Singapore Guidance

kc1982kc

Old-Salt
Looking for anyone with a quick bit of info on Singapore as im heading there on thursday, as an advance party 9 full days ahead of the rest was told to book a hotel and it will be booked for me just stuck for choice, obviously i,ll be doing various recces of the best bars around and some of the cheapest for when the young lads get across or there going to be bankrupt.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

D

Deleted 4886

What do you want- bars, hookers cheap(er) hotels, cheap food, cheap beer (Forget that one). A bit more detail and i can advise.

All you moon men, please take note
Its a bloody long time before your boat.
If you wish to remain pure and sweet
Stay away from Bugis Street.

Well it was good advice in '63.

CFB.

Rab_C

LE
I would recommend the Pan Pacific Hotel Orchard (even though not on Orchard). Just around the corner from the 4 floors, just as nice as any hotel actually on Orchard but not as costly.

YMCA, it's housed in the building that the Japanise Kempi occupied during WW2, it's cheap, has an on site swimming pool and the nosh is good as well.
It's a stones throw from Orchard Road, and the underground network, and that makes you sorted for most of what Singapore has to offer these days.

The Red Light district is still in operation, not that expensive and the girls are clean. Check Jurong 8 for the better brothels. If that's your cup of tea?

Don't miss Raffels Hotel and a Gin Sling or 3

Aside from that Singapore is simply an over large shopping centre, with all the best bits long gone, truly they got a bit carried away with modernising the place.

Oh and spare a bit of time for theCommonwealth War Graves out by the Racetrack, which you will need to catch a bus to visit.

+ 1 for YMCA.

SingaporeSid

Clanker
YMCA, it's housed in the building that the Japanise Kempi occupied during WW2, it's cheap, has an on site swimming pool and the nosh is good as well...

Aside from that Singapore is simply an over large shopping centre, with all the best bits long gone.

Strictly speaking, it's in a new building on the old site. There's a plaque a stone's throw away that tells you so, and why. If you do stay on Orchard, I'd advise getting the 7 bus to Dempsey Hill or, better but further on, Holland Village for a cracking night on the ale.

As for Raffles, personally I'd give the Long Bar an (over-rated and over-priced) miss and say the Fullerton is as historic (the colonnaded building housed the old Post Office) and a nicer, less tourist-trap, evening. If you're central, google Chimes for a nice place for a drink or two.

If you want slices of old Singapore, the Colbar on the Wessex Estate is worth a visit, as is Changi Village and the 'bum boat' to Ubin. Everywhere changes, but there are echoes to be had still of times of yore.

1. Boat Quay. 7pm. Harrys Bar for a pre dinner beer or two.

Walk across the toad to:

2. Boat Quay. 8pm. Dinner on the quayside. Try the Indian.

Walk down the road to:

2. Clarke Quay. 10pm Highlander Bar. Great band and easy women.

Catch a cab to:

3. Orchard Road. Midnight. The four floors of Whores in Orchard Towers.

Mr Happy

LE
I know this post is too late for the OP but for any other Singapore bound fellows, I've been in SG since 2010, there's a ex-forces association called Sandbag (find us on Facebook). All of the above posts are sound, except the Indian on the quay side of the last one, a little further down on the left there's one in a building and you can up and have a much better curry on their roof. 46 Boat Quay, called Our Village, only has a front door, everything else is upstairs.

SingaporeSid

Clanker
In the same vein as the post above, not the cheapest food court but definitely cheaper than restaurants, food from the four corners of the globe under one roof...

Lau Pa Sat

Just avoid weekday lunchtimes when it's rammed.

FredWest

War Hero
I know this post is too late for the OP but for any other Singapore bound fellows, I've been in SG since 2010, there's a ex-forces association called Sandbag (find us on Facebook). All of the above posts are sound, except the Indian on the quay side of the last one, a little further down on the left there's one in a building and you can up and have a much better curry on their roof. 46 Boat Quay, called Our Village, only has a front door, everything else is upstairs.
I'm over there for a few days in June visiting our AP Sales Office.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Latest Threads