Sit ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sappagirl, Feb 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone straighten something out for me. Myself and a mate were practing our sit ups/ press ups etc when we came onto the topic of the 'form' of an army sit up.
    Now, he thinks that once you have 'sat up' you them only need to lower yourself back e.g. only mid/lower back touches the floor. I disagree and thought your shoulders have to touch the mat in order for it to be counted as a full sit up.
    Any PTI's on here to tell us we're both wrong?!

2. I'm not a PTI but the answer to your question is that the base of the shoulder blades has to touch the mat.
    c

3. Ive got one too. Legs bent or straight?

4. " The individual lies in a supine position on a mat with his/her knees bent between 70/110 degrees and the feet no more than 8 cm apart. The arms are folded across the chest with the finger tips placed in the depression above the clavicle (collar bone), close to the shoulder and must be maintained in this position throughout the assessment.

The scorer holds the feet in place (one part of your foot must remain in contact with the ground).

The sit up is initiated by curling up to reach the vertical position (The vertical position means that the base of your neck is in a position directly above the base of your spine), followed by a return to the starting position, ensuring that the shoulder blades gently touch the floor.

Sit ups are performed for a period of two minutes or until the performer can no longer continue due to the unset of fatigue.

However, rest periods are permitted provided that the correct rest position (the original start position) is adopted."

Source PTI(Army) Procedural Briefs.

5. Carlsberg dont answer questions on Arrse, but if they did.......

Cheers.

6. So i was right!! hehe

Thanks POG

7. Cracking answer, is their a brief for the sqauddie push up too (not a dig, seriously, is there one?)

8. Yup!

PRESS UPS

"The individual lies flat on the stomach/chest with legs straight the feet not more than 30 cms apart and the hands positioned under the shoulders

Ensure that the hands and the feet are on the same level, either both on the mat or both on the floor, The press up is performed by straightening the arms, until they are fully locked at the elbows, using the toes as a pivot. The body is then lowered gently to the floor.

The body must be kept straight throughout. Press ups are performed for a period of two minutes or until the individual can no longer continue due to the onset of fatigue. However rest periods are permitted provided that the correct rest position is adopted. (starting Position)"

Source = PTI (Army) Procedural Briefs

NB: My Bold above - When I did my PTI's course the instructors where very particular with that point and as a PTI I have had to maintain that. The hands must remain under the shoulders during each press up to count.

This means in order to correctly perform the exercise your elbows are drawn in against your ribcage.

Hope that helps

now b**ger off and let me run my website

www.pocketcomms.co.uk (shameless self publicist that I am)

9. Nice little product!

10. PFT - Press-ups Test Protocol/Criteria.

1. Participants are to lie flat on their stomach/chest with legs straight and feet not more than 30cm apart. Their hands are to be positioned, palms down (they may face inwards slightly) in a comfortable position from which they are able to commence the exercise. The hands and feet must be on the same level (i.e. both on the mat or both on the floor). This is known as, the “Start Position”.

Press-up position 1

2 . The Press-up is performed from the Start Position by straightening the arms until they are fully locked at the elbows, using the toes as a pivot. The body is then lowered (by bending the elbows) until the upper arms are at least parallel to the floor. The body must be kept straight throughout the Press-up.

Press-up position 2

3. Press-ups are performed within a continuous 2-minute period and participants continue with the exercise until the 2 minutes elapses or they are unable to continue due to the onset of fatigue. Rest periods are permissible as necessary and participants may adopt a rest position of their choice but they must return to the Start Position before resuming the test.

Just found this on Army website - http://www.army.mod.uk/rtmc/organisation/j3_operational_training_wing/fitness_info/fitness_criteria_pressups.htm

Only difference to the above is the rest position, you can now get up and walk around if you want. Same also applies for sit-up rest position.

11. Thanks Matey
    (we do a military version too)

PogS

12. so basically its a close grip press-up ?

13. No.. wtf?

I would hardly thing hands under shoulders counts as close grip.

J.

14. do you fail it all if you do the sit ups and the run ok but dont manage enough press ups?

15. Yes, you do. The PFT must be completed as a whole, a failure in any field denotes an entire PFT fail. You have to do the whole thing again to get a pass and not just the part you failed on.

I find the best technique for either the sit ups or press ups is just to do them in blocks of 10 or so. The 50 sit ups you need in 2 minutes, is only 25 in the first minute. That's roughly 13 each 30 seconds, much time for a rest in between. Very similar for the press ups, but with only 44 to do. If you practice like this, you'll soon find yourself easily managing (and exceeding) the requirements to pass.