Single Living Accomodation

You should be in a Z type single room.
But there aren’t enough around the country and they are not in the right places

Better Defence Estate Strategy, DEOP, ABP etc are all working on putting the right accommodation in the right places.

If you want to open yourself up more you can post up the location, but then you’re more exposed
Are you saying that Z type exists on site and you are not being given it, you may or may not get a reason why

Yep that says types of, not entitlement for.
I know a few units that are sharing, I know more where it certainly isnt en suite.

Stacker take at look at JSP 464. Tells you what Accomodation you are entitled to.

JSP states that an NCO is entitled to z type and I'm in shared Accomodation. So if an NCO is stated to be entitled to z type and is in a 4 man room and CoC won't help what would be the best course for me to take?
If you are an NCO and don’t understand the realities of life yet' I really do worry ^~

'Entitlement' is the wording used in the JSP.

Section II – Where the Entitlement may be Exercised

0315. Entitlement at the Duty Station. Service personnel may exercise their entitlement to SLA at their duty station (taken to mean the location specified on their posting order). Whenever possible, the guiding principle is that personnel should have an expectation of retaining their same accommodation for the duration of their tour of duty unless they request to move to alternative accommodation, or there are Service reasons as to why they should move accommodation (for example upgrade and/or refurbishment or promotion.
No idea about the subject but I’ve been in the military long enough to air on the side of caution when I see the word I’ve put in bold

According to Irlsgt’s dictionary a common substitute for that word is won’t

The key of course covered in the rest of the posts is ‘should’ and pretty much everyone but @Sprinter . is aware that’s not the reality on the ground
I'm not sure if the JSP are saying they are entitled, it seem to be worded in a manner that suggests what the army would like to have, but in no way is it what soldiers have the legal right to.

Stacker take at look at JSP 464. Tells you what Accomodation you are entitled to.

JSP states that an NCO is entitled to z type and I'm in shared Accomodation. So if an NCO is stated to be entitled to z type and is in a 4 man room and CoC won't help what would be the best course for me to take?

Do your roomies have bigger willies than you ? You ******* trumpet

You are entitled to accm. You have been accomodated as per the exegencies of the service. As stated there is z type there but its not for you. There is your answer. Stop dripping and soldier on

Yep that says types of, not entitlement for.
I know a few units that are sharing, I know more where it certainly isnt en suite.
I think shared accommodation for Private soldiers is a great idea, it helps with bonding, team spirit etc. But thats a different conversation.

The OP says he is an NCO.

I have been in the Army for a very long time and can never remember NCO's sharing a room. Not at a permanent duty station anyway.

I think shared accommodation for Private soldiers is a great idea, it helps with bonding, team spirit etc. But thats a different conversation.

I have been in the Army for a very long time and can never remember NCO's sharing a room. Not at a permanent duty station anyway.
Really? I've been out 12 years (feck, where did all that time go?), at Royal Signals units (yes, I know....) it was the norm for up to four JNCOs to share accommodation, and in some cases in the WOs' and Sgts' Mess you'd have two seniors sharing.

FFS, when I was at JCU(NI) I had to share with the clerk and his dog*!

*-Which ate furniture and pissed everywhere!

Last edited:
Really? I've been out 12 years (feck, where did all that time go?), at Royal Signals units (yes, I know....) it was the norm for up to four JNCOs to share accommodation, and in some cases in the WOs' and Sgts' Mess you'd have two seniors sharing.

Of course it was the dog.

Back in the bad old days we were 8 to a 4 man room, that was temporary while they rebuilt the other blocks to single person rooms with shared ablutions.
It was far from ideal. The other option was to find, and pay for, our own accommodation. Yes we were supposed to have better, nothing was available.
We couldn't have something that wasn't available.

I know of an infantry battalion that still has LCpls sharing.

I dont think anyone should share in this day and age, bonding and team spirit and all that was great 30 years when people didn't have consoles/Skype/Sky/Blu Ray and the NAAFI bar wasnt that bad.

Having said that I don't think anyone should have the "right" to it. Its a good incentive for retention, but no one is forced to stay in the army.

A good flogging never harmed anyone, bit of salt into the wound then crack on!
Personally, I think that the beatings should continue until morale improves! Worked in my day . . . herrumpphhhh :-D

The clerk . . . or the dog?

Here's an idea, don't like it then go out and rent some accommodation. You can then thrap yourself stupid without the risk of getting caught.