about with DNS redirections.

That way you can code the browser to display whichever URL you wish.

A Google of " URL Redirect Code" or "URL Redirect Script" will give you plenty of info.

Good Luck!
  3. Just what I what thinking (ahem)

Okay I'll go have a play around with that then and see what pops up, as the actress said to the Bishop.

Thanks then mate, I appreciate your time.
  4. I don't know about your hosting provider, but with mine I can create subdomains by making new directories under public_html. So, creating a directory "stuff" would make people going to go straight to that folder. The IP of the server is the same, just the location to which people are pointed to is different. I hope that was the question you asked?
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The question was about redirection not sub domains, but a valid point though
  6. Oh, redirection is easy. Add a meta tag to the html of the page something similar to this:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="5; URL=">
  7. Thanks for your tip ynnaD, much appreciated.

What I actually did was;

1.) create a subdomain within my allocated 50mb

2.) register the new domain name

3.) upload new domain pages

4.) add the php script in the head of the index page;

and that seems to be up and running and working okay.

I did see the meta tag trick and I see you have specified a 5 second delay for the redirection.

Which is why I didn't use that technique; because of the delay.

The php script works neat, don't ask me to explain how but it does the job.

Thanks again, sincerely. I appreciate your time and the things you have spoken of have added to the fabric of the rich and colourful tapestry that is my life.