Single mothers rights

Discussion in 'Juniors' started by michael3429, Jul 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all,

Got a question regarding one of my soldiers.
    She is a single mother who is been pressured into signing off. We have a 3 month exercise coming up and she can't find child care due to her partner been on a 1 year class 1 course. The Sqn OC has got involved and mentioned to her that if she can't deploy on exercise she will be demoted or kicked out.
    Now I'm all for single mothers getting out on exercise and she has made every effort but due to her partner been away she is unable to get cover.
    They are due to marry in 3 weeks and I was wondering on her behalf what's the army stand on posting married people separate ways. As the talk at the moment is he will be getting posted to Germany after class 1 an she will be in uk. Do the army make effort to post married people together or is it something you chase up yourself

Thanks in advance as always
  2. Check the regs, it is HER responsibility to ensure she's got child care in place so she can work. I'm betting she knows that and is just pulling the wool to get off Ex and get her money for nothing while some poor ****** singly has to go for her. What if it were an Op tour?

If she can't get child care, she's **** all use to man nor beast in the Mob. Better off out, for her and the Service.

If you're really intent on going out of your way for her, go for non blameworthy removal from post and butter APC up to post her somewhere stable.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. All that from experience of running a very busy unit with two mums. Both had husband/boyfriend in green.

One had constant problems finding childcare and never went out the door, instead relying on others to do her work for her. The other screwed the nut and always found a way to make sure her kids were well looked after and she could work...even when her husband was on tour.

Guess which one got a sparkling SJAR, and guess which one I had removed from post?
  4. If you were in the services yourself you'd know the answer.
  5. Is this a trick question?
  6. That was a coincidence.

Given that the one who I had removed had been promoted by some mug at some point, clearly not!
  7. Had a similar problem myself a while back with a soldier.

At the end of the day it boils down to the fact childcare is a personal responsibility and if you cannot care for the child and meet your military obligations you can be discharged from the Army.

Queens Regulations make it clear that a soldier who cannot meet their military obligations may be discharged Free under Compassionate Grounds, or terminated either under QR 9.375 or 9.402 repsectively.

At the end of the day, it is the soldiers choice to have children, it is not the role of the Army to bend over backwards to facilitate people's lifestyle choices. They either soldier on, or get discharged.
  8. Unless that lifestyle choice involves sport, of course.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Oh, and this part of QR's (9.005) may be worth pointing out to her (my bold):

10. We do, under AGAI Vol 3, Ch 111 and a DCI which escapes me!
  11. Journo..................................
  12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Funnily enough I was thinking the same.
  13. I'm still trying to work out how a bird with a partner that she's marrying in three months is a single mother?
  14. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Single mother living in SFA. Boyfriend can't move in until ther are married.
  15. Seen. I forgot about the SFA angle.