Single Mans Life?

I am considering applying for Officer entry.

The girlfriend has started making noises that it's the army or her (i'll miss her).

How did joining affect your relationship at the time and how has it affected future relationship prospects?

I can't imagine that there is much opportunity to get out and meet girls; or is there?

Am I signing up for a single man's life?

A wise man once said to me " the world will never run out of pretty girls or sports cars"

Never let someone else make these sorts of decisions for you. Join up and if she sacks it, so what there'll be plenty more

Damn right youre signing up for a single man's life. And it doesnt get much better!! Numerous adventures involving beer, nudity and sexually transmitted diseases. Countless trips to the d*ck doctor for blobby kn*b and yellow/green discharge. Bar fights with the local Turkish community downtown (insert German city or town), 24 hour pubs, cheap alcohol, houses of ill-repute. Not to mention antics in the Officers Mess involving beer, nudity and broom handles. Sign up, kiss you ex goodbye and enjoy 22 glorious years under the Queen's banner.

Oh, and occasionally you may get a deployment or two. But needless to say, you'll love it.

1. Anyone who puts an ultimatum like that to you needs to be dismissed immediately. (Well, first you might want to kick her back doors in one last time.)

2. If you choose her over the army, she will thinks she owns you.

3. Assuming you're in your early twenties, the chances are she's not the one you are going to marry.

4. Even if you do, and you stay out of the army, at some point you will resent her for the decision.

I know of a number of guys who were given this ultimatum by their girlfriends as the time to decide to go to Sandhurst arrived.

Most are now estate agents whose wives bully them.

I'm sure Knight Frank are recruiting...

I know of a number of guys who were given this ultimatum by their girlfriends as the time to decide to go to Sandhurst arrived.

Most are now estate agents whose wives bully them.

I'm sure Knight Frank are recruiting...

Go to Sandhurst.

If she bins you before you go that's great so you can do what you want on your few weekends off.
If she bins you while you are there you can pin your Dear John on the PL notice board and get abused and counselled by your mates over a number of beers.
If she hasn't binned you by the time you pass out you will bin her when you join Bn and it's just too good a life to be paired off with the old bag.

Pretty girls with posh names love subbies and let's face it dirty posh birds put out.

Drive on.

Eject, eject eject,
exit burning relationship
spend all your subby money on booze and fast cars
Get issues army wife, labrador and defender on captain posting!

OS

This situation is not confined to the younger generation. I have recently (in my forties) been in a similar situation - female happy with constraints of job with military and all it involves. Get engaged, then the ultimata and deadlines start.

Anyway, I enjoyed driving my newly acquired sports car at the weekend.....

Her: "What's more important: me or the army?"
You: "The army of course, you silly bint! Get a grip."
If that's not the answer, you're in the wrong job.

RTFQ said:
Are you kidding me?
About Dirty posh birds putting out???

There are few certainties in life but Kate and Emily once suitably plied with cheap champagne / cava and brandy homemade cocktails are one of them.

LostBoss said:
RTFQ said:
Are you kidding me?
About Dirty posh birds putting out???

There are few certainties in life but Kate and Emily once suitably plied with cheap champagne / cava and brandy homemade cocktails are one of them.
No about a potential leader of men worrying whether girls will still like him when he joins up.

ACAB

On ROPS
On ROPs
Burn the witch!!

cpunk

LE
Emkay said:
I am considering applying for Officer entry.

The girlfriend has started making noises that it's the army or her (i'll miss her).

How did joining affect your relationship at the time and how has it affected future relationship prospects?

I can't imagine that there is much opportunity to get out and meet girls; or is there?

Am I signing up for a single man's life?
1. You need to be very positive about applying to be an officer. If you're 'sort of thinking about it', don't bother because you won't make it.

2. Your girlfriend is being selfish. Why would she want to stop you fulfilling your dreams?

3. It didn't do any harm to my shagging/marriage prospects.

4. What??? Get real, it isn't a monastery.

5. No.

Bin her mate or give HER the speech about 'the Army will come always first' then watch her ditch you and run a mile, thus saving you the guilt that may or may not have plagued you for a while afterwards!

My personal experience was of a lady i met while in Sandbags, we were close and (maybe) in love but as soon as i got to my Regt in Germany I realised there was more to life than listening to some bint crying on the other side of the phone while all I wanted to do was get minging and make an acquaintance with some Eastern European ladies! :twisted:

In short, get out and come on in to the party! :lol:

Right what makes you think SHE is suitable for military service as a wife or girlfriend? Does she meet the criteria for the passing in test in the mess? Will she make the CO drool with her sophisticated looks and the kind of top bo11ocks that would secure the centre spread in lactating mamas, will she charm the thrusting Majors with the kind of wit that could get her a guest editorial in the Spectator and will she sit in the corner of the bar with the subbies lighting her farts and drinking piss?

Moreover when married will she become a shadow of her former self, buy a Land Rover Freelander, wear wellies, jodhpurs, Alice band and a civie Jap fighting suit jacket whilst spitting out kids and pumping the CO's wife for career enhancing int?

If any of this gives you pause for thought then kick her into touch and start working on your German language skills with women who speak it as a second language!

Join the Army and you will never be short of totty ever again ... until you get married that is, which is when it all goes terribly, horribly, spectacularly wrong. Or unless you hunt with the chocolate ride I suppose.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Don't bin her - that would be cruel.

Just shag her every time you come home

Look, if she's the sort of person who gives you that kind of ultimatum (i.e. regardless of what you want) then you should ditch her and run. I'm at Sandhurst, I have a girlfriend, it's tough but she understands, so it works - and that's the only way it can work. Unfortunately, if you go to RMAS, you have to have a girlfriend who understands that things need to go on your terms for a year.

Failing that, give her a slap.