Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sir Sean Connery dies

He did play alongside Caine in The Man Who Would Be King though, if there's perhaps some memory lapse.
FB_IMG_1596087929912~2.jpg

Niamac

GCM
The Director's driver in Edinburgh was in a previous life the milkman whose apprentice Connery was at 13. Whenever Connery visited Edinburgh after he was famous, he tried to make time to go out for a drink with him.

exsniffer

Old-Salt
There's a line in the original book where Pussy tells James, "You know the definition of a Lesbian in Alabama? Any girl who can out-run her male relatives". :)
I thought that was a definition of a Falklands Island virgin

Just finished watching Goldfinger. This might be the 10 year old Glenmorangie talking, but I'd forgotten just how much fun this movie was.

Trivia: the title character was played by Gert Forbe, who's films were banned in Israel because he'd served with the Wehrmacht during World War II...until it was revealed that he'd saved a Jewish family by hiding them from the Nazis.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sir Tom went to the same school as me, albeit 20 years before me. He bought a house for his Mum just up the road from me (well my Mum n Dad). Never met him!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just finished watching Goldfinger. This might be the 10 year old Glenmorangie talking, but I'd forgotten just how much fun this movie was.

Trivia: the title character was played by Gert Forbe, who's films were banned in Israel because he'd served with the Wehrmacht during World War II...until it was revealed that he'd saved a Jewish family by hiding them from the Nazis.

Frobe.

1604175074225.png

...who also had a bit part in The Longest Day

1604174909315.png

Rest in Peace Mr Connery - no lawyers where you're bound.

The Director's driver in Edinburgh was in a previous life the milkman whose apprentice Connery was at 13. Whenever Connery visited Edinburgh after he was famous, he tried to make time to go out for a drink with him.
Which Director?

He was pretty good as a no-nonsense Lieutenant Colonel of Military Police (US Branch) in "The Presidio" although his Scots burr came through. He worked with a young Mark Harmon (NCIS) Harmon's character in the movie formerly worked for him (Connery) when he was in the Army, but now he is a civvy detective in San Francisco. He's also boning Connery's daughter, which doesn't help their working relationship. Between the two of them, they are trying to solve a murder and a diamond smuggling ring.

Sean Connery.JPG

Looks like one of the KGV battlewagons. That must be around 1946 or so.
Apparently he served between 1946 - 1949, and his only draft was carrier Formidable.
Here's a c&p of Formidable's movements in that time frame . . . . .

She arrived at Portsmouth on 5 February 1946. The dockyard there fitted her with more permanent accommodations in the hangar for more trooping duties and she loaded 480 personnel before departing for Sydney on 2 March. Formidable arrived there a month later and loaded 1,336 naval personnel as well as some Wrens and VAD nurses. She sailed on 12 April, stopping in Colombo to refuel and drop off 576 naval personnel, before arriving in Devonport on 9 May. She made her next voyage to Bombay and Colombo between 15 June and 25 July. The ship loaded 114 officers, 958 ratings and 11 VAD nurses in Singapore in August and another 319 ratings in Trincomalee before stopping in Malta to load 41 men of the Merchant Navy. Formidable made her last trooping voyage between Portsmouth and Singapore, delivering 1,000 Royal Marine Commandos to the latter, between 3 December and 3 February 1947.[71]

Decommissioning and disposal[edit]

In early March 1947, Formidable steamed north to Rosyth for a brief refit before being reduced to reserve. She was paid off on 12 August and a later survey revealed that her wartime damage and poor material shape meant the ship was beyond economical repair at a time when money was very tight. She was towed to Spithead in mid-1949 and then to Portsmouth Royal Dockyard in November 1952.

Latest Threads