Sir Jock Stirrup on The Andrew Marr Show

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by wheel, Nov 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just watched Sir Jock being interviewed. He was in my opinion like a politician puppett belonging to Brown as his answers were so politically correct. Any other opinions out there on this.

2. To be fair, he does have to walk a bit of a tight rope.

Trying to convince the anti-military scum in power to actually spend the money as needed, knowing that most of them have no time for anything to do with the forces.

Whole at the same time not being seen to be disloyal to the appointed PM of the day. If he tells too much of the truth too bluntly, he will be out and then not be in any position to try to alliviate the effects of the ZaNULabour Party on the troops.

3. Agree with your views Tigermonkey on the tight rope situation but he did not once vere off the Labour party line of "balancing needs".

4. What can you expect when he has been asked to stay on to prevent Richard Dannatt taking over as CDS. He is a political placeman, and while he is there the needs of our troops will never be properly addressed.

5. Reckon that clinches it:

Lord Stirrup of Pardon-my-Nose, in the County of Suckupshire.

6. well - given he said something along these lines too:

Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, the Chief of the Defence Staff, warned that the British military was already over-stretched, and suggested that troops from other Nato countries should be sent to fight.

Seems that he is not pandering totally to the politicians. Don't you lot think that some business isn't conducted in the media?

7. He did however mention Operation Overstretch, which is quite a statement for a CDS. Who knows, perhaps we might still get General Sir Richard yet as the new CDS.

8. Oi! Who are you calling 'you lot'?

9. Wheel, Yes I have an thought that he gave the stock, political, less than honest, answer that did not answer the question. Andrew Marr did not pursue tha matter and let him off the hook. It is not just that vehicle of that type is needed or that a range of vehicles are needed it is the fact that due to lack of alternatives the choice is non-existent, its a snatch or nothing. The fact that they can avoid the question is a travesty.

Salvador