Sit Up Question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by delinquent, Mar 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trying to get myself into shape to re-enlist and I noticed from the Army Fit website and the videos that they do sit ups in a completely different way than what I remember where I used to hold my hands to my ears and then crunch!

So, whats the way to do it? The way in the Army Fitness or the "Old School" approach? What do they expect at recruit selection?

Thanks in advance

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Elbows in tight, arms crossed across the chest. Go ;)

3. Some things never change, don't tell me army fit has been superceded already

4. elbows tucked in

finger tips touching collar bone

5. Feet flat on the floor, keep your elbows tight against the chest, don't bounce your hips.

6. I take it you're not allowed to lock your feet into anything so your feet don't come off the floor when sitting up?

Just seen the clip too, and I've *always* been taught that locking your feet under something (sofa/bed/climbing bar/whatever) was the right way.

Doing it 'my' way I can do sit ups til the cows come home, not sure about the 'other' way though :shakefist:

7. According to the MATTS test rules
    http://www.army.mod.uk/servingsoldier/matt_wip_.htm
    you would have someone holding your feet down. I've been locking my feet under the edge of the bed. I think this new method is tougher than the old elbow to knee method. It really does your stomach muscles.

8. Cheers STAB.

Yeah I've been locking feet under the bed too/getting my flatmate to hold my feet down or whatever

Good to hear that at ADSC I can still have someone doing that.

Thanks again

9. No troubles bubbles!

Are you going back in to regs or TA? I'm looking at getting back into TA inf now the age limits have gone up.

10. Going Regs, first time not 'back into' though :thumright:

Following the family tradition with RAC down as first choice *fingers crossed* ;)

11. so then you will be just plain stab?, not very good is it :D

Your right though, the 'new' method does seem harder and is a right killer on the stomach.
    Although I think it to avoid people 'rolling' their back which can cause injury. But, then again, im probably talking out of my arrse

12. Sorry, thought you'd started the thread, it's Delinquent who's going back in.

Good luck in RAC!

13. hehe :)

And cheers! :thumright:

14. Well I've got to get on top of the fitness first but I think I can do it. It's harder at 37 when you've not done that type of training for years.

It had occurred to me that I'd have to change my username but I don't think I'll bother. I suppose I could be Re-STAB?

15. Could be... :)

And good luck with getting back on top with the fitness :thumright: