Simple Minded General stirs internet mutiny in the Ranks.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Oct 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Rather a good piece. Simple minded General? I think Dannett has taken the huge chance to get his point across, stepping away from the political role the CGS has been forced to play by BLair and his mob and has taken the apolitical stance that should be his rightful position.

The fact he has had to play Bliar at this own game and use the press to ram this point down the politicos throats I find deeply satisfying.

The article says he is now unsackable - I can only hope. Saying that Tony has never been that good at getting rid of people. Aldulterers (multiple) fraudsters, little bits of simple thuggery and general sleaze don't appear to be enough to get yourself sacked from his cabinet.

Why should CGS stating a truth be any different? :(

2. Er... because he's telling the truth?

3. I think Bliar should be very scared that he may have a military coup on his hands if he does try to sack the CGS , who has more support recently, Bliar or CGS , Sorry Tony you come a poor second

4. It would just hit Morale and knock it lower.

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Exactly my point

6. Awful headline – excellent article.

This part, especially, strikes a cord with me:

He broke the “omerta” under which British officers have laboured ever since Bush trapped Blair at Crawford back in April 2002. They have had to fight a proxy war for the Pentagon over which they had no control or even influence. They have seen their hearts-and-minds work in the south ruined by the ineptitude of US troops and officials in the north. Policy had been ruled by America’s political timetable, the next event being the congressional election on November 7.

7. Paddy Ashdown has just been interviewed saying he was against CGS speaking out in the way he did.

However, he puts it down to a new mans mistake and as such shouldn't be sacked or asked to resign