Single Living Out

Here's a corker for anyone in the know.

The problem: I have applied to live out and seem to be getting the run around with permission.

My situation:

I currently have a room in the Sgt's mess which is SLAM accom but never use it.
I am never on camp to take meals but if I did stay on camp I would leave before the mess is open and return when it's closed.
I would have to travel to my present job which is a 30 min drive from my unit.
I have my own property which is approx a 1 hr drive from my job. The distance is around 53 miles.
I only have 3 months left at work before my resettlement and termination leave after more than 22 years service.
I have applied to live out in my own property after testing the route and shift pattern and found it more advantageous for me to live at home.

My problem is, the powers to be are giving me the run around with my application to live out as they think the distance is too far?

I have never had a problem with lateness.
I'm a SNCO and suppose to be an adult.
I'm losing money each month with SLA and food charges and also paying for my own fuel as I am staying at my own house.

Is there anyone who can offer advice on this as to what further actions I could take if they continue to delay the application and can it be back dated to when the application was submitted?

Whats an even bigger kick in the teeth is our unit has Pte soldiers who have been granted permission even though they live further.
Sorry if this sounds dumb but do the regs have an HR department? or the Army eq cause they should be able to help?
What’s an even bigger kick in the teeth is our unit has Pte soldiers who have been granted permission even though they live further?

Have you ever thought that your chain of command think that the Pte soldiers are more grown up? Being a Snco does not automatically make you special and the Pte soldiers still have time to serve and in the cold harsh light of day you do not. Your CO/OC will invest more time in these guys as he will hope to get a better return.
Saying that it’s out of order that you are denied after serving 22 years put a redress in against the decision and explain your position.
Aquafresh said:
Are you on the over 37 thingy??? if so you only pay peanuts
Singlies don't get >37

The problem at hand:

The rules regarding permission to live out do not apply to SNCO's. You can move out of your own choice and claim HTD @ 50m assuming taht all teh criteria are met for PMP.

If you have DII / RLI etc, PM and I will ping a barrage of regs your way for you to throw at your CoC.

Bizarre that you are even having to ask about this, when i got posted to my present unit as a single SNCO they asked whether or not i was going to live in the mess and i told them i would be staying at my Girlfriends 40 miles down the road, it wasnt questioned and i didnt have to apply for anything, a week later i just went to the RAO to fill in the forms and cancel the charges.
All single servicepersons require permission to live out. The following is extracted from AGAIs and give you chapter and verse:

Living Out by Single Personnel

53.020 Policy. As a matter of Army policy the following categories of personnel must live in barracks/messes:

a. Recruits undergoing basic (Phase 1) and special to arm (Phase 2) training unless entitled to SFA.

b. Officers undergoing officer cadet or initial Special to Arm training.

c. Soldiers under 18 years of age.

d. Individuals serving with their first unit after completion of basic (Phase 1) and special to arm (Phase 2) training must live in barracks for a minimum of 12 months in order to demonstrate a satisfactory level of personal responsibility. For older and demonstrably more mature individuals who have joined the Service later in life, this period may be shortened at the discretion of the commanding officer.

53.021 Operational Effectiveness. In some cases, an individual’s contribution to operational effectiveness or ability to deliver or absorb training may be adversely affected by his personal circumstances not least by living out. In such cases, a commander may consider that such an individual should live in barracks as a specific professional requirement. However, in most cases there will not be a direct connection and commanders should allow individuals tolive out. When an individual is granted permission tolive out, it will principally be a matter of personal responsibility to ensure that operational effectiveness is not degraded as a result.

53.022 Regulation. Living out needs to be subject to a degree of regulation as follows:

a. Individuals should seek formal permission from their commanding officer to live out.

b. Commanding officers should consider applications tolive outon their individual merits. Factors to be considered include operational readiness, unit and personnel security, man management, discipline, any compassionate circumstances, financial considerations including adequate insurance and such accommodation is available. Where it is proposed that private accommodation should be shared, the ranks of those concerned are relevant. As a general rule sharing is to be permitted only by individuals of broadly similar rank or from the same mess in accordance with the values and standards of the British Army.

After consideration of the factors permission should be granted provided it is not considered an individual’s operational effectiveness will be degraded.

53.023 Stipulations. All accommodation arrangements are a strictly private matter between the individual and the owner of the accommodation (if rented). Where permission is granted, food and accommodation charges will be waived, but the soldier will not be entitled to retain rooms or living space in barrack rooms. Living-out is undertaken on the understanding that:

a. Any meals taken in barracks are paid for in accordance with current regulations.

b. Permission tolive outdoes not set up an entitlement to lodging allowances, home to duty travel refund or any other allowance, except as already authorized in RAAC.

c. Personnel ensure that their personal accommodation arrangements have taken account of the exigencies of the Service and are aware that they are responsible for the full costs irrespective of unit commitments and operational deployments. They should have adequate insurance cover against the eventuality of having to vacate accommodation before the completion of a contracted minimum period of occupation or notice.

d. Commanders issue orders defining the circumstances under which living in must be ordered for operational reasons dependent on local conditions.

e. Permission tolive outmay be withdrawn for appropriate Service reasons particularly if an individual’s personal operational efficiency is impaired.

Isolated failings in military performance should be dealt with in the normal manner as would be appropriate for a married person. Withdrawal of permission tolive outshould not to be confused with military discipline, and should only be invoked for failures in performance that are directly related to the individual living out.

Similar threads

Latest Threads