Sir Mike speaks out

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Private_Pike, Nov 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In what way does that contribute to the theme of the article and/or why was it necessary to mention it at all?

If the Sun had done that we would be screaming about them all day long - this was the BBC 8O
  2. Sir Mike isn't speaking out,
    He's attempting to defend the indefensible, looks to me like he's a little rattled by the fact that he is one of the Senior Officers the troops consider to be under political influence. If he'd spoken out about the outrageous decision to prosecute the Para Regt boys or other troops who have clearly complied with the rules of engagement but still face prosecution then he might have some credibility. As it is, looks a little like he has sold out and is toing the party line (Pun intended) A Knighthood comes with a price I guess, in Sir Mikes case... his soul.
  3. To quote him previously:

"Let me finish. The Army sets high standards and demands that they are met.

"Those who fail to meet these standards are and will be called to account.

"I believe that this courts-martial illustrates plainly our approach of transparency and accountability: it was held in open court, in the full glare of public scrutiny, and to the same standards of justice and independence that are present in the civilian judicial system.

"I hope what I have said today reinforces our commitment to openness and our desire to maintain the highest standards of conduct in the Army."

So Sir Mike, When the APA squanders £10 million of taxpayers hard earned cash on evidence that would never have reached a civilian court, the officers responsible will be held to account?
  4. H, I wasn't attempting to vindicate Sir Mike.In fact quite the opposite. I still remain hopeful that he is just "playing the game" with the politico's. How long would he last if he were to openly condemn the government and speak out against the Bliarites who are doing their best to ruin this man's army?
  5. Pikey,
    How many of us have been shafted by standing up for the troops when some ******** has been giving them a hard time? A fair few ruined careers on here no doubt but at least we can look ourselves in the shaving mirror in the morning. It's amazing how many senior officers only develop a conscience once they have their Knighthood and retire. The reason there are so many high level denials about political prosecutions is because we are hitting near the mark. The cap fits, but they don't want to admit they are wearing it. It's not the press who are making this an issue, it is the troops on the ground.
  6. Salary/postion/next position/honours list/lucrative directors job with multinational company on retirement plus the will of political bosses are all factors that todays modern high ranking commanders must take into account to get the job done.All this members of the forces must take into account and not look upwards for any support from powers that be in the event of pending legal action against them.
    Is not leadership being responsible for all under your command and giving support regardless of actions/guilt?
  7. To emphasise my point:

"It is a calumny to imply that people are dancing to a political tune," Gen Jackson said yesterday. But he added that he sympathised with the predicament in which officers and soldiers who were charged found themselves.

The general was speaking as defence officials unveiled an armed forces bill, to be tabled this month. Under the bill, army commanders will no longer have the power to block the court martial of any soldiers accused of serious offences.

The bill should speed up the military justice system. It will set up one standing court martial - a permanent military court - for all three services. But the attorney general will continue to supervise the army prosecuting authority. It is a power critics of prosecutions against British soldiers do not like since the attorney is a member of the government.

If as Sir Mike says, the system is fair, why is it being changed and why is it being overseen by a member of the government?

The prosecution rests its case!
  8. Did you see the Adjutant General's arrse licking 'I must be next for a Knighthood' letter in the Telegraph the other day? Written along the lines of : 'I've been hanging out of his backside for 20 years, he writes my confidential and he can do no wrong.' Then the following day, a wonderful questioning rebuttal of the Adjt Gen's epistle. Chod.
  9. To put things in perspective, if the latest set of Furher Blair's public sector reforms go through he will have created 800,000 public sector jobs since coming to power.

That's almost eight times the size of the army and not one of those jobs has a starting salary as low as a private soldier's.
  10. Most of these jobs are given to members or supporters of his party no doubt, fill key posts with these people, bring in legislation against free speech, then you have a very subtle and insidious form of control. The Ministry of Truth lives!
  11. There is another article on this in the Guardian which has just been posted by MOD oracle. It also mentions Col and Mrs Mendonca.
  12. What are the chances of Parttimepongo asking for the whole print run of the Grauniad to be withdrawn for sale and pulped to comply with his present history supression mania?
  13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I wonder if Sir Mike has read this letter in today's Telegraph?

Curious, ain't it, that whilst CGS is busting a gut to tell us all how fair the system is, he's forgotten that bit in QRs about how charges should be dealt with quickly. Ah well, he's in good company; the Attorney General, Lord Cronysmith, wrote to the Times the other day to rebut suggestions that he has any influence over APA - I mean, how could anyone suggest that an unelected member of the government could have any influence over a department he's in charge of?
  14. Not sure if anyone else caught the series of exchanges between the honourable member for Blaby and the assembled attack dogs of Neu Arbeit yesterday?

For those that missed it, Hansard is here

and here

Deputy speaker intervenes on occasion to invite Ministers of the Crown to be a bit less necky :D

Well in Sir :D