Since the Second World War what operations has the TA been

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Cardinal, Feb 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. involved in?

I understand there was some TA involvement in Korea and Kenya on a small scale, the majority of the work being done by national servicemen and regulars.

The 6thBn Queens Royal Surrey Regiment took part in operations in Aden in support of another Regiment rather than the regular Bn which was stationed there at the time.

I dont know any details but I heard a Scottish TA Inf Bn was doing camp in Cyprus at the time of the Turkish invasion and had to do its part in defending the SBA.

During the Falklands some members of the AMS, 131 Cdo RE and 289 Cdo RA, the RMR and 21/23 SAS were absorbed into regular units on short S type engagements. But the numbers were low.

Then there was the first Gulf War followed by Bosnia and Kosovo and the obviously operations in Iraq since 2003 and Afghanistan.

What other contributions has the TA made to post 1945 operations?

2. Suez: 20,000

The Scottish Bn on Cyprus in 1974 were 1/51 Highland
  3. thought the TA wasn't formed till about 1967.

and surely during Suez it was still National Service, which wasn't abolished till about 59-60...
  4. sorry to dissapoint you but no-one from 289 Cdo Bty went to the Falklands. I was with them at that time and we were all ready, our kit was made ready for sea - we had 6 guns with full crews, full HQ, FO and NGS parties. Our kit went South - we didn't. They didn't even ask for volunteers for S Types as Maggie had said no civvies (meaning TA).

(At that time there were riots in London and we broke up one at manor Park just by turning up - we were going to Thetford on a FTX but the rioters didn't know that - the old Bill were nearly crying cheering us on!)

The resulting fallout was that the battery lost about a quarter of its men who jacked it in as they thought there was no point carrying on if they weren't going to be used.
  5. 1. Actually the post-war TA, by that time redesignated as TAVR 3, was disbanded in 1967. (The full story is more complicated than that, natch!)

2. Many reservists were called up for Suez, and due to the short duration of the operation many ended up kicking their heels in Cyprus or Germany.
  6. Problem??

7. Nope, the TA formed TAVR 1-3 (and TAVR 4, or the OTC (etc.) got incorporated into TAVR at that point).

We've since done away with the TAVR 3 level and:

TAVR 1 = HRR (which back in the day meant stay behind OPs for the IGB)
    TAVR 2 = Most of the TA these days (and about the same size as the old TAVR 2)
    TAVR 4 = Cat B TA (UOTC etc.)

TAVR 3 were TA units comprised mainly of people who'd completed National Service and were obliged to spend another (?) years with the colours in the TA afterwards (but weren't required to turn up), and were so hollow it was laughable.
  8. I did say the full story was more complicated! Amongst the infantry battalions, TAVR 3 were the direct successors of the postwar TA but only attended one Annual Camp (1967) and were disbanded or cadreised in 1969. The post National Service obligation to serve in the TA had long since run out by this time. TAVR 2 were new battalions and until 1982 were known as Volunteers rather than Territorials, until the Territorial Army title was reintroduced in 1982. Fascinating!
  9. that will be why next year is TA 100. 2008 - 100 = ?
  10. Just to clarify for those who have only ever known the Territorials as the TA, the correct abbreviation for the Territorials between 1966 and 1982 was T&AVR (Territorial and Army Volunteer Reserve - a merger of the Territorial Army and the Army Volunteer Reserve i.e ex-Regulars with a Reserve commitment).

The "&" was frequently dropped (how do you pronounce "&" in an acronym?), thus TAVR does NOT stand for Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve. Until fairly recently, the TA was not considered a reserve army, but an army in its own right, mobilised on the Queen's order.

IIRC, this meant that either all the TA was mobilised, or none. The Falkland Conflict brought home the desire to mobilise units or individuals, rather than the entire TA (perhaps explaining why 289 Cdo Bty didn't embark or why my unit at the time weren't deployed), leading to a change in the law.

Perhaps someone can confirm.
  11. Technically, the TA was disbanded in 1966, but reintroduced in 1982, though the T&AVR covered the intervening period. Depending on how you view the matter, the TA is either 99 years old, 41 years old or 25 years old. As individual units remained in service through all the changes (though perhaps being re-badged), I'd go along with 99 years.

The TA was a separate entity to National Service, by the way.
  12. As an aside, if you were in the TA, would you still be called up for your National Service?
  13. You could be, if you joined the TA very young. The more likely scenario would be joining the TA after NS.

From Wiki:
  14. Thanks for the information,Puttees. :thumright:
  15. Sounds reassuring, but I don't see how that can be quite right. Where were the post Cold War TA cuts found, if not from TAVR 2 type units? Disbandment of the Home Service Force would only account for 5000.

Thanks to puttees for his info.