Sir Terry Wogan

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Cuddles, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I am by no means a fan of the syrup-topped, blarney-spouting dee-diddily Irishman. I would not normally listen to his show but on Monday I turned on my wife's car to find her radio tuned to BBC R2. As I reached to put R4 on, I stopped.

The comedy Irish presenter and current "World's Loudest Sportsjacket" record holder was talking arrant good sense. Apparently he does not play dedications. However someone had written in to tell him that 40 Cdo were home and he broke his own rule to wish them a welcome home and to give a big up to British lads and lasses serving around the world.

He will no doubt be severely disciplined by BBC management but Sir Terry, well done and how amazing that it is a non-British presenter who hits the issue bang on the head?

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Courtesy of wikipedia, it appears that Sir T Wogan KBE DL is a British citizen.

"In 2005, Wogan was awarded an honorary knighthood in the Queen's Birthday Honours, but, as a result of becoming a British citizen that year, the knighthood was made substantive on October 11, 2005, allowing him to use the style "Sir".[21] He was made an honorary Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1997, which is now subsumed in the knighthood. On 29 May 2007 he was made a Deputy Lieutenant of Berkshire.[22]

In 2004, he was awarded the Gold Blue Peter Badge."

Bet he's proudest of the Gold Blue Peter badge.

3. Terry used to work for the Royal Bank of Ireland.
    If only he had stayed in, he would probably be a manager
    by now! :)

4. Hold the Front Page - Sir Tezza plays record for 40 Cdo.

Bet they were made up.

Especially if it was 'Floral Dance'

Get a grip Cuddles. Is it a slow news day? :D

5. Well I admire your unswerving cynicism marco_polaroid (crazy name, crazy guy!). The point I was making is that somebody somewhere was prepared to break out of the apathetic straitjacket which seems to constrain the main stream media and acknowledge that yes, we are fighting two wars and b)that our service people are worthy of recognition for their part in them, whatever view you hold on the justness of those conflicts. I further drew attention to the fact that of all unexpecterd sources for that information it was a BBC popular radio broadcast, made by a naturalized citizen (thanks Mr F I was aware).

Edited to remove: "So up your rusty hoop you gadget..."

6. Have a word Cuddles, only joking you daft get. :eek:
    All I was trying to say (cynically, agreed) ,was we have really reached a pretty pass when we are congratulating a washed up boring old fart of a radio presenter for mentioning the forces on the radio. If he could demonstrate what else he does for the forces i would be impressed!

Perhaps it's more of a reflection on the Beeb than El Tel

7. Wah to you too! I think El Tel has a pretty good record of doing good deeds for the boys and girls and has written a couple of articles for the Torygraph big-upping them.

Yes, it is wrong that I noticed him being on side. I would dearly love to have recorded my ennui at Jeremy Paxman, John Snow or David Dimbleby going on and on, again about our troops in harms way. However, I wait for that glorious moment but am not, repeat not, holding my breath!

8. Cuddles, you know that now makes you a "TOG!!

9. I've said it before and will no doubt keep on having to say it - the BBC is no friend of the Armed Forces (just like Gordon 'no one admires and respects the Armed Forces as much as I do' Broon).

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Paxman is a great supporter of our boys, along with the Hamster and the chap with the hair who did that prog on french booze with Oz Clark.

11. We are talking about the same Jeremy Paxman are we??

12. Oh hang on, I get it! You're an idiot.

You mean Clarkson not Paxman!!

13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

14. I believe that Wogan is not contracted to the BBC in the ordinary sense and therefore says what he likes within reason. he has a hugh listening audience and if he was not so popular then I'm sure the Bigoted Broadcasting Corporation would drop him like a lead weight. I used to like Jimmy Young as well because he used to get right up his guests noses [especially politicians] and although he wanted to die in the job they binned him.