Single Mans Life?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Emkay, Dec 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am considering applying for Officer entry.

The girlfriend has started making noises that it's the army or her (i'll miss her).

How did joining affect your relationship at the time and how has it affected future relationship prospects?

I can't imagine that there is much opportunity to get out and meet girls; or is there?

Am I signing up for a single man's life?

2. A wise man once said to me " the world will never run out of pretty girls or sports cars"

Never let someone else make these sorts of decisions for you. Join up and if she sacks it, so what there'll be plenty more

3. Damn right youre signing up for a single man's life. And it doesnt get much better!! Numerous adventures involving beer, nudity and sexually transmitted diseases. Countless trips to the d*ck doctor for blobby kn*b and yellow/green discharge. Bar fights with the local Turkish community downtown (insert German city or town), 24 hour pubs, cheap alcohol, houses of ill-repute. Not to mention antics in the Officers Mess involving beer, nudity and broom handles. Sign up, kiss you ex goodbye and enjoy 22 glorious years under the Queen's banner.

Oh, and occasionally you may get a deployment or two. But needless to say, you'll love it.

4. 1. Anyone who puts an ultimatum like that to you needs to be dismissed immediately. (Well, first you might want to kick her back doors in one last time.)

2. If you choose her over the army, she will thinks she owns you.

3. Assuming you're in your early twenties, the chances are she's not the one you are going to marry.

4. Even if you do, and you stay out of the army, at some point you will resent her for the decision.

5. I know of a number of guys who were given this ultimatum by their girlfriends as the time to decide to go to Sandhurst arrived.

Most are now estate agents whose wives bully them.

I'm sure Knight Frank are recruiting...

6. I know of a number of guys who were given this ultimatum by their girlfriends as the time to decide to go to Sandhurst arrived.

Most are now estate agents whose wives bully them.

I'm sure Knight Frank are recruiting...

7. Go to Sandhurst.

If she bins you before you go that's great so you can do what you want on your few weekends off.
    If she bins you while you are there you can pin your Dear John on the PL notice board and get abused and counselled by your mates over a number of beers.
    If she hasn't binned you by the time you pass out you will bin her when you join Bn and it's just too good a life to be paired off with the old bag.

Pretty girls with posh names love subbies and let's face it dirty posh birds put out.

Drive on.

8. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

Are you kidding me?

9. Eject, eject eject,
    exit burning relationship
    spend all your subby money on booze and fast cars
    Get issues army wife, labrador and defender on captain posting!

OS

10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This situation is not confined to the younger generation. I have recently (in my forties) been in a similar situation - female happy with constraints of job with military and all it involves. Get engaged, then the ultimata and deadlines start.

Anyway, I enjoyed driving my newly acquired sports car at the weekend.....

11. Her: "What's more important: me or the army?"
    You: "The army of course, you silly bint! Get a grip."
    If that's not the answer, you're in the wrong job.

12. About Dirty posh birds putting out???

There are few certainties in life but Kate and Emily once suitably plied with cheap champagne / cava and brandy homemade cocktails are one of them.

13. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

No about a potential leader of men worrying whether girls will still like him when he joins up.

14. Burn the witch!!

15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

1. You need to be very positive about applying to be an officer. If you're 'sort of thinking about it', don't bother because you won't make it.

2. Your girlfriend is being selfish. Why would she want to stop you fulfilling your dreams?

3. It didn't do any harm to my shagging/marriage prospects.

4. What??? Get real, it isn't a monastery.

5. No.