SIR MICHAEL CAINE SALUTES BRITISH FORCES

BFBS

Old-Salt
As you may know, Zulu came top in the 'Forces Favourite War Films' poll by BFBS TV, and so we contacted Michael Caine's agent to let them know.

Sir Michael came back with this:

"My thanks to the British Forces. My thoughts and best wishes are always
with them because I used to be, and always will be, one of them."

BFBS2 will be showing the Top 3 films this weekend, culminating in Zulu at 2100CET on Sunday 10th Feb.

(Sir Michael Caine did National Service from 1951-1953 and served in Germany and Korea.)

BFBS

BFBS

Old-Salt
jack-daniels said:
Have you got the full results list for the poll?
Indeed I do:

1. Zulu (1964)
2. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
3. A Bridge Too Far (1977)
4. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
5. The Great Escape (1963)
6. Platoon (1986)
7. The Cruel Sea (1953)
8. The Longest day (1962)
9. Enemy At The Gates (2001)
10. Ice Cold In Alex (1958)
11. We Were Soldiers (2002)
12. Black Hawk Down (2001)
13. Apocalypse Now (1979)
14. Das Boot (1981)
15. Kelly’s Heroes (1970)
16. Schindler’s List (1993)
17. Cross of Iron (1977)
18. The Dam Busters (1954)
19. Where Eagles Dare (1968)
20. Battle of Britain (1969)

Full thread here http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=86889.html

BFBS

Saving Private Ryan is crap. Other than the initial battle scenes, the remainder is typical Spielberg schmalz. ET with Shermans.

BFBS said:
Dilfor said:
Saving Private Ryan is crap. Other than the initial battle scenes, the remainder is typical Spielberg schmalz. ET with Shermans.
That's democracy for you!

BFBS
To quote Gene Hackman in a submarine film I can't remember the name of:

"We're here to preserve democracy, not practise it".

Dilfor said:
I saw the philosophical remake Shaving Ryans Privates, apparantly there are a few versions

CrapSpy said:
BFBS said:
Dilfor said:

BFBS

Crimson Tide?

BFBS

BFBS said:
CrapSpy said:
BFBS said:
Dilfor said:

BFBS

Crimson Tide?

BFBS
That's the one.

BFBS said:
jack-daniels said:
Indeed I do:

1. Zulu (1964)
6. Platoon (1986)
7. The Cruel Sea (1953)
14. Das Boot (1981)
17. Cross of Iron (1977)

BFBS
I can't believe Lawrence of Arabia and The Wild Geese didn't make the top 20 :?

Funny ain't it, how the National Service Men are always proud of their service. At the time they all professed to hate it, but I have spoken to many of them since and they are all glad that they did it
I was in during their time and we regulars were always known as "thick regulars" and not always completely in jest. In my view, not enough has been written about the services during this period as it was a complete citizen army, with everyone represented from all walks of life.
By the way, does anyone know which mob Sir Michael Caine was in?
Always enjoy his movies.
Apologise if this is the wrong place to be asking this.

He was in the Fusiliers. There is a good book out about the National Service era called 'The Call Up', very amusing, got copies for all my uncles who did National Service and they loved it.

TheBigUn said:
BFBS said:
jack-daniels said:
Indeed I do:

1. Zulu (1964)
6. Platoon (1986)
7. The Cruel Sea (1953)
14. Das Boot (1981)
17. Cross of Iron (1977)

BFBS
I can't believe Lawrence of Arabia and The Wild Geese didn't make the top 20 :?
The Wild Geese came in at 25, and Lawrence of Arabia at 32

BFBS

basso said:

Funny ain't it, how the National Service Men are always proud of their service. At the time they all professed to hate it, but I have spoken to many of them since and they are all glad that they did it
I was in during their time and we regulars were always known as "thick regulars" and not always completely in jest. In my view, not enough has been written about the services during this period as it was a complete citizen army, with everyone represented from all walks of life.
By the way, does anyone know which mob Sir Michael Caine was in?
Always enjoy his movies.
Apologise if this is the wrong place to be asking this.
Here's a (fairly lengthy!) extract from his biography which rleates to his time in the Army:

