Single Living Accom at Tidworth

estwist

Old-Salt
Can anyone speak on the Accom there for single men in RTR? Is it shared like 4 man rooms you see the Gren Guards have etc or is it the gucci en-suites that you see cropping up everywhere nowadays?

Engaged to get married in November 21, so hoping for single living but am aware of the realities of the older camps still having shared rooms.

Would be good to know so can prepare the missus for not seeing me as much as she would like,

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Can anyone speak on the Accom there for single men in RTR? Is it shared like 4 man rooms you see the Gren Guards have etc or is it the gucci en-suites that you see cropping up everywhere nowadays?

Engaged to get married in November 21, so hoping for single living but am aware of the realities of the older camps still having shared rooms.

Would be good to know so can prepare the missus for not seeing me as much as she would like,
Some years ago I had a friend who worked for the MOD on service accommodation. She told me the old Boer War accommodation I knew at Aliwal Barracks in the 70s (there's a picture in Mallinson's Light Dragoons of 15th — or was it 19th? — Hussars leaving for France in 1914 and I swear it hadn't been painted before we moved in) was gone.

I've also looked at Google Maps and simply cannot identify Aliwal as I clearly remember it.

As far as I'm aware, all the accomodation at Tidworth is Z-type. I think the oldest blocks on camp belong to the RRF; all the rest are cookie-cutter new builds.

Tidworth is part of the Allenby Connaught PFI

Their contract from 2006 covers 35 years, they are to manage the infrastructure and to hand it all back at the end of the contract fully up to standard.
One of the first actions was to fully rebuild or refurbish Tidworth - major investment spent upfront so that they get paid to run it at the new standard for as long as possible
There are also the Army Basing Programme (Come out of Germany) and DEO (Defence Estate Optimisation) with a high proportion of people going into the South (Access to Salisbury Plain)

Unless there is some tiny hidden element, you will be in Z type single rooms whilst in SLA

The Guards in 4 man rooms are accommodated below standard, they should be in single Z type.
However there is the combination of having to pay to convert or rebuild - the Treasury and Government finding the money, and the restrictions of both historic buildings and physical space affecting the practicality of fitting more rooms

There will be a mixed economy across the estate for some time with fully trained soldiers still in shared accommodation in parts of the estate vs those in the correct Z type single rooms

estwist

Old-Salt
Tidworth is part of the Allenby Connaught PFI

Their contract from 2006 covers 35 years, they are to manage the infrastructure and to hand it all back at the end of the contract fully up to standard.
One of the first actions was to fully rebuild or refurbish Tidworth - major investment spent upfront so that they get paid to run it at the new standard for as long as possible
There are also the Army Basing Programme (Come out of Germany) and DEO (Defence Estate Optimisation) with a high proportion of people going into the South (Access to Salisbury Plain)

Unless there is some tiny hidden element, you will be in Z type single rooms whilst in SLA

The Guards in 4 man rooms are accommodated below standard, they should be in single Z type.
However there is the combination of having to pay to convert or rebuild - the Treasury and Government finding the money, and the restrictions of both historic buildings and physical space affecting the practicality of fitting more rooms

There will be a mixed economy across the estate for some time with fully trained soldiers still in shared accommodation in parts of the estate vs those in the correct Z type single rooms
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

estwist

Old-Salt
Hoping for the Z Type, would rather my chums didnt all cop a feel of the missus when I was smashed drunk asleep haha!

demobbed

Swinger
Some years ago I had a friend who worked for the MOD on service accommodation. She told me the old Boer War accommodation I knew at Aliwal Barracks in the 70s (there's a picture in Mallinson's Light Dragoons of 15th — or was it 19th? — Hussars leaving for France in 1914 and I swear it hadn't been painted before we moved in) was gone.

I've also looked at Google Maps and simply cannot identify Aliwal as I clearly remember it.
I Think that Aliwal was the first one to be demolished and re-built in the very early 90's, it was certainly a very modern bks (by the standards of the day) when I was stationed in Bhurtpore later in the decade.

Assaye up to Lucknow were still the old bks but Mooltan had recently met with the bulldozers and was also re-built and was more or less finished when we left towards the end of '97 (the duty rumour was that we were supposed to take over Mooltan after our Bosnia tour in '96 but for what ever reason it never happened).

When we left Bhurtpore, as tradition dictates, we scrubbed it to within an inch of it's life. As you could well imagine this was seen by the lad's as a complete waste of time as we were under the impression that it to had come to the end of it's life, all our mech kit, equipment and vehicles had been back loaded to the Bn in Bulford and we were under the impression that there was no unit taking over the bks after us. I do know that it did survive for a few years more but I have no idea if it was ever occupied again before it met it's end.

I actually thought the accommodation in Bhurtpore was superb at the time with it's four man rooms with partitioned bed spaces when compared to the 10 man room I had just left behind at depot. A well placed itchy blanket at the door way combined with a TV and video gave the single lads a proper little wanking hole. Things improved ten fold after the move to Omagh when everybody got their own room in the block.

Latest Threads