Sir Roger Penrose

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Dec 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I thought I'd make a few threads dedicated to great men who have shaped our world, Feynman, Dirac, Gauss, Bohr, their names might not be as well known as Beckham, Ronaldo and Simon Cowell but their work is infinitely more important imho.

This particular thread will be to discuss the work of Stephen Hawking's best mate - Sir Roger Penrose. I'll post a few of his vids from around the net. Interestingly he doesn't quite agree with String Theory, I think I prefer his explanation for the start of the universe too.

Roger Penrose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]

Roger Penrose: Fashion, Faith, and Fantasy

DC

2. Good idea.

Newton, Galileo, Curie, Maxwell, Planck, Einstein, Rutherford, Darwin ...

:? Who? What fields do they work in?

3. Beckham has done some work on String Theory but that mostly involves his wife's underwear.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I hope that one day soon he will speculate on the singularity as being a point in space/time that is connected to other dimensions. A hole or gateway of some kind...

5. I'll post a few more of his vids on here in time. Watched a few of the above but I'm afraid it's rather technical, I'll probably have to play them again.

He does mention White Holes, which are Black Holes in reverse or something.

6. Thomas Crapper.

7. BBC - Desert Island Discs - Castaway : Sir Roger Penrose

DIDA: Sir Roger Penrose | Desert Island Discs Archive: 2000-2005 | Audio podcast episode | Podcast-directory.co.uk - your podcast directory with English video and audio podcasts