Sit ups. Weebles. You be the judge.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by lastresort, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear ARRSE PTIs....

I KNOW this is a bone question, but it does matter. Training for an initial selection weekend at some point in the not too distant future. Given the LardArrse condition I started in in November, it's all going in the right direction.

One problem. Sit ups. If someone holds my ankles, or I stick my feet under a wardrobe, no problem, 60 ish in two minutes, which is not too embarrassing for my age and intended arm of service. However, several people have helpfully uploaded the modfit video, and the man in green working out is just flat on the floor. When I try this...cue soundtrack... "as darkness gathers, the Last Weeble trains for War!" there's a lot of rolling backwards and forwards, explosive breathing and then pathetic moobling. I just don't seem to be able to manage it.

So - blocking ankles/feet. Allowed? or have I answered my own question, and am in more trouble than enough?

Waits expectantly....
  2. well i hope so, thats the only way i can do em !!
  3. at least I'm not the only one! :)
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's assisted sit-ups. You'll be paired with someone who will hold your feet (was for me anyway)

Edit to add: although I'm TA. Some of the regs may be able to answer more fully.
  5. I agree, as long as you are about 50 but, as you are hoping to join up in the near future, I have to assume you are much younger; therefore, 60 situps in 2 mins is pish poor.

Holding of the ankles is allowed although lifting your fat arrse off ground and throwing yourself forward is not. In preparation for your 'selection' you should work on your all round fitness as well as bashing out the situps.
  6. im only 17 and i cn only do about 60 assistant sit-ups in 2mins :S, what are you supposed to me aiming for
  7. Thanks for confirming that sixty; I'll be TA as well - think the requirement is 45, but absolutely agree with M2M that the number needs to be as high as possible, with the right technique. Besides, who wants to do the minimum.

Especially as everything's harder on the day/half of them will be discounted by the PTIs for fun/delete as appropriate :)

good luck R3me_kid!
  8. the number you require depends on your age for example a male under the age of thirty in two mins is required to do 44 press ups and then fifty situps and run 2.4kms in no longer than 10.30mins
    this is for M.A.T.T.S. PFT
    see not all pti are b --t--ds
  9. fcuk me, you bunch of girls.
    you neeed to strengthen your your abs here is a suggestion that may help you.

1: In an unsupported sit up position with your palms on the floor lift your upper body off the groung and slide your hands towards your heels do this 20 times

2: without a break straighten your legs flat to the floor do the same as above but trying to reach just past you knees do this 20 times

3: without a break , hands to temples or to back of head lift your upper body and yor legs so your doing left elbow to right knee right elbow to left knee do this 20 times

no edit but exuse the spelling... to much wine with dinner :yawnstretch:
    4:without a break do a sit up but bring your knees to your chest in the same movement do this 20 times

5: DO IT AGAIN

10. and then come up for air :neutral:
  11. yeah ok ..... take two breaths then 50 pressups, 50 alternating squats and 50 burpees. now take a some air... no , then its working

Twice round my beautiful body .... GO! :headbang:

edited for being soft
  12. I unassisted sit ups because i reckon that with my legs under the sofa/bed/being held it works my legs and puts some strain on my lower back. But when i do do assisted sits i can bang out bout 90 in 2 mins.
  13. Sure - it's not the PTIs who are the problem. Last time around (1989), one said "Beestin'? You're doing this to yerselves lads LASTRESORTHOLDSTILLYAWEEFECKYA!"

The times are coming down, the reps are going up. Can't ask for more than that. Well, for now. Thanks for the pointers guys.