Single Living Accomodation

Of course it was the dog.

Back in the bad old days we were 8 to a 4 man room, that was temporary while they rebuilt the other blocks to single person rooms with shared ablutions.
It was far from ideal. The other option was to find, and pay for, our own accommodation. Yes we were supposed to have better, nothing was available.
We couldn't have something that wasn't available.
And hopefully your accn charges would've been abated downwards (or waived altogether) to reflect the situation.

A good flogging never harmed anyone, bit of salt into the wound then crack on!
It obviously wasn't being done properly then.;)

The clerk . . . or the dog?
Could've been both to be honest, our G1 hero was something of an oddball - but a loveable oddball nonetheless.

And hopefully your accn charges would've been abated downwards (or waived altogether) to reflect the situation.
Didn't pay a penny for months. I vaguely remember that the CO declared exercise conditions at one point.

Didn't pay a penny for months. I vaguely remember that the CO declared exercise conditions at one point.
And that is the way the system should work. I can't help thinking that that is a better route for the OP to go down - accept that he isn't going to get the room he believes he should have and push for reduced accn charges instead.

ETA: its all about picking the battles you have a chance of winning!

And that is the way the system should work. I can't help thinking that that is a better route for the OP to go down - accept that he isn't going to get the room he believes he should have and push for reduced accn charges instead.

It's also worth getting the powers that be onside, rather than fighting them. Oddly enough I've often found that a polite chat/rrquest goes a lot better than demanding something - regardless of entitlement/law/contracts etc.

Well I've lost track of the number of times that the JR's have been in single en-suite rooms while the SNCOs and officers have been bedded down on camp beds in a classroom.

In fact, in 28 years of being a SNCO, I don't think I spent more than 7 days living in the Mess - and 2 of those were in Yank BOQs.

Entitlement seems to get more elusive the further up the pay scale you go. Perhaps you reach a stage where the powers that be feel that they don't have to worry about your retention.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
When you talk.about Z grade SLA, I preaume that you are referring to what the RAF call "SLAM". En suite, built in wardrobes, all self contained. That sort if thing?

Why do you feel entitled? Rarely, even on RAF units, has enough been built for all single personnel. Often there is a waiting list. Others live in the old accommodation blocks whilst they wait for their number to be called.

Perhaps more info from you might help....but if you took a posting on a tenuous offer of SLAM, you should prepare for some home truths in the replies you get and treat this posting as a "learning opportunity "
SLAM is the overall Tri-Service Project : Single Living Accommodation Modernization.

Type Z is the basic accommodation standard - one man, one room en-suite. Applies to trained soldiers not new intake who will still be in shared accom.

Neither are an 'entitlement' in the Army. If you are allocated a Type Z room - and fail to maintain a decent standard of cleanliness - it can be removed.

(' For you bucko der own shower ist Verloren....ha, ha ! ' )

Montgomery Lines?

Last edited: