Sir Humprhey to become 2Lt Humphrey

Oh, marvellous.

Is it me, or does the whole Reservist recruiting thing absolutely reek of desperation now?

Like a lot of my Army brethren, I secretly admire the Army Reserve. Anyone who can smash out a full week at work then don green at weekends deserves a healthy measure of respect/mental health check, but to me, all these "Uniform To Work Days" and the endless drip feed of news about Reservists, is having the opposite effect on me. It seems to be less "look at how good the Reserves are" and more and more about "Look how much the Reserves are needed to prop up the Army".

None of which is completely true, but that seems to be the perception. No one is winning from this. I've seen some truly excellent ideas on these boards about what to do about it, but no one at the top seems to listen.

Plus ca change :grin:

Chef

LE
As an ex-TA type when I started if one wanted to serve with ones regular counterparts the standard required to even be considered was very high indeed, that was the late 70s.

Fast forward ten years and the boast was that wherever the regs served you would find TA serving alongside. At a Courage Trophy weekend my comment that all this told me was that there were not enough real soldiers was met with some chat about how The TA was as good as the regs. I doubted that as regs do it for a living and with the best will in the world TA or reservists are almost always going to be slightly less than their reg comrades.

What it does do is allow the politicos to strut their stuff on the cheap. I would once have been proud for my son to serve in the reserves and I would again when every politico's (and ex-politico from the last fifteen years) is there first and taking the lead up front.

Col Richard Kemp, a former commander of British forces in Afghanistan, said more civil servants should join the reserves, but Mr Hammond’s push “smacks of desperation”. He said the Government was using “every possible means of salvaging what’s obviously a fundamentally flawed recruitment plan”.

Flawed recruitment plan? Surely not...

Stan Jnr has been in the process with Capita for over a year now and still has not been attested. To be fair the unit has been excellent and very supportive.

mso

LE
Any chance you could drop Bde Comds that thought in an email?

Throw money at it, bump the wages to the Reserves, make it very appealing? Money always wins. If they are lucky they will get away with it till the next government come in and inherit a crapstorm. Always seems to have been a policy in the past.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Flawed recruitment plan? Surely not...

Stan Jnr has been in the process with Capita for over a year now and still has not been attested. To be fair the unit has been excellent and very supportive.

HTF does it take more than a year to get a recruit to attestation?

ACAB

LE
How long before B Commission Officers and probably the feckin ACF itself become part of the non existent 'Reserve'?

D

Djelli Beybii

I have served in Reg and TA. The reserves are not trained to the same standard as regular soldiers, they do not have the same unit cohesion that a Regular Army unit has.

If you want to Soldier, do it for a living, not on weekends where you get Saturday evening off to go on the piss.

Told you it wouldnt work. (Sorreee).

This 'whole' reserve's debate is almost as annoying & tiresome as the gay pride diversity issue.

At least the softened reduced Tranche 4 is welcoming and maybe 'certain' people are finally realising, although still too early to make a tangible conclusion that focusing more on AR than on the regulars (in reality but refuse to admit) is one step too far.

Service personnel are fully aware how the shiote rolls down hill full-time so why the hell would they return in a part-time role just to satisfy the bean counters, undestandbly desperation maybe a factor however even financial incentives has it's limits.

D

Djelli Beybii

I see it like this, Army, due to cutbacks makes you redundant, forcing you and your family into a very uncertain future.
Then , they ask you to join the AR as a trained soldier, giving financial incentives as Beemer has said.
This whole AR thing is going to bite those powers that be , right in the arse!!
Ex Regs will be watching developments across the globe, and just as they are about to mobilize AR to go and put out the fire, watch and giggle at the amount of blokes who jack it in ,and hand their kit back into the AR stores.

I see it like this, Army, due to cutbacks makes you redundant, forcing you and your family into a very uncertain future.
Then , they ask you to join the AR as a trained soldier, giving financial incentives as Beemer has said.
This whole AR thing is going to bite those powers that be , right in the arse!!
Ex Regs will be watching developments across the globe, and just as they are about to mobilize AR to go and put out the fire, watch and giggle at the amount of blokes who jack it in ,and hand their kit back into the AR stores.

Don't they sign a contract? And if they do won't the government want it's financial incentives back

Latest Threads