• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Single Living Accomodation

This has probably been done to death before but would appreciate some advice. If I'm entitled to Z grade SLA but my duty station can't and/or won't provide it how far do I push it and what prospect have I got of getting SLA or SSLA? When I asked about the prospect of getting an SLA and mentioned the JSP stating my entitlement the RCMO went ballistic. What's the point of having an entitlement if it can't be provided? One of the reasons I asked for this posting was because I was told that I'd get SLA. Thanks in advance for answering.

This has probably been done to death before but would appreciate some advice. If I'm entitled to Z grade SLA but my duty station can't and/or won't provide it how far do I push it and what prospect have I got of getting SLA or SSLA? When I asked about the prospect of getting an SLA and mentioned the JSP stating my entitlement the RCMO went ballistic. What's the point of having an entitlement if it can't be provided? One of the reasons I asked for this posting was because I was told that I'd get SLA. Thanks in advance for answering.
where are you expected to live?
And what's it got to do with the RCMO?

I’m not sure there’s a specific entitlement to a particular grade of accommodation. You’ll probably be entitled to SLA of whatever grade is available at your duty station .

For my entire career, that has been grade 4 SLA.

Which JSP are you talking about, 315?

Danny - Placed in a 4 man room. Others here been in this situation for months. Was referred to RCMO when I wanted to establish prospects of getting SLA.

Crazy - JSP 464 - 0315 states you what level of Accomodation you're entitled to. Being entitled to it though and getting it are two completely different things tho.

Crazy - JSP 464 tells you what level of Accomodation you're entitled to. Being entitled to it though and getting it are two completely different things tho.
Whereabouts in the JSP.

When you talk.about Z grade SLA, I preaume that you are referring to what the RAF call "SLAM". En suite, built in wardrobes, all self contained. That sort if thing?

Why do you feel entitled? Rarely, even on RAF units, has enough been built for all single personnel. Often there is a waiting list. Others live in the old accommodation blocks whilst they wait for their number to be called.

Perhaps more info from you might help....but if you took a posting on a tenuous offer of SLAM, you should prepare for some home truths in the replies you get and treat this posting as a "learning opportunity "

Danny - Placed in a 4 man room. Others here been in this situation for months. Was referred to RCMO when I wanted to establish prospects of getting SLA.

Crazy - JSP 464 - 0315 states you what level of Accomodation you're entitled to. Being entitled to it though and getting it are two completely different things tho.
Erm...a four man room is still SLA. Just not a single man room.

'Entitlement' is the wording used in the JSP.

Section II – Where the Entitlement may be Exercised

0315. Entitlement at the Duty Station. Service personnel may exercise their entitlement to SLA at their duty station (taken to mean the location specified on their posting order). Whenever possible, the guiding principle is that personnel should have an expectation of retaining their same accommodation for the duration of their tour of duty unless they request to move to alternative accommodation, or there are Service reasons as to why they should move accommodation (for example upgrade and/or refurbishment or promotion.

'Entitlement' is the wording used in the JSP.

Section II – Where the Entitlement may be Exercised

0315. Entitlement at the Duty Station. Service personnel may exercise their entitlement to SLA at their duty station (taken to mean the location specified on their posting order). Whenever possible, the guiding principle is that personnel should have an expectation of retaining their same accommodation for the duration of their tour of duty unless they request to move to alternative accommodation, or there are Service reasons as to why they should move accommodation (for example upgrade and/or refurbishment or promotion.
As Infiltrator states, SLA isnt always a single room. If thats what you went to your CoC with, you wont have much luck.

Mate, I think you are confusing your terminology or are just confused. SLA is single living accommodation and can vastly vary in number of occupants per room. Z type SLA is as described above.

If you was promised Z type and are sharing, you probably would want that in writing, otherwise, you was promised a turkey and you will be ‘sucking it up’.

If you are there for long term, why not rent somewhere off base privately?

But Z type SLA is 'bedroom with en-suite' again that's the description in the JSP. A 4 man room isn't this, doesn't have the 'en-suite' and only supposed to be used for Ph 2 training. I'm not looking for a room in the Ritz just expected to be provided what I was told I'd get. FWIW Its been acknowledged that I'm entitled to it but that there aren't any available, although it's clear to everyone that there are. Just not for us!!

But Z type SLA is 'bedroom with en-suite' again that's the description in the JSP. A 4 man room isn't this, doesn't have the 'en-suite' and only supposed to be used for Ph 2 training. I'm not looking for a room in the Ritz just expected to be provided what I was told I'd get. FWIW Its been acknowledged that I'm entitled to it but that there aren't any available, although it's clear to everyone that there are. Just not for us!!
Where does it say you have to have an ensuite (or Z type)? Several locations outside of training establishment in the UK have shared rooms and/or shared ablutions.

SLA is single living accommodation, JSP 315 states the design standards of the accommodation types

X = aimed at phase 1 training, multiple occupancy with 8 - 12 man rooms
Y = aimed at phase 2 training etc, mutiple
Z = single rooms

SLAM gets used as a term for single rooms but SLAM was just a project on Z type accommodation

Actual acommodation out in the world might not be any of those types and could be very old designs

A trained soldier is entitled to and should be accommodated in Z type

SSSA is an alternative - Substitute Single Service Accommodation. Which means the MoD rents a house or flat in the private rental market.
If a 4 man room is available then that means it is not justified for the tax payer to pay commercial rates renting from a private landlord, which you only contribute the subsidised accommodation charges

Another alternative is SFA, whereby single soldiers are put in families accommodation
First it must be available, then it must be converted .... the house would be reconfigured for sharing by singles with fire regs etc
But the 4 man room is there so you aren’t entitled

In a 4 man room your rent goes down because you don’t have the accommodation standards you are entitled to

The point of having an entitlement that isn’t being provided is that sets the standard. It does not mean the government are going to pay for it
Write to your mp and ask why you are only being offered to share a 4 man room
Is there any value to the taxpayer to build you a new block .... is that site going to exist in 5 or 10 years time, is there a programme of works in place planning to upgrade the site etc ?

Stacker take at look at JSP 464. Tells you what Accomodation you are entitled to.

JSP states that an NCO is entitled to z type and I'm in shared Accomodation. So if an NCO is stated to be entitled to z type and is in a 4 man room and CoC won't help what would be the best course for me to take?

Stacker take at look at JSP 464. Tells you what Accomodation you are entitled to.

JSP states that an NCO is entitled to z type and I'm in shared Accomodation. So if an NCO is stated to be entitled to z type and is in a 4 man room and CoC won't help what would be the best course for me to take?
I have, the wording changes from "entitlement" to "eligibility" on the table in para 322.

If you are reading something different can you copy and paste the bit that says you should have Z Type.

While @stacker1 is reading JSP464 have a read of JSP 315
Volume 1 Part 1, such as:

The BPS are not an automatic entitlement, however, variations to the provisions in the BPS shall only be made where there is demonstrable and endorsed capability requirement, value for money case and / or operational benefit.

A trained soldier is entitled to and should be accommodated in Z type
That will come as news to quite a few soldiers who are sharing.