Sister of war hero auctions medals on eBay

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by piespies, Jul 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quote - "She said that he had drawn up a will in her presence but the will was lost by Army administrators before it could be sent for safekeeping to a documents handling centre"

The Army losing some important paperwork/document? Nah, surely not!

2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This would be a "second will". That only she seems to know about.

3. Mr Langley buys the medals at a price that he admits is far lower than their value- quite likely knowing could sell them at 4x the amount he paid, according to him.

Good business sense or taking advantage of someone's lack of medal value, depending on your point of view.

According to the Mail (and himself apparently), he's the good guy- I'll reserve judgement on that.

It doesn't sound like the medals were the contested part of the will-just the house and the mortgage insurance so it's quite possible that it was always intended the medals go to his sister to do with them as she wishes- When should you stop criticising someone for selling their loved one's medals, two years? ten years? twenty? - It's hardly a rare occurance.

4. I think the outrage part of this sorry modern tale is the sister sold her brothers medals etc so she could fook off on holiday! not to feed her sprog or pay the evil landlord. She bleats about her single mother circumstances like that is an excuse for her behaviour to her brothers memoray. I take it when she got her "30 pieces of silver" she informed the good folks down at the benefits office? No thought not.

5. As I understand it,he returned the medals to the guys fiancée,piccy in paper a bit of a clue maybe?

6. [​IMG]
    I want the best for my son, innit?

Yeah, that's why you spunked £1,100 up the wall.

7. She took the price offered: for better or worse. Welcome to capitalism.

8. As I said, depends on your point of view.

There are other examples of capitalism here- unless Mr Langley waived his fee from the Daily Mail, he's no doubt made a few bob.

And the fiancee, who 'despite being unavailable for comment' managed to provide a photograph of the couple and pose with the medals for the agency photographer.

And of course the sister, who no doubt got a fee for the use of her photo.

I'm blaming neither the fiancee or the sister but people grieve in their own way- it's a bit presumpious, I reckon, for the readership of the Daily Mail to dictate how the sister should cope with her loss.

Perhaps better all round if Mr Langley had performed his good deeds without the publicity.