Simon's Heroes

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by MightyGem, Apr 3, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tales of daring do from John Greenhalgh(I can call him John cos I'm a civvy) last night on "Simon's Heros" (BBC).
    All good stuff and a job well done.

Just a shame he couldn't put his beret on properly for the interview.
  2. Sorry I did not see it.
    Was he talking about himself again?
    'Me, me, me, me...'
  3. So was he in the Falklands?  Its funny because I've met him loads of times and he never mentioned it......

4. STAB seeks enlightenment.

Saw the programme. Was a bit surprised when the AAC pilot described how, when he attacked an Argentine arty battery, he first destroyed the guns, then the ammo, then the command post.

Wouldn't he have been better off destroying the ammo first?    Was there some special reason for going after the guns first?
  5. Pork Pie,if someone was shooting at you or your mate would you shoot him fist or shoot the box of ammo 10 feet to the right of him?

I know you could say if he had no ammo reserves he would stop shortly but how mwny others would get the good news first.

As for the CP last,well psychological warfare works too.

Imagine how they felt being told "The guns have gone.......... Now the ammos gone too........OH SHI......."
  6. OB,

thanks for the reply. I appreciate your point, but what if the helicopter(s)  had been shot down or driven away shortly after the attack had started?

If they'd destroyed the ammo first, then even if they were shot down, the arty would stop firing soon after. However, if they were shot down after destroying 1 or 2 guns, then the barrage would have continued, albeit at a lower intensity.

And what effect would the destruction of the ammo have had upon the Argentine gunners? These were cold, hungry, poorly motivated and badly led conscripts. Would the ammo have been stored at an appropriate distance, or would they have tried, in their tired state, to make life easy by keeping it a little bit closer than they should have? Even if none of them were killed or injured when the ammo was destroyed, wouldn't a fireworks display like that make them think twice about carrying on with their job? It certainly would have stunned them and caused their to stop firing (at least temporarily), during which time the helicopters could have got on with destroying the guns.

Just a thought......
  7. Fair point but six of one and half a dozen of the other really,ammo or guns,both useless without the other.
  8. Duty rumour has it that the ammo shot was, to put it mildly, lucky!  Mind you could be just sour grapes...
  9. Bob

As there was no way of knowing where the missile was going to land, every shot was potluck. Most crews drew a cross on the windscreen with chinograph to assist but generally, it was fire and hope for the best…

10. Er, Bob. The missiles were guided, so it was known where they were going to land, or hit that is.

You're thinking of the rocket pods that were strapped onto the Gazelles. They did use a chinagraph cross and hope for the best.
  11. I was about to ask whether they were missiles or rockets. Was slightly concerned about the image of our helicoptors (in the Falklands' era) responding to a Warsaw Pact invasion by firing missiles that could have gone anywhere. Thanks for clarifying things, MG.

BTW, does this cross on a bit of windscreen business always work? I'm hoping to improve my shooting, was wondering whether I should stick a little bit of helicoptor windscreen, suitably marked, on the end of my SA-80?

Any advice gratefully received...
  12. Is that likely to make the SA 80 any better? Worth a try I suppose
  13. Is this the same Greenhalgh who was once a gunner?  Might have had a lecture from him about how good the Air Corps is, recently.
  14. Errrr..negative on that one. This Greenhalgh is ex Rickshaws Cabs and Taxis. ::)
  15. Bob,
      Knew the Air gunner who was at that engagement at Wireless Ridge and a top bloke too, now working the North Sea with 10 Regt AAC.   The missile used was the SS11 that is wire guided and of a French (spit) design.   An accepted hit rate of 66%, this guy hit everything he aimed at including a practice missile from the back of a ship on the way down ("I aimed at the sea and that is what I hit!").   It was guided by MACLOS meaning that whilst with the right hand you guide the missile, with the left hand you have to maintain the sight on the target.   Effectively rubbing your head and patting your stomach.   I will wager there are not many left still serving who have fired the incredible burning dustbin spewing out tramps and fish heads all the way to the target.   The best bit was the guidance flares that departed company with the missile upon launch and ignited OTA...directly beneath you!   Then we got TOW.   Still had to collect the bloody wires.   I am sure there will be something we have to collect with the new ones as well.