At 18 it was time for National Service and Maurice joined the Queen's Royal Regiment at their barracks near Guildford. One room, 28 guys, 8 weeks of intensive training, including heartbreaking assault courses and tuition in the use and cleaning of 303 Enfield rifles and sten guns. Then they were posted to Iserlohn, a small town just south-east of Dortmund. Here the soldiers were paid 4 shillings a day, a pittance for their efforts, especially young Maurice's. Having got himself on the wrong side of the platoon sergeant he found himself with all the hard tasks - peeling spuds, washing pans, guard duty while the others were allowed into town, he even had to scrape the guard room floor clean with an old razor blade. It was grim stuff, but still a laugh as Maurice became close friends with many of his fellow south London recruits.
After almost 12 months, Maurice and his mates were offered a choice - an extra year of this or a stint of active service in Korea, the Brits having joined the Americans there in 1950. The sheer boredom of life at Iserlohn made their minds up, they were sent to London and the Royal Fusiliers and soon found themselves in Liverpool, boarding the Empire Halladale, a ship that had been sunk and salvaged twice in WW2 and was thus especially vile. Fortunately, the soldiers did not have to spend much time below deck, being ordered to sunbathe all the way to Korea in preparation for the conditions. Being so pale, poor Maurice managed only to turn an eye-catching shade of red.
After a 6 week trip featuring a fight with French Foreign Legionnaires in Colombo and a brush with the edge of a typhoon near Hong Kong that saw 680 out of 700 vomiting uncontrollably (Maurice was fine until he had to shovel up everyone else's sick), they landed at Kure on the southern tip of mainland Japan for 2 weeks' training before moving on to Pusan, South Korea. This was a hellish place of rats and mosquitos, with the human dung used as manure on the fields quickly turning to dust in the heat and blowing all over everyone. Maurice and his mates were very soon sent up to the front line, the 38th Parallel dividing north and south Korea where they found themselves stationed on a trench-fortified hill about a mile from the Chinese lines. The Chinese had joined their North Korean brothers in their assault on the south, so this unruly pack of south London kids were now the West's first line of defence against the encroaching Communist empire.
On his first night of guard duty, Maurice witnessed a Chinese attack on positions to his left. It was immediately apparent that they were not afraid to die and were thus unlikely to be defeated. He settled down to life in a 2-man bunker where rats ran over him in the night. The troops' R&R was taken in Seoul, then a shanty town of bamboo bars and whore houses, with a 100% rate of gonorrhoea and constant rucks between the different international forces. As the best-educated member of his platoon, "Mick" (as he was known) was treated as a sage, reading and writing letters for his comrades and, because of his refusal to visit prostitutes, becoming an accepted expert on venereal disease, patiently inspecting his friends' genitalia and delivering a diagnosis that, with a 100% rate of gonorrhoea, really required little expertise.
Maurice's second tour of duty coincided with a major Chinese offensive. At one point he and his buddy were firing a machine-gun into a solid wall of men. There must have been fatalities. Then, patrolling No Man's Land at night, his patrol were cut off from their own lines by Chinese soldiers and spent horrible, endless hours in the darkness waiting for the sound of their deadly enemies and the tell-tale scent of the garlic that all the opposing army habitually chewed (for years afterwards, even in Hollywood, the smell of garlic would give Michael Caine the fear).
After one boiling summer and one freezing winter of death, disgust and raging fear, he was demobbed and returned to the family prefab at the Elephant.

You can read more at
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/entertainment/film/biographies/michael_caine_biog/4

BFBS said:
Dilfor said:

BFBS
Democracy is crap, apart from the initial seizure of the radio stations, treasury and the free and fair elections, the remainder is schmaltzy political nonsense...

Cuddles said:
BFBS said:
Dilfor said:

BFBS
Democracy is crap, apart from the initial seizure of the radio stations, treasury and the free and fair elections, the remainder is schmaltzy political nonsense...
Shall we have a vote on it?

BFBS