Sister of an Ex Royal Signals would appreciate 2 mins of your time

I am posting this after reading about it in a national newspaper recently, and frankly I was absolutely appalled that this can happen. the following is an appeal for signatures on change.org by Gill Thompson the sister of David Clapson ex Royal Sigs, I have put the link at the end and if you can get others to sign all the better, tag a reply to show your support and pass it on.

My brother, David Clapson, a diabetic ex-soldier, died starving and destitute because he was penalised by the Job Centre for missing a meeting.

David had his £71.70 weekly allowance stopped meaning that he couldn’t afford food or electricity. He was penniless, starving and alone. His electricity card was out of credit meaning the fridge where he should have kept his diabetes insulin chilled was not working. Three weeks after his benefits were stopped he died from diabetic ketoacidosis – caused by not taking his insulin.

David wasn’t a “scrounger”. He had worked for 29 years; 5 years in the Army – including two years in Northern Ireland in the 1970s, during the height of the troubles – 16 years with British Telecom, eight years with various other companies, and in recent years was a carer for our sick mother. When mum went into a home, David turned to the state for help, receiving benefits while he looked for work and taking unpaid work placements.

When he died he had just £3.44 to his name, six tea bags, a tin of soup and an out-of-date can of sardines. A coroner also found he had no food in his stomach.

People turn to the state when they are in need - that is what the system is for - a safety net for hard working people like my brother when they need a bit of support.That £71.70 a week was his lifeline. To withhold it from him for missing one meeting is cruel. And the heartbreaking thing is that he was really trying. CVs for job applications were found near David’s body. He had been on work placements, passed his fork lift truck certificate and had been on a computer training course.

Like many others I believe that benefits sanctions (penalties by the government for things like missing Jobcentre meetings) are completely out of control and putting those most in need at risk. A million people have been sanctioned in the last year – many of them are extremely vulnerable like my brother was.

I want to know how the Department of Work and Pensions can justify welfare sanctions that are driving people to foodbanks and leading to starvation and death. The DWP were aware of my brother’s diabetes and insulin dependency, and, if as they say, they followed procedures and no errors were made, then why did my brother die?

Questions need to be asked of how Iain Duncan Smith is justifying benefit sanctions. What is the full impact of these sanctions? Are they working or simply putting the vulnerable further at risk?

I don’t want anybody else to die like this.

Please sign my petition for a full independent inquiry into the DWP’s sanctions regime.

Gill Thompson

Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...pt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

The silly tart's brother died because he didn't take his insulin, not because he was poor and anyway what sort of woman watches her brother suffer whilst blaming others?

I smell a compensayshun claim.

I have had some exposure to the Job Centre, its machinations and of those that use it over the last year, I use one to interview and pre-screen candidates on JSA and have a healthy respect for those that work there.

Not a lot is expected, particurlarly for those on JSA. You are required to provide evidence of job searches and actions taken to find work by way of filling in a diary of sorts that you then present when you sign on, you have to sign on just once a fortnight and it takes 15 minutes max, you are afforded your own personal advisor that you can email or call, you are given other numbers to call if you need other support, you are given access to the Universal Job Match site, training is offered (we have been delivering the SIA Door Supervision L2 course now for some time, course and badge paid for), they will pay your travel to and from interviews, they provide help with CV writing, interview skills ect, they assist with getting hold of suitable clobber for an interview if needed, I can go on..

If you fail to turn up without reason or without calling anyone to advise of your circumstances then you are rightfully signed off, if you cant evidence what you have been doing to find work then you may be signed off, I have witnessed a few incidents whilst I have been working from the Job Centre where punters have kicked off because they didnt turn up to be signed on and thus havent been paid their benefit so they turn up at the Job Centre expecting a payment.

Its not hard, turn up once a fortnight, show willing and show proof of your efforts to get back into work and you get 70 odd quid a week.

Sad story though either way.

Last edited:
I'm staggered as to why the sister feels she bears no responsibility.

Let's have a petition to demand that people look after their own families.

So - whose sock account is Da Bomb, anyway. Joined 2008, but seems not to have posted very much at all. Would this be Busgy having a political pop at the government perchance?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Interesting he is flagged as Ex Royal Sigs as opposed to Ex BT or similar.

I thought that and have said, on another thread about this, strange that he wasn't in receipt of a BT pension after 16 years. My wife is and she only worked for them for 10 years.

Also as ex Royal Signals why none of those who appear to be so concerned didn't contact The Royal Signals Benevolent Fund, it's what it's there for.

Right, my misunderstanding, the Government stops his money, he can't buy food, therefore it's his sister's fault. Let me think again about this, no, sorry, that's absolute bullshit..... As for the insulin issue, insulin removes excess glucose from the blood, if you don't eat, all the insulin in the world is not going to help you. But hey, fill your boots, so much simpler than evaluating the evidence.....

Right, my misunderstanding, the Government stops his money, he can't buy food, therefore it's his sister's fault. Let me think again about this, no, sorry, that's absolute bullshit..... As for the insulin issue, insulin removes excess glucose from the blood, if you don't eat, all the insulin in the world is not going to help you. But hey, fill your boots, so much simpler than evaluating the evidence.....
Only because he didn't do what he was told to do. Had he done so you wouldn't be bleating on here.

He died because the people who had a duty to care for him didn't. His sister neglected him - to death and now she wants compo.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
So - whose sock account is Da Bomb, anyway. Joined 2008, but seems not to have posted very much at all. Would this be Busgy having a political pop at the government perchance?
Indeed, obviously somebody on a wind up. Perhaps @oldbaldy may want to hoof this to the hole, already been done anyway.

They stopped his money because he didnt turn up, simple, those on DLA are the ones not required to periodically sign on. A simple phone call would have sufficed if he had a problem getting there and they would have re-arranged a signing time. I dont know how more simple the Government can make it for those in receipt of benefits.

appealing to the audience - if you look on a BT Arsse forum he was probably a veteran of the 1980's wooden telegraph pole - 3 tours.

Sad story though and to die alone etc i actually feel more anger toward the sister.

maybe you guys know something I don't, I 'm not really interested in the Sister's motivation and, as has been said, it's a very sad story. What's really pissing me off is why Gungythree feels at ease to press the bullshit button on me when he has **** all to say - what's the problem, gungy, spit it out.