Sinn Féin to form next Irish government?

MrMemory

War Hero
Looks like Sinn Féin will try to form a government in Ireland after apparently winning more votes than any other party in Saturday’s general election after riding a wave of popular anger over homelessness, soaring rents and hospital waiting lists, as well as disillusionment with the traditional political duopoly.

The party leader, Mary Lou MacDonald told supporters on Sunday that a “revolution” had occurred and she would try to form a ruling coalition with other parties.

Once a pariah for its IRA links, the party won almost a quarter of first-preference votes, possibly pipping Fine Gael and Fianna Fail two centrist rivals that have taken turns ruling Ireland for a century.

As Sinn Féin's main political goal is a united Ireland a victory is likely to resurrect calls for a referendum on the future of the North.

They only put up 42 candidates, and with 160 seats in the Dàil, would need to both win all of them to be the largest single party, and would have to try and form alliances with parties who have categorically stated they would not go into a coalition with them.

Will they change tack and side with us against the eu?

Will they change tack and side with us against the eu?
Why not, members of Sinn Fein have been siding with the British Government for the last 40 years.

Ain’t that right Gerry?

Ultimate seats as projected by UCD: Fianna Fáil 45 Sinn Féin 37 Fine Gael 36 Greens 10 Labour 6 S/PBP 5 SD 5 Ind/other 16 A majority is 80. There's no left-wing majority there for Sinn Féin to form. It looks like Sinn Féin + Fianna Fáil (bookies' fave) or another election.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Looks like the Irish election results have reflected the bottom tier of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs....

SFIRA can beat their increasingly woke war drum all they want. At the most basic level politicians are elected to ensure people have somewhere to live and healthcare. Screw both these up and you are toast. Mary Lou will be nominated for Taoiseach on a progressive programme for government that promises loads of houses, healthcare, and decarbonisation. Sinn Fein's environmental policies are actually pretty good. Oddly enough they have a great stance on environmental issues but don't shout about it too loudly as it might not be universally popular with their base. They won’t put the cart before the course. It’ll be a while before Billy on the Shankill has to sweat.

Last edited:
Even if you had a Sinn Fein government how would they solve the issue of homlesness and hospital waiting lists that the main parties haven't. Ireland is just starting to get back in its feet after the 2008 crash. I give the paddies there due. They took their medicine and got back on their feet and pay their taxes (well some of them) unlike the tax avoiding whinging Greeks.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Even if you had a Sinn Fein government how would they solve the issue of homlesness and hospital waiting lists that the main parties haven't. Ireland is just starting to get back in its feet after the 2008 crash. I give the paddies there due. They took their medicine and got back on their feet and pay their taxes (well some of them) unlike the tax avoiding whinging Greeks.
I suppose it’s a question of context. SF base clearly thinks their party is meaningfully situated on the Left despite their NI track record of privatising health care, implementing austerity and pushing for lower corporation tax. Not to mention last month, when their latest neoliberal policy recipe (cooked up with the bible bashing DUP) centred in on FDI-led growth, planning shortcuts for developers and continuing austerity. Point being: they hardly need to keep quiet about their environmental policy because the base is hardly paying much attention to what they actually say/do anyway (especially in NI which, as a self-professed all-Ireland party, it is fair to judge them on).

I hope they do get in.. I'd love to see their economic policies drawn up on the back of a feg packet put into fruition.

It's not Stormont they'd be running this time, you can't just walk away, when it's not all going to plan.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
9DBB83D9-CC47-4F2B-8151-DE0EAFDD442D.jpeg

I see the NI Newsletter are taking the news well..

Meanwhile the BBC headlines this morning, 1 Brad Pitt wins an Oscar, 2 Caronavirus, 3 Shock election result in Ireland. Third item on the national broadcaster was the success of a party could break the Union. Awks.

If Sinn Fein was to land a major coup and no government was formed, new election called in a few weeks and Sinn Fein wins massive amounts of TD's.. how could the leadership of the Provisional IRA be in a position to have access to national security intelligence in the ROI?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
SF has promised not to raise any more taxes, they will just raid a few banks for the cash! :)

They are leftists, they will just borrow money to try to pay for a welfare state that functions, temporarily, until they go insolvent by mismanaging the economy.

SF has promised not to raise any more taxes, they will just raid a few banks for the cash! :)
The banks will end up changing the money back the Punt, they'll be stealing that much Euro.

Latest Threads