Singnificance of the UK on the World stage

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Sep 25, 2011.

?
  1. Equal to American - 100%

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. No less than 50%

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. about 20%

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. something like 10%

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. less than 5%

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. close to zero

5 vote(s)
    9.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Let's regard significance of the USA as 100%. Then what it is for other countries? For the UK, for example.

100%, 50%, 20% or ?

2. Far less than the US and China. We don't have the money or military power to frighten anyone like them. Less than the OPEC countries because we don't have the oil lever that they have. Probably less than France and Germany because we don't have the leadership and influence in the EU that they have.

Basically, we're distinctly Second Division these days.

3. Our continued permanent membership on the UN Security Council is an historical anachronism - I'm sure that we only hold on to it because of the French. All the arguments about supporting the Americans vis-a-vis our membership are complete bollocks - a veto wielded by them is a veto. It hardly needs reinforcing by our efforts. If we banged out of the Security Council the FCO would go into a tailspin from which it would never recover. On seconds thoughts, that might not be a bad thing...

4. If one accepts that the end of empire, the second world war, the "not east of Suez" policy and the discarding of former colonies and dependencies are all real indicators of the lessening of Britain's significance in the world order, why do we still attempt to strut the global stage like a colussus? Historical baggage, a lack of understanding of our place or purpose in the international political system, an inability to decide if Britain is a European power or an independent nation all combine in reducing Britain's importance and impact upon the world stage. As an aside, if you accept all the previous contentions as reasonable, it does ask what we actually fight for? Apart from being British, that is....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Its my experience that Britain still retains an influence around the world far beyond its current reduced state - Britain is of course a part of the actual formative history of over 100 countries and territories - but that this influence is squandered by the failure of government and business to exploit it. In particular I think past governments have utterly failed to understand the economic value of continuing to show the flag in former bases and outposts.

Despite decades of introspective anglo-phobic Brit-bashing by our own (educational) establishment, I find that the British and British culture are mostly perceived with respect and affection in former territories - albeit this anglo-philic view is often a legendary vision of what we used to be, passed down from older generations who knew us.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wasup Sergei? Feeling a bit deflated that no one takes your 3rd world mafia state seriously?

People listen when Britain talks. Despite the self flagellating wibble on here, Britain is still the only country other than the USA than can deploy hard power strategically, we're still a military top dog and our ability to deploy soft power is still immense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Poll: Significance of KGB Resident's opinion compared with that of a pissed-up tramp shouting at pigeons in the city centre.

Equal to our Tesco's Value Strong Cider-swigging chum - 100%
    No less than 50%
    about 20%
    something like 10%
    less than 5%
    close to zero

Speaking of opinions, do you actually have one or are you just trying to provoke a reaction from some of the bitier members?

8. My experience is that we are well respected in a range of fields not just in terms of foreign policy and military force. While the Commonwealth does not have the power to overtly influence events it does still have significant leverage when required (as in the reaction to Mugabe). Financially we punch well above our weight given our GDP. Similarly academically, per capita we conduct far more significant researh in this country than anywhere else in the world, including the US.

9. I agree with most of that. Even though there's no doubt that Britain's international influence has declined rather sharply since the end of WWII I've always found that she enjoys a better reputation internationally than at home, oddly enough.

10. We aren't looked up to as a Military Power, we lost any credibility East of the suez by following that Chimp to an Oil War, and we aren't a mover and shaker in the manufacturing or service economies (other than hosting it in the city).

Yet we are still listened to. It puzzles the hell out of people and leads to teeth gnashing fury in certain, more cyrrilic circles. I think that might be the reason for the origin of the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Quite.

Let's see if the fishing's any good this morning... :)

12. Still rather higher than our actual capabilities would merit and declining fast. Our reputation for military prowess has been badly dented by Iraq and Afghanistan; our 'moral high-ground' evaporated under the feet of That **** Blair; our reputation for economics stewardship? Mwah-ha-hah; the uniqueness of the City of London? Well, they've shown themselves to be a good bet and right enough...

Come the second half of this century, we'll be about as much relevance to world affairs as any other small nation.

13. I'm not sure you can quantify it.

We're both in the UN security council with the power of veto - so square there.
    We have a AAA financial rating, but the world is so financially****ed does it make that much of a difference?

The US can project a large military force anywhere in the world, but lack the political/diplomatic backup. The reverse is true of the UK.

A few to start with.

14. We are about 5th in the world at pretty much everything so I reckon 20% is about right.

15. Yes, but how many people exert that 20% influence?

A little country of 62 Million people have an impact on the other 6,700 Million out of all proportion to their numbers.

• Like Like x 1