Singapore and Hong Kong(what to see/do)

Bosscat

War Hero
In March I have 3 days/nights in Singapore and 2 days/nights in Hong Kong, any suggestions of what to see/do in these places would be gratefully received TIA.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Go read TripAdvisor, you'll get some good ideas from that.

Singapore. Not that big and three days is a good amount of time to explore.

1. Marina Sands bay area. Awesome at night with light/laser show; Tourist boats up the bay and the river along the various Quays with great eateries and bars. Go up the top of the Marina Bay Hotel, or go up 1-Altitude which is taller and opposite for great views. Walk down by the MerLion, pop across to the Fulton hotel for afternoon tea.

2. Raffles. Will not be what you expect, largely underwhelming but a "tick" and will set you back about £12 a drink,

3. Hawker stalls. Go try proper street food, don't be put off by the dingy appearance. Great tastes and ridiculously cheap.

4. Michelin Starred street food: There are now two starred stalls. Google them, I tried the original it was fantastic, ate there twice in once night!

5. Gardens By the Bay - For me best done at dusk/sunset - explore the huge biospheres and SuperGrove trees created behind the Marina Bay Hotel. Worth a few hours exploring.

6. Indian Area. As per below, not just food, amazing architecture, people, sights, & food!

7. Chinatown.

8. The Botanical gardens. I really enjoyed a mince around here with camera and then a pair of hours sitting reading a book.

9. Chinese Garden, a park in Jurong East. beautiful and deffo worth a visit.

10. Sentosa Island and the theme park is that sort of thing floats your boat. Vivocity a big mall is there too. But Bugis is where you want to go for "cheap" goods.

11. Orchard road for shopping is interesting, at night a little more so. Matelots will know the 7 floors of.....

I have only had a few trips there and only around 2-3 days, all of this and more is possible.

Taxis aren't too expensive, the underground is awesome. Its amazingly safe and friendly, don't worry about wandering about in the eve/night.

Hong Kong

1. Victoria Peak at sunset (yes, I like photography and it kind of dominates my travel). And icw the Peak tram.

2. Lantau Island and its huge golden Buddha. Saw it as a Lt when I was in HK serving (an immigration camp was on the Island) and had to go back.

3. Nathan Road for shopping, esp. at night.

4. Get out on a junk boat - really, touristy as you like but you get breathtaking views.

5. Google for skyline bars, they pop up all over. Won't be cheap but how often do you go to HK?

6. Make a wish at Man Mo temple!

7. I always liked Aberdeen market as a proper locals place.

Google is your friend.

Edit:: Expect insane humidity, drink lots of water, you will be amazed by the humidity levels.

Last edited:

Bosscat

War Hero

1. Marina Sands bay area. Awesome at night with light/laser show; Tourist boats up the bay and the river along the various Quays with great eateries and bars. Go up the top of the Marina Bay Hotel, or go up 1-Altitude which is taller and opposite for great views. Walk down by the MerLion, pop across to the Fulton hotel for afternoon tea.

2. Raffles. Will not be what you expect, largely underwhelming but a "tick" and will set you back about £12 a drink,

3. Hawker stalls. Go try proper street food, don't be put off by the dingy appearance. Great tastes and ridiculously cheap.

4. Michelin Starred street food: There are now two starred stalls. Google them, I tried the original it was fantastic, ate there twice in once night!

5. Gardens By the Bay - For me best done at dusk/sunset - explore the huge biospheres and SuperGrove trees created behind the Marina Bay Hotel. Worth a few hours exploring.

6. Indian Area. As per below, not just food, amazing architecture, people, sights, & food!

7. Chinatown.

8. The Botanical gardens. I really enjoyed a mince around here with camera and then a pair of hours sitting reading a book.

10. Sentosa Island and the theme park is that sort of thing floats your boat. Vivocity a big mall is there too. But Bugis is where you want to go for "cheap" goods.

11. Orchard road for shopping is interesting, at night a little more so. Matelots will know the 7 floors of.....

I have only had a few trips there and only around 2-3 days, all of this and more is possible.

Taxis aren't too expensive, the underground is awesome. Its amazingly safe and friendly, don't worry about wandering about in the eve/night.

Hong Kong

1. Victoria Peak at sunset (yes, I like photography and it kind of dominates my travel). And icw the Peak tram.

2. Lantau Island and its huge golden Buddha. Saw it as a Lt when I was in HK serving (an immigration camp was on the Island) and had to go back.

4. Get out on a junk boat - really, touristy as you like but you get breathtaking views.

5. Google for skyline bars, they pop up all over. Won't be cheap but how often do you go to HK?

6. Make a wish an Man Mo temple!

Google is your friend.
Excellent post thank you very much, unfortunately I am unable to give you an 'informative' and a 'Like' now I have got something to get my teeth into Googlewise, cheers once again.

Wightsparker

War Hero
A2_Matelot has provided a pretty comprehensive list. For Singapore, I would add a couple of possibilities.
Firstly, as in many big cities, it can be worth taking a tourist bus ride to get a feel of the place; they last about an hour and a half (open-top double-deckers) and you can get on and off at lots of stops.
Secondly, Pulau Ubin is an island just off the north-east coast of Singapore Island itself. You get to it by bumboat from Changi. Unlike the majority of Singapore, Pulau Ubin is largely rural and gives an idea of what Singapore used to be like. There is a small village with eating houses/bars, and you can hire a bike to get around a network of tracks.
Thirdly, if you are in Changi, it is worth remembering that the prison there was used during WW2 to house POWs. There is a small museum; it left a significant impression on me.
Finally, if like me you are lacking in hair on the top of your head - don't forget a sun-hat!

Edit:: Expect insane humidity, drink lots of water, you will be amazed by the humidity levels.
Hong Kong in March won't be humid, although Sing will.

@Bosscat

Depends on how long you are here in HK for but 2 days/nights isn't much, even though HK is quite small. You certainly wouldn't get all of @A2_Matelot's list done in that time.

I would leave out Lantau and the Buddah. Its a Buddah...its big. That's about it. Great views of the airport, if you like planes, but otherwise overpriced tourist village on top of a hill. If you do anything on Lantau do Tai O village but that would still take half your day and only really worth it for serious dried-fish enthusiasts. Don't get me wrong, I love Lantau - I live there - there are some great beaches and hikes and it is a different world to HK island and Kowloon but not, probably, what you are coming to see.

The Peak is a must. Great views on the, increasingly rare, days when the pollution doesn't obscure the view. It has a Bubba Gump restaurant - what more could you want?

For a great night time view head to the Ozone Bar at the Ritz Carlton in ICC. 120 floors up and spectacular at night. That is on the Kowloon side so you could combine it with a trek to the night markets so that you can stock up on Rolexes.

For great, authentic, HK food take yourself along to Tim Ho Wan (添好運). The cheapest Michelin starred restaurant that you will ever go to. I tend to go to the one in HK station basement level. The view is shit but the food more than makes up for it. Be prepared to queue though - avoid the lunch time rush if you can. If you like spicy food then go for dinner at Sichuan Da Ping Ho in Central SiChuan Da Ping Huo (Central)
They do a, reasonably priced, set menu in the evening and will adjust the spice levels if too much. From there it is a hop skip and a jump down to Lan Kwai Fong or up the hill to Soho for a couple of cleansing ales.

If your missus is coming then I would suggest a trip down to Stanley, on the South side of HK island,so that she can have a nose around the market. It is de rigeur for female tourists so get it out of the way whilst you can. happily there are a couple of decent pubs a stone's throw from there where you can sup a pint and watch the waves.

If she isn't coming then I will take you to Neptune 3 instead :D

Chop

Swinger
the newly revamped battle box is worth a visit, at fort canning. (percival's command bunker)
Old Ford Factory museuem too.
and CWGC at KRanji,..

on non military theme, much has already been covered.

HK: if into trail running...its AMAZING!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

7. Chinatown.

Hong Kong

6. Make a wish at Man Mo temple!

Google is your friend.

Seconded with the addition of a visit to Kranji. All the POWs are buried there along with those killed in action, in ships and in the general Japanese nastiness. A thought provoking place.

A2_Matelot has provided a pretty comprehensive list.
Thirdly, if you are in Changi, it is worth remembering that the prison there was used during WW2 to house POWs. There is a small museum; it left a significant impression on me.
My wife was born there (father was Navy) and we've been a few times, have a friend there Ex Marine diver. Changi prison hasn't much of the original left but the museum is memorable. SG is very small so they build up and tunnel. The tunnels (associated with the subway) are a great way to get around away from the heat & humidity, plenty of shops & eateries as well. Travel on the subway is cheap, get a tourist ticket for 2/3/4 days and you can go as far as you like as many trips as you like and buses are included. Taxis are plentiful and not expensive. Everyone eats out and there is a HUGE range of eateries from cheap to very expensive. We weren't keen on Sentosa island until we visited expecting a mini Disney. However it was much nicer than that and there are some impressive views.
You missed independence celebrations and the practices beforehand, they really go to town. However if there is any sort of celebration on they'll do fireworks in the harbour so get yourself a table at Level 33. Its (strangely) on the 33rd floor of a building overlooking the harbour and has its own microbrewery. Great views!
We're booked to visit again end of Nov.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Some good additional responses I'm back in Singers soon, will have to look at Changi and the war aspects as I've never really considered that before.

Depends on how long you are here in HK for but 2 days/nights isn't much, even though HK is quite small. You certainly wouldn't get all of @A2_Matelot's list done in that time.
I did (except the junk - £), dragging a very unimpressed 14 year old on what was an insane route march through HK!! I have to admit we didn't stop to admire much and it was largely all down to just grabbing images and really a recce for a much longer trip. I like your suggestions, noted for when I pass through early next year!

Hong Kong.......take a cab ride over the hill to an old fishing village called Sheko (aka "Shek O"). There's a nice beach, great small local restaurants and it's about as different to the rest of HK as it's possible to get. There's another great beach very close by called Big Wave Bay, also worth a visit but without the same village vibe.

If I find myself in HK on a stop-over, I always head to Sheko for dinner.

Bosscat

War Hero
Hong Kong in March won't be humid, although Sing will.

@Bosscat

I would leave out Lantau and the Buddah. Its a Buddah...its big. That's about it. Great views of the airport, if you like planes, but otherwise overpriced tourist village on top of a hill. If you do anything on Lantau do Tai O village but that would still take half your day and only really worth it for serious dried-fish enthusiasts. Don't get me wrong, I love Lantau - I live there - there are some great beaches and hikes and it is a different world to HK island and Kowloon but not, probably, what you are coming to see.

The Peak is a must. Great views on the, increasingly rare, days when the pollution doesn't obscure the view. It has a Bubba Gump restaurant - what more could you want?

For a great night time view head to the Ozone Bar at the Ritz Carlton in ICC. 120 floors up and spectacular at night. That is on the Kowloon side so you could combine it with a trek to the night markets so that you can stock up on Rolexes.

For great, authentic, HK food take yourself along to Tim Ho Wan (添好運). The cheapest Michelin starred restaurant that you will ever go to. I tend to go to the one in HK station basement level. The view is shit but the food more than makes up for it. Be prepared to queue though - avoid the lunch time rush if you can. If you like spicy food then go for dinner at Sichuan Da Ping Ho in Central SiChuan Da Ping Huo (Central)
They do a, reasonably priced, set menu in the evening and will adjust the spice levels if too much. From there it is a hop skip and a jump down to Lan Kwai Fong or up the hill to Soho for a couple of cleansing ales.

If your missus is coming then I would suggest a trip down to Stanley, on the South side of HK island,so that she can have a nose around the market. It is de rigeur for female tourists so get it out of the way whilst you can. happily there are a couple of decent pubs a stone's throw from there where you can sup a pint and watch the waves.

If she isn't coming then I will take you to Neptune 3 instead :D
Ha Ha yeah my Mrs is going, many thanks for the info much appreciated, We are actually going on a cruise to Vietnam from Singapore, hence only being there and Hong Kong for a few days, it might be a Recce for a longer trip in the near future.

Are SING and HK good for checking out as single tourist? I may have another trip to OZ coming up and am thinking of taking a break in between in those two places on the way there and back. I have to take a connecting flight in one of those two anyways. Something like LON -> SIN (break) -> SYD -> HKG (break) -> LON

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Are SING and HK good for checking out as single tourist? I may have another trip to OZ coming up and am thinking of taking a break in between in those two places on the way there and back. I have to take a connecting flight in one of those two anyways. Something like LON -> SIN (break) -> SYD -> HKG (break) -> LON
I stayed in Singapore on my own en route to Perth on 2009. It was safe, interesting and rather lovely.

Go for it.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Most definitely, although I do hit Singers for work once every 9 months, I try and tack Singers/HK onto all trips to Oz. I've enjoyed my solo wanderings (and no not just up Orchard Road)

Latest Threads