Single mothers forced to give fathers name on birth certifi

from today´s Telegraph
Single mothers will be forced to give the name of their child's father on birth certificates so that they can be made to pay maintenance, under a Government clampdown on the benefits culture.
The move was unveiled in the Welfare Reform White Paper, designed to put tough new demands on everyone who claims from the state.

In the Commons, James Purnell, the Work and Pensions Secretary, said that in future "virtually everyone" claiming benefits would be either actively seeking work, or preparing to rejoin the job market.

Only the most severely disabled, their carers and the parents of infants would be exempt, with those who fail to abide by the rules being stripped of their benefits.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...o-give-fathers-name-on-birth-certificate.html

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
About time too
If couples undertake IVF treatment the father must sign a form stating he is the father and will be financially supportive of the sprog when it's born
Alternatively they could just wait outside Jeremy Kyles' studio and greet the fathers with the forms once thay have passed the lie detector test

I didn't realise only single mothers claimed benefit.

Some of the biggest sponging, lazy useless fckwits I have seen are two parent families.

I haven't heard anything yet as to what we are going to do about them, just more kickings for the single mums, again ffs.

Something like 58% of income supprt claims are under the "incapacity benefit" criteria, with the majority of claimants being men. Things like drug and alcohol dependency are valid criteria apparently for incapacity benefit.

Single mothers make up around 35% of income support claims and the majority of these women are aged between 25 - 44.

Of the 2.6m people claiming benefits in this country, single mothers make up less than a third of this figure. 57% of the UK's entire single mothers are also in employment.

Picking on the wrong ones again.

Good - next step would be to tell them they are not entitled to a council house until the rent is paid by the father or they work.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Moodybitch said:

Some of the biggest sponging, lazy useless fckwits I have seen are two parent families.

I haven't heard anything yet as to what we are going to do about them, just more kickings for the single mums, again ffs.

Something like 58% of income supprt claims are under the "incapacity benefit" criteria, with the majority of claimants being men. Things like drug and alcohol dependency are valid criteria apparently for incapacity benefit.

Single mothers make up around 35% of income support claims and the majority of these women are aged between 25 - 44.

Of the 2.6m people claiming benefits in this country, single mothers make up less than a third of this figure. 57% of the UK's entire single mothers are also in employment.

Totally agree my mother was a single parent and we got by (without benifits)
However to many blokes are dodging the issue If your old enough to give her one then your old enough to be responsible for the kid

What if the chav slut doesn't know who the dad is?? Drunken shag in an alleyway in Magaluf?? Whats she going to put on the form? obviously she can say goodbye ti the dole money!

I seem to remember this was the German system years ago. If she named the father, the Govt arranged to get money from him but supported the mother regardless of whether he paid or not. No name = no aid at all.

Don't laugh too much, cos when she puts your name on the birth cert you cannot legally force her to have a paternity test (although I seem to recall that both parents have to go to the registrar to get both names on the cert!) So, it seems like gesture politics yet again!

And under German law if you don't pay, you go to jail.

Moodybitch said:

They only have to name the father, Hows that picking on them? Why should the taxpayer cough up for their brats?
Of the 2.6 million benefit claimants I bet single mothers make up a large chunk even if it is under a third. Now they just need to get the rest of them.

Northern Monkey said:
Don't laugh too much, cos when she puts your name on the birth cert you cannot legally force her to have a paternity test (although I seem to recall that both parents have to go to the registrar to get both names on the cert!) So, it seems like gesture politics yet again!
Wrong, the CSA can get a court order for a DNA test if a named father disputes the claim for child support.

If the mother refuses, she gets fcuk all

Not wrong-only IF SHE consents to the test. The father either consents or is assumed to be the father! Any DNA test done without consent under these circumstances and under present law would be deemed an assault.

stacker1 said:
Moodybitch said:

They only have to name the father, Hows that picking on them? Why should the taxpayer cough up for their brats?
Of the 2.6 million benefit claimants I bet single mothers make up a large chunk even if it is under a third. Now they just need to get the rest of them.
It's less than a third, around 700,000 claiming benefits. The UK has around 2 million single parents in total.

Northern Monkey said:
Not wrong-only IF SHE consents to the test. The father either consents or is assumed to be the father! Any DNA test done without consent under these circumstances and under present law would be deemed an assault.
The father is entitled to get a court order to ensure the mother takes the DNA test.

Moodybitch said:
It's less than a third, around 700,000 claiming benefits. The UK has around 2 million single parents in total.
So just over a quarter then, Seem a good place to start by making them pay their way.

No, you CANNOT be forced even by court order to take a paternity test. Why do you think there was such a growth in commercial DNA tests with fathers taking samples on the sly?

stacker1 said:
Moodybitch said:
So just over a quarter then, Seem a good place to start by making them pay their way.
Which means 3 quarters of beenfit claimants are NOT single mothers, why are the majority not worth targeting as vigorously?

Moodybitch said:

I see what you mean Moodybitch but you'll find that everyone will moan they are being picked on. This is just a part of the white paper that concentrates on one specific area, single mums and rightly so. The tough stance is needed against all benefit cheats. It's just a shame that the Govt. are forced to make adult decisions that too many adults can't make for themselves.

Why shouldn't the father be named? He shared in the making of the child. The CSA caught up with the fathher of my cousins child after about 15 years and landed him with a bill for £42k, that thinned out his smug smile (I expect, I wasn't there). That's £42k he can start paying back to you and me and all the other tax payers who have been providing for his child while he's been living condom and carefree.

PL

Northern Monkey said:
No, you CANNOT be forced even by court order to take a paternity test. Why do you think there was such a growth in commercial DNA tests with fathers taking samples on the sly?
the named father can still take her to court, while it may not result in a court order for a DNA test, the court and CSA can agree that they can not assume the named fathers parentage due to the mothers refusal to co-operate.

you sound bitter, still hating the ex wife i see. :D

PandaLOVE said:
Moodybitch said:

I see what you mean Moodybitch but you'll find that everyone will moan they are being picked on. This is just a part of the white paper that concentrates on one specific area, single mums and rightly so. The tough stance is needed against all benefit cheats. It's just a shame that the Govt. are forced to make adult decisions that too many adults can't make for themselves.

Why shouldn't the father be named? He shared in the making of the child. The CSA caught up with the fathher of my cousins child after about 15 years and landed him with a bill for £42k, that thinned out his smug smile (I expect, I wasn't there). That's £42k he can start paying back to you and me and all the other tax payers who have been providing for his child while he's been living condom and carefree.

PL
I have no issue with a father being named on the birth certificate, I do however have an issue with the primary focus of media attention being on the single parent aspect of the welfare changes, when the facts clearly show they do no make up the majority of spongers in this country.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
michael3429 Juniors 16
broadsword Finance, Property, Law 6
GunnersQuadrant Charities and Welfare 11