Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Single Living Accomodation

Sprinter

Swinger
This has probably been done to death before but would appreciate some advice. If I'm entitled to Z grade SLA but my duty station can't and/or won't provide it how far do I push it and what prospect have I got of getting SLA or SSLA? When I asked about the prospect of getting an SLA and mentioned the JSP stating my entitlement the RCMO went ballistic. What's the point of having an entitlement if it can't be provided? One of the reasons I asked for this posting was because I was told that I'd get SLA. Thanks in advance for answering.

This has probably been done to death before but would appreciate some advice. If I'm entitled to Z grade SLA but my duty station can't and/or won't provide it how far do I push it and what prospect have I got of getting SLA or SSLA? When I asked about the prospect of getting an SLA and mentioned the JSP stating my entitlement the RCMO went ballistic. What's the point of having an entitlement if it can't be provided? One of the reasons I asked for this posting was because I was told that I'd get SLA. Thanks in advance for answering.
where are you expected to live?
And what's it got to do with the RCMO?

I’m not sure there’s a specific entitlement to a particular grade of accommodation. You’ll probably be entitled to SLA of whatever grade is available at your duty station .

For my entire career, that has been grade 4 SLA.

Which JSP are you talking about, 315?

Danny - Placed in a 4 man room. Others here been in this situation for months. Was referred to RCMO when I wanted to establish prospects of getting SLA.

Crazy - JSP 464 - 0315 states you what level of Accomodation you're entitled to. Being entitled to it though and getting it are two completely different things tho.

When you talk.about Z grade SLA, I preaume that you are referring to what the RAF call "SLAM". En suite, built in wardrobes, all self contained. That sort if thing?

Why do you feel entitled? Rarely, even on RAF units, has enough been built for all single personnel. Often there is a waiting list. Others live in the old accommodation blocks whilst they wait for their number to be called.

Perhaps more info from you might help....but if you took a posting on a tenuous offer of SLAM, you should prepare for some home truths in the replies you get and treat this posting as a "learning opportunity "

Danny - Placed in a 4 man room. Others here been in this situation for months. Was referred to RCMO when I wanted to establish prospects of getting SLA.

Crazy - JSP 464 - 0315 states you what level of Accomodation you're entitled to. Being entitled to it though and getting it are two completely different things tho.
Erm...a four man room is still SLA. Just not a single man room.

'Entitlement' is the wording used in the JSP.

Section II – Where the Entitlement may be Exercised

0315. Entitlement at the Duty Station. Service personnel may exercise their entitlement to SLA at their duty station (taken to mean the location specified on their posting order). Whenever possible, the guiding principle is that personnel should have an expectation of retaining their same accommodation for the duration of their tour of duty unless they request to move to alternative accommodation, or there are Service reasons as to why they should move accommodation (for example upgrade and/or refurbishment or promotion.

'Entitlement' is the wording used in the JSP.

Section II – Where the Entitlement may be Exercised

0315. Entitlement at the Duty Station. Service personnel may exercise their entitlement to SLA at their duty station (taken to mean the location specified on their posting order). Whenever possible, the guiding principle is that personnel should have an expectation of retaining their same accommodation for the duration of their tour of duty unless they request to move to alternative accommodation, or there are Service reasons as to why they should move accommodation (for example upgrade and/or refurbishment or promotion.

As Infiltrator states, SLA isnt always a single room. If thats what you went to your CoC with, you wont have much luck.

Mate, I think you are confusing your terminology or are just confused. SLA is single living accommodation and can vastly vary in number of occupants per room. Z type SLA is as described above.

If you was promised Z type and are sharing, you probably would want that in writing, otherwise, you was promised a turkey and you will be ‘sucking it up’.

But Z type SLA is 'bedroom with en-suite' again that's the description in the JSP. A 4 man room isn't this, doesn't have the 'en-suite' and only supposed to be used for Ph 2 training. I'm not looking for a room in the Ritz just expected to be provided what I was told I'd get. FWIW Its been acknowledged that I'm entitled to it but that there aren't any available, although it's clear to everyone that there are. Just not for us!!

But Z type SLA is 'bedroom with en-suite' again that's the description in the JSP. A 4 man room isn't this, doesn't have the 'en-suite' and only supposed to be used for Ph 2 training. I'm not looking for a room in the Ritz just expected to be provided what I was told I'd get. FWIW Its been acknowledged that I'm entitled to it but that there aren't any available, although it's clear to everyone that there are. Just not for us!!

Where does it say you have to have an ensuite (or Z type)? Several locations outside of training establishment in the UK have shared rooms and/or shared ablutions.