Single Living Accommodation - Electricals

Nottsalot

Swinger
Hello,

So I finish work and return to a note on all of our doors. Now we have been told a lot of things within the block but now we can't use anything electrical if it isn't PAT tested... Understandable to a degree but I am not sitting in my room with my TV switched off. If I were to tip up to work with my kit not ironed would that then be acceptable? Or if I need contacting but have a flat battery because I can't use my charger?!

However my biggest problem is the fact they have been that low that they have said we can't have a toaster in the kitchen! #%€$¥!?#%*+ I am raging! Bean's on bread?! Or the fact we can't have an electric oven because it's a fire hazard... What next leave your lighters outside?!

Where can I find the rules and regulations on what we can and can't have within the block please?! Because I am paying rent (as little as it may be for Z type accommodation) and I feel we should have some sort of rights to eat decent home made food?!

Thanks for listening to my rant!

2lxz0op.jpg

I'd have a word with the illiterate tw*t that wrote that up if I were you!
Tell him what a throbber he is. Go on, I dare you!
It reads like a Nigerian email :)

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hello,

So I finish work and return to a note on all of our doors. Now we have been told a lot of things within the block but now we can't use anything electrical if it isn't PAT tested... Understandable to a degree but I am not sitting in my room with my TV switched off. If I were to tip up to work with my kit not ironed would that then be acceptable? Or if I need contacting but have a flat battery because I can't use my charger?!

However my biggest problem is the fact they have been that low that they have said we can't have a toaster in the kitchen! #%€$¥!?#%*+ I am raging! Bean's on bread?! Or the fact we can't have an electric oven because it's a fire hazard... What next leave your lighters outside?!

Where can I find the rules and regulations on what we can and can't have within the block please?! Because I am paying rent (as little as it may be for Z type accommodation) and I feel we should have some sort of rights to eat decent home made food?!

Thanks for listening to my rant!

2lxz0op.jpg

Hark at 'Im - rules and regulations 'e wants.

Here is the rules.

You can have anything you want in the block so long as the CO, the Adjutant, the orderly officer, the orderly sergeant, the guard commander, QM, the SQMS, the TQMS, the RQMS, the SSM, the fire officer, the block senior, your troop sergeant, the master chef and your section commander say it's OK...

Fekkin rules indeed.

Last edited:
It's an interesting conundrum. PAT testing is appropriate to satisfy HASAW, but is not a requirement for personal items in one's accommodation. I had an interesting discussion with the Mess Manager at one establishment about the requirements, particularly those to do with double-insulated equipment, and the legislation.

It's bloody awfully worded but two things (quite apart from the idiocy of applying PAT to a domestic situation)

It does not say you can't have a toaster. It says it needs it be removed from the kitchen floor. (may not be what it means, but that's what it says)
It does not say you can't have an electric oven. It just says you can't have one "other than those fitted" (so presumably not in your room which actually seems sensible to me)

Have they told you how you should go about getting your items tested?

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
It's bloody awfully worded but two things (quite apart from the idiocy of applying PAT to a domestic situation)

It does not say you can't have a toaster. It says it needs it be removed from the kitchen floor. (may not be what it means, but that's what it says)
It does not say you can't have an electric oven. It just says you can't have one "other than those fitted" (so presumably not in your room which actually seems sensible to me)

Now just a cotton-pickin minute - were you allowed to use the ovens in your accn?

We certainly weren't.

Not in normal rooms no, but it appears they have a kitchen so I assume they have an oven fitted there. Seems reasonable that electric ovens and grills should NOT be allowed in individual rooms to be quite honest.

Now just a cotton-pickin minute - were you allowed to use the ovens in your accn?

We certainly weren't.

As ex J\DVR Speedy arrives in Germany to find his new accomodation a shiny new refurbished block complete with 'kitchen'.
'Oooh, goody! Can we cook in it corporal?', says I to my new section commander.
'Nope', he replies. 'The SSM says it's agains camp regs. You aren't even allowed to have cooking implements such as pots and pans etc. as it's unhygenic'.

Much the same as the 'common area' rooms they had in those flats. We wern't allowed to use those in case they got 'untidy'.
Considering the damage and abuse the rest of the flats got in the four years I was there it would have only spread out the devestation anyhow.

Last edited:

Nottsalot

Swinger
Well they have told us that we are not allowed toasters or oven's (we have hidden them) however the provo has taken an oven from someone else's corridor! I don't see what the big issue is with a mini oven (http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/4234834/searchTerm/Oven.htm) thats the one I have. Why don't they PAT test them then?! I can understand chip pans etc... But the required fire extinguishers/fire blankets are in the blocks! And it isn't room's it is the kitchen that they are booting off about toasters!

