Sit-ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by putteesinmyhands, May 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking for some serious advice on how to do sit-ups. Even as a kid, I was never able to do them.

Training advice is to do 10-15, break, another 10-15, break and so on. The trouble is, I struggle to get 8, after which I strain but don't move at all, even after resting. It seems that no amount of repetition increases this number. Been trying about 5 times per week for the last 4 weeks and still no better. I managed to get 20 during the PFT, but 12 of these were achieved by rebounding off the rubber mat.

It's been suggested to me that I try strengthening my stomach muscles by doing leg lifts. This is no problem to me - any number, any duration, any speed - so I don't really think that the muscles are the problem.

I'm wondering if it's a function of spine shape. When I lie on my back, I can easily get my hand underneath the small of my back - In fact, I can get most of my forearm under. And I can't force my spine onto the floor, the gap remains, no matter what. Also, trying sit-ups without a firm anchor on my feet just results in leg-lifts.

Am I inadvertantly locking my spine into the opposite direction to that needed to do sit-ups?

Any advice will be gratefully received, especially as I can't find any posts that suggest that other people have trouble with sit-ups.

2. It wouldn't make much of a difference but do you use a mat to do them on?

3. No, just carpet.

4. I would definetly suggest using a mat. I can do them without one, but it really does hurt my spine afterwards.

5. May be an idea. I suppose a spongy one would give all of my back a chance to assist, rather than just working the top half, then progress to something a bit firmer once the body's got the hang of the movement. It's worth a try. Thanks.

6. I would say thats the problem, your stomach muscles are not only trying to lift your upper body but also fighting against the reverse curve in your spine, if its not a physical fault I`d say you were tensing up too much. get someone to sit on your stomach and then try it :D

7. My neck is a similar shape - should I get someone to sit on my face? :lol:

8. If it relaxes you why not :D

9. stupid question here....are sit ups done with a straight back or let your spine bend?

I can do both, just one uses more/different muscles

just one of those things where i have never known but never feel its the time or place the ask

10. When on the carpet stick a cushion under the small of your back, this stops me getting back pain.

11. When on the carpet stick a cushion under the small of your back, this stops me getting back pain.

12. How does sticking a cushion under the small of MY back stop YOU getting back pain? :?

But if it helps...

13. Quick Answer From an ex army class 2 PTI and qualified personal trainer in canary wharf, london.

Method is your weakness. With the spinal condition you unfortunately have to tender, you should practice the sit ups on a swiss ball/gym ball. You should then progress onto using the sit up bench in your gym to strengthen your abs. There are many more exercises I can prescribe so should you need any free advice, be sure to PM me and we can get you over this dynamic block and get you where you wish to be. Always happy to give out good advice. I would be happy to email you a fantasic document purely dedicated to abdominal exercises although as I said to the guy asking the same thing about 'pull ups', do your self a favour and train with a partner, even if they don't join in, they can watch your exercise and critique you and motivate you.

You'll be fine

Andy

14. Thanks, PM sent.

15. ok with 'sit-ups' whats the deal, am i ment to get all the way up, so my chest is on my thighs? or just get head shoulders and top of back off the ground by a bit....i've been told diffrent by a few people, which should i practise