Sit-ups outdated?

Is this the END of the sit up?

Well it appears the US Military is looking at replacing sit-ups with planking as part of its fitness regimes, due to the former being responsible for causing lower back pain. I wonder what the findings of these trials and how long it'll be before we Brits follow suit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it appears the US Military is looking at replacing sit-ups with planking as part of its fitness regimes, due to the former being responsible for causing lower back pain. I wonder what the findings of these trials and how long it'll be before we Brits follow suit?

We'll have to wait until someone thinks up a suitable excuse why females wont have to plank as long as a bloke.

Do it off their knees like they do press ups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I can see where they are coming from. Soldiers get enough lower back abuse as it is. Perhaps half and half as it were would be better? Are the same muscle groups worked to the same degree? I've never found sit ups difficult but planking seems a bit harder somehow. How do the two equate in terms of sit ups per minute planking?

Sit-ups primarily focus on your hip flexors and "pelvic girdle" - they're not a test of core strength in the same way as a plank.

Most civvies have more or less forgotten about sit ups nowadays. Crunches, leg raises, Russian twists and planking are seen as doing more for whatever it was that sit ups were supposed to do (which I don't think was very much)

Most civvies have more or less forgotten about sit ups nowadays. Crunches, leg raises, Russian twists and planking are seen as doing more for whatever it was that sit ups were supposed to do (which I don't think was very much)
Add - and squats.

I don't remember hearing that anyone's decided that they're bad for you, they've just quietly given way to more modern ideas.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
What exactly is planking?

I've never heard of this before.

Poppy

LE
we always did sit ups in warm up session before jujitsu

What exactly is planking?

I've never heard of this before.
This image is protected by wahshield.

image-813972-breitwandaufmacher-vpge-813972.jpg

we always did sit ups in warm up session before jujitsu
It's not like it's against the law or anything. Just that there's new ideas about nowadays. Plus, unless he's a cage fighter or something, you'd maybe expect a sensei to be a bit more traditional/less up to date than a 20 year old gym instructor.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

View attachment 228719

It's not like it's against the law or anything. Just that there's new ideas about nowadays. Plus, unless he's a cage fighter or something, you'd maybe expect a sensei to be a bit more traditional/less up to date than a 20 year old gym instructor.
Honestly didn't have a clue, I'm n my mid fifties for crying out loud!
So what planking is, is press ups on your forearms? Bloody strange.

Honestly didn't have a clue, I'm n my mid fifties for crying out loud!
So what planking is, is press ups on your forearms? Bloody strange.
No. The object of the exercise is to hold still in a perfectly straight line - which is a bit harder than you might think.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer

View attachment 228719

Is that female infantry doing it in the photo.?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
A lot of a sit-up uses the leg muscles and not the stomach, anyway.

I've got a knackered sacroiliac joint so tend to do a lot of front and side planks, often with weights. They are very good for core strength (and, in my case, are the difference in staying working and mobile).

Latest Threads