• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Sing Their Souls Back Home - Billy Bragg

#1
Just watched Billy Bragg on the Andrew Marr Show, singing his latest song live on the prog. The lyrics are obviously about the lack of empathy or interest from the great British Public for the guys and girls fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Can any techies find a link?

Well done Billy.
 
#2
I'd hope he would want to bring more than just their 'souls' back home...... and if it was Billy he was probably on about pulling everyone out and leaving them to it.
 
#4
Plant-Pilot said:
I'd hope he would want to bring more than just their 'souls' back home...... and if it was Billy he was probably on about pulling everyone out and leaving them to it.
Mmmm, Thanks for the link HJ. Having re visited the song, its clearly a "Bring em" home anthem. Sentiments I don't necessarily disagree with, certainly in relation to Iraq.
 
#5
Jimmy_Kranke said:
Mmmm, Thanks for the link HJ. Having re visited the song, its clearly a "Bring em" home anthem. Sentiments I don't necessarily disagree with, certainly in relation to Iraq.
Could have guessed as much.... and I didn't even see the lyrics
 
#6
The man remains a pointless champagne socialist. Seeing 'social justice' in anything that undermines the UK. He's a throwback to wnaky '80s broad left failure politics. I am suprised that he is on the TV at all and that anyone takes him seriously.
 
#7
Suddick said:
The man remains a pointless champagne socialist. Seeing 'social justice' in anything that undermines the UK. He's a throwback to wnaky '80s broad left failure politics
Agreed his politics have been bleeding heart, but look at his contemporaries who decided to become more mainstream, many of them then ended up as ministers, and what a cracking job they've done!!! Its a song ffs, not an attempt to overthrow HMG.

I suspect like everyone else of his generation, his view on life will have changed considerably over the years. His take on being English as an example.
 
#8
Billy Bragg has moved way in to the centre and is now more "green" than "red". He has even given up arrse fancying and has joined the majority tendency...
 
#10
Don't knock him - unlike many of our political masters, Tpr Bragg knows what its like to have been in the ranks and while I may not always agree with his politics, he get's a general nod of approval for that as far as I'm concerned...
 
#11
Adjutant said:
Don't knock him - unlike many of our political masters, Tpr Bragg knows what its like to have been in the ranks and while I may not always agree with his politics, he get's a general nod of approval for that as far as I'm concerned...
He PVR'd after 3 months ffs, hardly qualifies him as a squaddie :roll: ....not to me anyway, cracking love songs, but champagne socialist politics, man of the people in a big mansion in Devon, just like all the lefties end up
 
#12
Adjutant said:
Don't knock him - unlike many of our political masters, Tpr Bragg knows what its like to have been in the ranks and while I may not always agree with his politics, he get's a general nod of approval for that as far as I'm concerned...
On the basis of the considerable time spent in prior to buying himself out before he'd even completed training I presume....
 
#13
Adjutant said:
Don't knock him - unlike many of our political masters, Tpr Bragg knows what its like to have been in the ranks and while I may not always agree with his politics, he get's a general nod of approval for that as far as I'm concerned...
Except he bought himself out when the going got tough. The man couldn't give a toss about soldiers. The army is just the stick of the moment with which to beat the government, it's fashionable, nothing more. The man is not even original.
 
#14
The_Terrible_Twins said:
Adjutant said:
Don't knock him - unlike many of our political masters, Tpr Bragg knows what its like to have been in the ranks and while I may not always agree with his politics, he get's a general nod of approval for that as far as I'm concerned...
He PVR'd after 3 months ffs, hardly qualifies him as a squaddie :roll: ....not to me anyway, cracking love songs, but champagne socialist politics, man of the people in a big mansion in Devon, just like all the lefties end up
You could PVR after three months? :omfg: :omfg: :omfg:

They should have told the AAC - there were a few Air Troopers over the years who would have got out soooooo much sooner. WE were told that after three months we had to do a three year term
 
#15
Sven said:
The_Terrible_Twins said:
Adjutant said:
Don't knock him - unlike many of our political masters, Tpr Bragg knows what its like to have been in the ranks and while I may not always agree with his politics, he get's a general nod of approval for that as far as I'm concerned...
He PVR'd after 3 months ffs, hardly qualifies him as a squaddie :roll: ....not to me anyway, cracking love songs, but champagne socialist politics, man of the people in a big mansion in Devon, just like all the lefties end up
You could PVR after three months? :omfg: :omfg: :omfg:

They should have told the AAC - there were a few Air Troopers over the years who would have got out soooooo much sooner. WE were told that after three months we had to do a three year term
Could be wrong about that but he most definitley PVR'd before he passed out .....hence not a squaddie.
 
#16
Awol said:
Adjutant said:
Don't knock him - unlike many of our political masters, Tpr Bragg knows what its like to have been in the ranks and while I may not always agree with his politics, he get's a general nod of approval for that as far as I'm concerned...

Except he bought himself out when the going got tough.
The man couldn't give a toss about soldiers. The army is just the stick of the moment with which to beat the government, it's fashionable, nothing more. The man is not even original.
He gave it a go, and took the 'get out' option, when he recognised it really wasn't for him.

Hands down, that beats all the current generation of LieBar politicians, and probably most of their tory opponents.

It's not as if his country was up against the Nazis at the time. Thatcher's 3 million strong army of unemployed was (IIRC) what Mr Bragg saw himself facing in the early '80s.

By her standards, he's done pretty well since, I'd say.
 
#17
Hmmm...a quick Wikipedia search shows that billy had enlisted into the QRIH in 1981. Was that even then a bid to avoid service in NI? Apparently the joke at the time for any Irish regiment was "Ndlovu...SAH! Dostoevkski...SAH! Du Bois...SAH! first Battalion the Royal Irish Rangers present and correct, sah!"

I still enjoy his music and on the talking head shows he seems very sensible. Ripped the bejasus out of Alaistair Darling on Question Time a few weeks back by a)talking about sound logistics based policies rather than dogma and air-fairy and b)refusing to be condescended to by AD. Good effort.
 
#18
I think it's best to separate his perceived personality from his talent as a songwriter.

In poetic/lyricist terms, Bragg is up there with John Cooper Clarke and Leonard Cohen

As far as his service record goes, as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't really have one. That doesn't reduce his ability as a very talented lyricist in my eyes, any more than his being one of the more abnoxious champagne socialist throwbacks from the 80's.

Ps, for those who have never heard of John Cooper Clark, here's an example:
action man

give him scars and khaki to wear
remove his balls, he'll go anywhere
he doesn't speak, he doesn't dare
death sneaks, he isn't scared
minus balls, he doesn't care
jacks beware, action man.

he can ack-ack Ackrington, bomb Berlin
reduce your car to a heap of tin
wage war, what's more - win
punctured skin means nothing to him
the human grenade minus pin
that's him, action man

a chin with a thin Kirk Douglas cleft
squad by the bleeding left
don't shout he's deaf
head over heels in love with death
beware of the wrath of the man bereft
no marriage plans for action man
 
#19
pyrogenica said:
I think it's best to separate his perceived personality from his talent as a songwriter.

In poetic/lyricist terms, Bragg is up there with John Cooper Clarke and Leonard Cohen

As far as his service record goes, as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't really have one. That doesn't reduce his ability as a very talented lyricist in my eyes, any more than his being one of the more abnoxious champagne socialist throwbacks from the 80's.

Excellantly put pyro ....my thoughts exactly except I'd have said more Paul Weller than John Cooper Clarke
 
#20
Yep, you're right! Paul Weller certainly deserves to be there
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top