Sinn Féin to form next Irish government?

define IRA ?
that really ceased to exist in 1969

SF was/is the political wing of the PIRA

32 County Sovereignty Movement & Saoradh are political wings of RIRA

Republican SF is the political wing of the CIRA

Of course no one has asked (or said) that the PIRA was ever disestablished
All of the above mentioned are only allowed to exist because they are either tolerated or directly answerable to the army council.

All of the above mentioned are only allowed to exist because they are either tolerated or directly answerable to the army council.
If PIRA ever had any form of control over the Dissident groupings they had completely lost it by 2000. Since then they have had no way of controlling them because the DRs have made it clear they would be fine with an old school shooting feud and PIRA can't get into that without screwing PSF.

If PIRA ever had any form of control over the Dissident groupings they had completely lost it by 2000. Since then they have had no way of controlling them because the DRs have made it clear they would be fine with an old school shooting feud and PIRA can't get into that without screwing PSF.
Weren't there some defections of some QM types and other old guard who had enough skill sets to carry on their business model of money and death ?
ETA Wouldn't the key individuals who crossed over, be open to lines of communication and continuation of politics and terrorism as per the old model ? not just as blatantly obvious as before ?

Weren't there some defections of some QM types and other old guard who had enough skill sets to carry on their business model of money and death ?
ETA Wouldn't the key individuals who crossed over, be open to lines of communication and continuation of politics and terrorism as per the old model ? not just as blatantly obvious as before ?
Pretty much everyone in a leadership role in the DR groups is a former PIRA member.

How well they get on varies widely between different places. We had DRs and PIRA people cooperating in criminal activity in our patch while at the same time 50 miles away they were dishing out punishment beatings and death threats to each other.

Pretty much everyone in a leadership role in the DR groups is a former PIRA member.

How well they get on varies widely between different places. We had DRs and PIRA people cooperating in criminal activity in our patch while at the same time 50 miles away they were dishing out punishment beatings and death threats to each other.
Was it a case of wanting a bigger share of the proceeds or was it more along ideological lines ?

Was it a case of wanting a bigger share of the proceeds or was it more along ideological lines ?
Primarily ideological as far as I know. The DRs main recruiting strategy at that time (and still happening now) was to loudly and repeatedly call PSF/PIRA sell outs and Brit collaborators.

Primarily ideological as far as I know. The DRs main recruiting strategy at that time (and still happening now) was to loudly and repeatedly call PSF/PIRA sell outs and Brit collaborators.
Well that's me learnt good. I always thought the DRs were allowed to carry on the good fight because the army council gave them the nod while pushing the political game primarily. Cheers for the clarification.

But it this way from an ideological point of view:

as far as dissents are concerned the PIRA and SF sold out the Republican movement when they agreed to the Good Friday Agreement.

But it this way from an ideological point of view:

as far as dissents are concerned the PIRA and SF sold out the Republican movement when they agreed to the Good Friday Agreement.
As Legz said two posts up

"The DRs main recruiting strategy at that time (and still happening now) was to loudly and repeatedly call PSF/PIRA sell outs and Brit collaborators "

PIRAS not at war.
They still exist with a command structure at army council level.

The army council would then have access to intelligence documents going back decades.

They endorse the crown forces..except when we have a national crisis around a virus crippling the health and the economy of all communities in NI and they don't want the British Army in NI to assist the public.

@Britishfan I don't do private mails..I can debate in public.

If you believe the PIRA Army Council are purely peaceful. Why did PIRA, try to shoot someone in the Short Strand a few weeks ago?

@Britishfan I'm not conversing via PM.

I'm going to hazard a massive guess here, that you are an Irish Republican and you're here to protect the Republican projects PR campaign.

Or otherwise known as a Shinnerbot.

Latest Threads