single parents

theparenttrap1 said:
i would like some input or advice.
after 20 years in the service my co and oc are going to apply for my discharge if i cannot go on tour .
the trouble is i am a single parent now with no family back up near.
does anyone have anythoughts or advice ??
cheers
In this day and age I cannot believe that they would consider this! :x

I thought the Army was changing for the better, seems I'm wrong. Christ no wonder we have a problem recruiting/retaining if this is the attitude of a OC & CO. 20 years service and they treat you like shiit.

Have you thought of a discrete e-mail to the Sun? They would jump on it like a randy guinea pig! Apart from that I can't really give much advice, sorry :?

Just a thought, after talking to various people I know.

1. Decouple the X-Factor from the military salary.

2. Make all detachments voluntary.

3. Add the X-Factor to the military salary of deployed personnel on a pro-rata basis. Consider having higher and lower rates based on distance or length of detachment. Make it cost-neutral (no, not the MOD version where cost-neutrality includes savings to HMG) and pay out more to fewer people.

4. Pay an annual bounty to those who register for the volunteer list and give them extra leave.

5. Keep that "tough, you're going anyway" stick in the cupboard for when the volunteer list runs out.

Something needs to be done for those who have families and for whom the signal comes at a very inconvenient time, particularly when a couple are both in the Forces.

Otherwise, people with families will vote with their feet and the average age of a serviceman or woman will be 25! Lets face it, the new EDP pension deal isn't worth sticking out for.

MrPVRd said:
1. Decouple the X-Factor from the military salary.

2. Make all detachments voluntary.

3. Add the X-Factor to the military salary of deployed personnel on a pro-rata basis. Consider having higher and lower rates based on distance or length of detachment.
One or two issues here! The feckin' pay system is already far too complex for most people to understand. Complicating things further I don't think is a step in the right direction. Also the X factor forms part of our pensionable salary - to de-couple from basic pay will result in further pension shrinkage across the board.

Voluntary detachments? I think that the Cyprus 6 monthers might be more popular than Dungannon, or other pooh traps around the world. And most husbands are going to love telling their wives that they have volunteered for 6 months away - at least in the current climate you have no choice.

And I can't really see any logic in having differing rates of allowances based on physical distance, unless you are in a position to return home. Six months is six months whether in Kosovo/NI/Afghanistan/Basra. It is the seperation that is being compensated for, and those who have spent the most time seperated receive the most cash (LSSA - Longer Sperated Service Allowance, plus the bonuses).

The pay system is sh*te, accepted, but this is a good reason for looking at it thoroughly. I didn't express the idea of voluntary detachments adequately - what I meant was volunteering for detachments per se, rather than just for specific dets.

One other possiblility is to allow personnel to temporarily transfer onto full-time reservist terms of service at inconvenient family times, for example if the wife is pregnant or if there are other welfare issues, and pay on a pro-rata basis ie for 5 days worked out of 7, instead of the full 7-day per week military salary.

MrPVRd said:
One other possiblility is to allow personnel to temporarily transfer onto full-time reservist terms of service at inconvenient family times, for example if the wife is pregnant or if there are other welfare issues, and pay on a pro-rata basis ie for 5 days worked out of 7, instead of the full 7-day per week military salary.
Nice idea but then you would fall foul of the regulation that pays pensions to regular soldiers and not to reservists.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ExREME..TECH The NAAFI Bar 14
R Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 4
WRAPJOBAGAIN The NAAFI Bar 13