Simple Nepali Phrases

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Hoping someone on this forum can help, please.

I come into regular contact with a couple of Nepali ladies, whose husbands are serving Ghurkas. They like to practise their English, and I'm happy to help them with that.

However, I'd really like to learn some simple phrases, such as 'Hello', 'Goodbye', 'Please' and 'Thank you'.

If anyone here can oblige (spelling not a problem, but pronunciation would be appreciated), I'd be grateful and feel I'm adding my little bit to international relations.

Thanks

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
G-R, if you search back through this forum, you'll see somewhere a similar query to yours.

I recall some useful stuff, including links and the like.

I see you've moved!

Regards,

PB

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Petriburg said:
G-R, if you search back through this forum, you'll see somewhere a similar query to yours.

I recall some useful stuff, including links and the like.

I see you've moved!

Regards,

PB
I'll do that PB, thank you.

Well, I sold my house so quickly, I thought I'd better get out of town so I'm renting in the sunny south.

You see some nice whirly-birds from here - takes me back to my childhood days.

scruff_1 said:
Nameste - A greeting, thats the only one I know.
Namaskar - the more respectful version of this greeting.

Topaya Kostosa (How are you, said after the greeting) (not sure of the spelling)

Ram Ram (good)

Aram Garnoose (Take a break)

Thats all I remember

Namaste, merro nam (your name here) Ho.

Hello, my name is .....

Lonely planet publish a very good little phrase book, if you are interested.

Nepalis rarely ever say "thank you" - it's Danyebadh, but if you go round saying that all the time, they think it's rather odd. In their culture, it's automatically assumed you are grateful for something done. That's the kind of wonderful people they are.

spelling - pronunciation - meaning

Namaste - Na Mast Eh - Hello, Greetings
Namaskar - Na Mask Car - The more respectful version of Namaste
Thik Cha - tik cha - I am fine
Maaph garnuhos - Maff Garnoohoss - Excuse me, sorry
Maile bhujhina - Male boo jeena - I don’t understand
Maile bhujhe - Male boo jee - I understand
Pheri bhetaunla - ferry bet on la - I hope we meet again
Ramro - Ram Row - Good
Naramro - Na Ram Row - Bad

hope this helps

MittMayo said:
Topaya Kostosa (How are you, said after the greeting) (not sure of the spelling)

Ram Ram (good)

Aram Garnoose (Take a break)

Thats all I remember
You barely speak English!!!!

Grownup_Rafbrat,

I have the pleasure & privilege of living in a Village where there is a growing Gurkha/Nepali family presence. So much so the Ladies of that Community of Nepalese women have signed up to a new course aimed at helping them integrate into British society, hundreds of them. A little further away in Folkestone there is Shorncliffe Barracks, Home of 1 RGR & there is a large community there. There is even a Council Member who is a retired Nepalese Gurkha Councillor .

I think you may find all the information & Help, you may need in the below link :

HUNDREDS of Nepalese women have signed up to a new course aimed at helping them integrate into British society.