People have done their PAT testing course and are going to go around next week so I have heard. If there are no rules and regs about it why can't I do what I want then?! It's a joke!

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not in normal rooms no, but it appears they have a kitchen so I assume they have an oven fitted there. Seems reasonable that electric ovens and grills should NOT be allowed in individual rooms to be quite honest.

No - we had a kitchen. A sparkly one. And it wasn't to be used so that it could stay sparkly forever.

Have they told you how you should go about getting your items tested?

Actually, what it says is "No Cookers or grills besides those fitted in the living accommodation." so as long as they are not beside the ones that are fitted (or on the floor) you should be alright. Try it in the far corner, that's not beside anything.

I wonder if the QM rep that wrote that crap out has had the toaster in his qtr PAT tested? Might be an idea to get on to DHE or whatever they are called this week and ask. Failing that, OC's interview. "Sir, WTF is going on? Why are we paying full whack for accommodation that we can't use to its true potential. How can we work with the QM's to fix this".

And then shove a spud up the QM's exhaust and poke it in with a stick as far as it will go.

Nottsalot

Swinger
Cheers Roadster will do.

This may seem like a petty thing to some with the funny comments but if they were to be on the receiving end I am sure it'd be different!

It's just getting a lot more bullsh**ty in the Army! No wonder the join up figures are struggling and people are leaving with no care in the world.... Yeah come join up shoot weapons, maintain vehicles, learn life support etc. oh.... But you can't use a toaster incase the block goes up in flames. And the rest of the crap along with the job!

Treated worse than prisoners! (Bet they can have toast)

Isn't this a sodexho money spinner

Captive audience, cut off their opportunities notto pay as they dine

Sucks the big dogs cock and smacks ofmletting the blokes down from the brass..

Likewise TV licence requirements

They've gotta let the c@nts on camp to hassle squaddies, why not tell them to poke it at main gate

You could always drive the SQMS insane. Get some candles (ideally from him!), and light them on issue plates, leaving them around the accommodation. Melted wax, dead matches etc. Get an electric fire or heater from a charity shop for a couple of quid, cut the plug off and leave it in the showers as a towel rail. He won't notice the missing plug and will throw a track. Only to look stupid when you point out the fact that it can't be plugged in and is a towel rail. Get a big bottle of Domestos and another one of Fairy Liquid. Leave them by the block washing machines (having briefed everyone not to use it in the machines). Buy some army accommodation stores from a surplus shop and smash them up, leaving the debris in a bin. Keep the receipt!

Depends on how much you want to burst his blood vessels really.

To be pedantic it does not refer to the HASAW act and does not attempt to say they must be tested by law.

It also says electrical items SHOULD not be used unless they are tested. When electrical items are new they have quality control information attached or enclosed - this tells you it has been tested (either specifically or as part of a QC regime.
The first step in any Portable Appliance Testing is visual inspection - you effectively do this or ignore this whenever you use it - if it's damaged don't turn it on
Note it does not specifically refer to PAT tests in the picture, it says electricals. These are different things. It it's not portable the PAT requirements don't apply, but electrical safety does.

Blame the fuckwits that have caused fires in barrack blocks and risked lives piling up shit around fire exits etc

Perhaps someone wrongly thinks the HASAW applies to residential accommodation (however there is other legislation that also covers landlord accommodation plus barrack blocks are accommodation provided to you did to your employment.
At minimum a duty of care does apply

So you have been told that electricals should not be used unless tested. Testing is due next week.
Have a look at your electricals, make a reasonable assessment of the condition, if it's decent continue to use it until the testing occurs. Then when it's passed continue to use it
Try to unplug it before setting off on deployment for 6 months

It's no conspiracy it's simple compliance. If the items haven't been tested an there's a fire, no compliance, no insurance payout.
They must be seen on paper to be be following insurance and safety regs.

It's no conspiracy it's simple compliance. If the items haven't been tested an there's a fire, no compliance, no insurance payout.
They must be seen on paper to be be following insurance and safety regs.

Absolute rubbish. Do stick to giving advice on what you know something about eh? Testing isn't a legal requirement.

Absolute rubbish. Do stick to giving advice on what you know something about eh? Testing isn't a legal requirement.
I do and I actually did the certification last year for my own places. I can pm the cert if you're still in doubt. I said nothing about legalities, I said compliance. So please have a tantrum at someone else.