Sir, Sir, 'me GAT doesn't work Sir!

Apart from the glee induced by resurrecting a thread that is over fifteen years old*, its interesting to note the concerns voiced herein about the A2...

* I remember when this was all fields. ARRSE was betterer then. Etc etc.
Standby for the incoming voices of "It's the bestest, most accurateist, reliablist rifle in the universe. Do tell us about YOUR experiences with it on deployment etc etc."

Greatest gun EVAH!
So greatest, no fecker other than the mugs who bought it originally will buy it
You've never carried, nor fired, the rifle concerned (and your only experience of the M16 is rangework with a butchered hack of a single shot rifle). You've had explanation and personal statements from users, and the results of some fairly brutal user trials prove you wrong. And yet, you ignore all of this, to start snipping away.

You're a clown who hasn't got a clue about firearms (and probably can't hit much of what you aim at, on the occasions that you try); your ability to contribute to the debate is pretty much zero. Situation normal, in your case.

Greatest gun EVAH!
Have you added small arms to the list of things you think you know everything about? You bluffing fantasist.

ugly

LE
You've never carried, nor fired, the rifle concerned (and your only experience of the M16 is rangework with a butchered hack of a single shot rifle). You've had explanation and personal statements from users, and the results of some fairly brutal user trials prove you wrong. And yet, you ignore all of this, to start snipping away.

You're a clown who hasn't got a clue about firearms (and probably can't hit much of what you aim at, on the occasions that you try); your ability to contribute to the debate is pretty much zero. Situation normal, in your case.
Fence sitters, I sh1t them!

Show some respect to The Universal Guru and Pantechnicon Fountain of All Knowledge, cheeky.

Look after it then ,clean on regular occasions,
diff climates diff cleaning techniques,
M16 bollocks & every other piece of :-X
By the way we had no probs in the Gulf. Educate the user & IT WILL FUNCTION CORRECTLY.
I Carried a version of the M16 for over 24 of my 27+ years (I was 3 years a M60 machinegunner so then my Individual weapon was a M1911A1 and the 60) and as you say, Clean the rifle, the mags, wipe the ammo down, Lube the rifle and it works. In those 24 years with a M16/M4 series I can count stoppages due to the rifle on less than one hand using blank or ball.

Chalky663 is on the nail! If you look after kit as you are trained, it will work for you. This means cleaning the weapon as regularly as you can when in dry dusty conditions. Strangely enough if you don't look after the M16 or the HK M36 they too will jam and will not work. In case you have forgotten its called basic field craft and you were beasted for it in training for a reason!

As to buying a new weapon like the M16 or the HKM36 - why would you want a less accurate and less reliable weapon on operations where accuracy at long range and reliability in harsh conditions are the key elements?

Use a bit of grey matter and stop firing from the hip! Strangely enough the M16 went through all these problems when it first came in to service. The battle environment is tough; no equipment has a 100% reliability, but by using BFA (Basic F*****g Admin) you can improve the performance of any peice of kit.
M16's issues were-
Lack of chromed bore and chamber DUE to Robert S. McNamara refusing to believe Ordnance

Powder used for the M193 Cartridge

Once sorted out they were fine if properly maintained like every other rifle

£92m refit and the Toy & Hobby gun still doesn't work. Come on "Buff" Hoon, get a fekkin grip and sort the problem out and just buy the bloody M16 or the H&K M36.

The only other people who bought that piece of kak we call a rifle are the Jamacan reserves and the producers of Soldier Soldier!
I think the MAS M36 might be a step backwards.

ugly

LE
A very good rifle, the peak of bolt action battle rifle design
I disagree personally, but then I like removable magazines capable of holding more than five rounds and a safety catch :)

ugly

LE
I disagree personally, but then I like removable magazines capable of holding more than five rounds and a safety catch :)
Amazingly strong action, smashing round, shit chargers, heavy enough to bash smelly students with, French doctrine worked well, no need to load one in the chamber until ordered to and additional safety by a trigger pull measured in days not weight!
What's not to like, oh yes the chargers were pants but if used properly capable of great accuracy when compared to the other offerings at the time.

Amazingly strong action, smashing round, shit chargers, heavy enough to bash smelly students with, French doctrine worked well, no need to load one in the chamber until ordered to and additional safety by a trigger pull measured in days not weight!
What's not to like, oh yes the chargers were pants but if used properly capable of great accuracy when compared to the other offerings at the time.
I know, but I happen to like more than five rounds plus a safety catch. Each to their own

303 SMLE?

ugly

LE
I know, but I happen to like more than five rounds plus a safety catch. Each to their own
The model 1936 wasn't meant to be the new service rifle, it was an interim design for a support troops rifle that had to be used for front line service as the auto loading rifle (MAS 1944) was delayed and the fiendish bosche attacked Poland a bit earlier than we hoped. As it happens it didn't get a full roll out either I suspect budget reasons cover that

Greatest gun EVAH!

Where would they buy it from being as the factories that made them are gone?
PicsArt_04-20-11.19.28.jpg

The model 1936 wasn't meant to be the new service rifle, it was an interim design for a support troops rifle that had to be used for front line service as the auto loading rifle (MAS 1944) was delayed and the fiendish bosche attacked Poland a bit earlier than we hoped. As it happens it didn't get a full roll out either I suspect budget reasons cover that
I fired the 49/56 a couple of years ago in France and I liked it.

Latest Threads