Sinister

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Oct 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I'm sure this has been done before, probably done to death. I know I have ranted, but now I am genuinlely concerned.
    The new regulations which allow some 795 different agencies and quangos to access our telephone bills, calls, e-mails and texts.
    I can just about accept that there may be a need for the Security Service to have this access, but why police, fire service, NHS Trusts, Charity Comission and all the others, including local councils? I know many members of our local county council, and a bigger bunch of parish pump gossips I have yet to meet.
    Further to this is the proliferation of cctv cameras, the Home Information Packs, and the associated inspectors who now have unfettered entry to look through our houses. The 'Recycling' agencies who can examine our rubbish, the use of satellites ot tobserve us, DNA databeses and the general obsession of the government with labelling, tabling and maintaining data bases with all our details.
    The phrase 'responsible use of power' is used, but if you have ever dealt with someone with some authority (and bearing in mind which site this is, w all have), then you will be aware that the more responsibility/power they have, the more authoritarian they become.
    The government is trying to control every aspect of our life, and information is power.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't meant that they are not out to get me!

2. I'm not going to post an answer just in case someone is reading and recording.

You know you are in trouble when your Personal security fear is directed at Guvmnt not terrorists and criminals.

3. Following the above rant OFaH will no longer be with us, the authorities have carted him away for 're-education'. Anyone who mentions this now ex user will shortly follow to the re-education camps.

Big brother/sister/hermaphrodite is watching YOU!

4. Government's should fear their people.

5. old_fat_and_hairy

But this one just has contempt for them.

6. Read below...

7. old_fat_and_hairy

Of course he was. The problem we have is that the current 'rulers' read 1984 as an instructional manual, not a novel!

8. Woah! Very very sinister indeed. I read the post by OFaH and my internet connection goes down.

Ok It is back up now (obviously) but that was strange.

Ok so what was the reasoning given for listening in/recording telephone calls originally?

I would assume it was something to do with security/safety/terrorists and that only those that really really needed the information would have access to it.

Sounds a bit like the DNA database, CCTV films, ID card information etc etc.

The UK is a very sinister and scary place to live at the moment.

9. old_fat_and_hairy

Absolutely! We are the most surveilled (?) country in the world. Why should 795 different bodies have access to all my peronal details? And before anyone chirps in with the mantra "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear", we all have something to hide. And that slogan is almost as catch as Arbeit Mach Frei!

10. I should imagine one or two people at Cheltenam being particularily interested in some of the more romantically unorthodox websites you frequent Old Fat n Hairy!

:D

11. One that Old fat and hairy has missed is the amount of information people give away on those supermarket loyalty cards,IIRC there was a programme on the old TV about them,Never use the fecking things

12. It's the old cost:benefit question; if Tesco's give me stuff I want to buy, that's a good thing. If the Home Office wants to know where and when I'm doing my shopping, it's got bu66er-all to do with them, and they can go swing.

Edited for mongspell

13. old_fat_and_hairy

The Home Office Or, since it has now been split into The Justice ministry(?) and another, probably Interior Ministry, I can just about understand having a very vague need to know about me, but The County Council? The Ntaional Trust? The local Prinary Care Trust? Why do they need access to my bank details, health records (ok, PCT, Maybe) telephone reciords or e mails? Not to meantion all the other agencies.
    Freedom of speech has been eroded, freedom of thought has been eroded, now we are to be laid bare in all our dealings. And will this prevent terrorism on a grand scale? Doubt it. Serious terrorists and criminals are not daft enough to commit anything much in their own names to records.

14. It's not about terrorism, it's all about control, it's about identifying any effective political opposition and making sure you have dirt on them.

Their surveillance will avail them little when the revolution comes except they will know the identity of their executioners!

:D

15. Welcome to Oceania, Its a bright cold day in April, and the clocks have just struck 13.