Single Parent Deployment

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Tyddewi, Jul 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to find written reference to this. Over the years I've heard a lot of hear say, of SOME single parent soldiers not deploying. I've just heard how someone had to put his child into care for 6 months as he had no immediate family to care for the child while he deployed. Costing him over £7000 with no help to pay the bill.

I'd rather hand in my mess tins, than do this to my child. Any information in this matter would be very welcome.
  2. Most units will try to help single parents by the use of rear party so that they do not have to find alternative arrangements for the care of children, however the Army comes first and all soldiers must be able to deploy

AGAIs Vol2 Chapter 48

"It is the personal responsibility of every officer and soldier to arrange his/her domestic affairs so that they neither interfere with his/her ability to carry out his/her full military duties efficiently nor restrict his/her availability for worldwide posting. If married, or a single parent with responsibility for dependent children, he/she must make and maintain robust arrangements for the care of their dependants in order to be able to accept a long period of separation from his/her family, at short notice, at any time."

Also QR para 9.260

"The assignment of soldiers is based on the principle that a soldier must be available for world wide posting at any time, this being one of the conditions of service he accepted on enlistment. If circumstances are such that a soldier cannot comply with this condition he will normally be terminated or transferred to the Reserve no matter how good a soldier he may be in other respects."
  3. Best you dig out your mess tins, seems like they’re going back to the stores ^_~
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Pay to have your kid put into care???

I know plenty of single parents who employ an aupair to help with childcare if they have to deploy.
  5. No sympathy here, whatsoever. You join, you know the rules, you bloody well get on with it. (or leave.)

Not a million miles from where I am sitting there is a servicewoman who had just returned to work having had a year off for the birth etc of child no1. Guess what? Within months of being back, she's stagnant again and looking forward to another year off, all paid for by the grateful taxpayer. Mockery.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Don't worry, I'll do two tours away from my nipper so you don't have to do your tour away from yours.

Get your mess tins cleaned.
  7. £7k .... mmm, so the army will not pay for childcare, while you go and risk your life? sick. I do think though that just because you have a kid should not exclude you from deployment thats just stupid. Must be a better solution than £7k.
  8. You can get help towards paying an au pair - especially as a single parent. There will be some assistance through tax credits at the very least. I have had a "manny" for my son in the past and he has really loved having a bloke about to play cricket with (I throw like a girl...). If you do have some family then perhaps they can do the odd weekend to give the au pair time off? It's not ideal but you can work it to an advantage. Your little one can learn a language whilst you are away if you get a foreign au pair in - they are cheaper too. It's not all doom and gloom. Generations of children were sent to the other side of the world for years away from their parents who sat about in India drinking G&T - children are far more resilient than we give them credit for...

Au Pair Nannies | Au Pair Agencies | Smart Au Pairs
  9. Well said that man!
  10. fixed that for you - and thank you
  11. Are you seriously suggesting that he should deploy for 6 months and leave his child with an au pair? That is definitely not the answer. Au pairs aren't supposed to be left in sole charge of children for 24 hours let alone 6 months!

If you have no family or good friends to help out, then you've no option but to sack it.
  12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

So just let me check - you have no friends who can help, you have no family that can help, your kid has no friends with parents that you know and are able to help but if someone gives you £7k then all this issues with evaporate and you will be able to deploy as required?
  13. It may not be THE answer but it was one option that didn't entail leaving the Army. I didn't mean for the au pair to be in sole charge - obviously there would be need for a backup family member or friend to allow the au pair time off or in the event of any problems.

Just out of interest Tyddewi, how do you cope with the day to day childcare? The job is hardly a predictable 9-5 all year round is it? Who do you call on when you have to unexpectedly work late - or do you just pull the single parent card and sack it?
  14. How old is the child? If the child is 15 it is a very different situation to if they are a few years old.

Six months is a long time. What would you do if the au pair decides to sack it after a week? Are you really sure that this is the way ahead, you will be leaving your child with a person who you hardly know and who your child harly knows, for an extended period, with little ability to influence the domestic situation from the otherside of the world.

Your plan to use an au-pair has got dramas written all over it to me.
  15. Shows how much you know about cricket! Over-arm bowling was brought in for women players! :razz: