Simon Mann sentenced: 34 years

Former British soldier Simon Mann has been sentenced to 34 years and four months in jail by an Equatorial Guinea court for his role in a 2004 coup plot.

The verdict followed Mann's trial in the capital Malabo last month in which he admitted conspiring to oust President Teodoro Obiang Nguema.

During the trial, prosecutors had asked for about 31 years in prison - but in the end a three-judge panel gave him an even longer sentence.

Mann's lawyer had asked for leniency, saying his client was a pawn of powerful international businessmen and saying he had been "not a co-author" of the coup plot but "an accomplice".

President Nguema has not ruled out the possibility of Mann serving part of his sentence in a British jail, the BBC's West Africa correspondent Will Ross.

He adds that Mann's best hope of freedom is a presidential pardon.
BBC News

OK. We'll have to rescue him in true 'Wild Geese' fashion.

I want to be Richard Burton - alcoholic old wreck with a heart of gold who'd do anything for his men (except THAT before MDN asks)

We can reinstate Sven and he can be the medical orderly with an unhealthy and, at the time, illegal interest in other men's buttocks

The following positions are still available:-

Crusty old salt of the earth Sergeant Major who prunes roses in retirement while dreaming of murdering black people

Roger Moore - needs to be somebody so damned good looking that they turn straight men gay. Who on Arrse could fit the bill?

Richard Harris - lives alone with a young boy. Sadly, Sven's already cast as the poofy medic.

Barry Foster - Slimy Civil Servant IIRC. Must have own sheepskin jacket and curly perm.

Ancient_Mariner said:
Roger Moore - needs to be somebody so damned good looking that they turn straight men gay. Who on Arrse could fit the bill?
Also needs to be able to do eyebrow acting...

Ancient_Mariner said:

I want to be Richard Burton - alcoholic old wreck with a heart of gold who'd do anything for his men (except THAT before MDN asks)

We can reinstate Sven and he can be the medical orderly with an unhealthy and, at the time, illegal interest in other men's buttocks

Crusty old salt of the earth Sergeant Major who prunes roses in retirement while dreaming of murdering black people

Richard Harris - lives alone with a young boy. Sadly, Sven's already cast as the poofy medic.

Barry Foster - Slimy Civil Servant IIRC. Must have own sheepskin jacket and curly perm.

I will be Roger, because i am a dashing chap for the ladies

Ancient_Mariner said:

One seems to have overlooked tosh :x

Just for arguments sake, how would it work?
17 years in Malabo and 17 years in Belmarsh?
Do we have this kind of reciprocal agreement between Britain and an ecomomic basket case like Equitorial Guinea?

Also, am I the only one who has a tad of sympathy for the bloke? isn't this kind of 'Derring do' eccentricity, TE Lawrence, Ranolph Fiennes, Scott of the Antarctic stuff that separates us from european bedwetters?

I know, he knew the score and is paying the price for getting caught (the number one crime), but doesn't he rank higher than footballers, most polititians, chavs and Big Brother non-entities?

Howler said:
Just for arguments sake, how would it work?
17 years in Malabo and 17 years in Belmarsh?
Do we have this kind of reciprocal agreement between Britain and an ecomomic basket case like Equitorial Guinea?

Also, am I the only one who has a tad of sympathy for the bloke? isn't this kind of 'Derring do' eccentricity, TE Lawrence, Ranolph Fiennes, Scott of the Antarctic stuff that separates us from european bedwetters?

I know, he knew the score and is paying the price for getting caught (the number one crime), but doesn't he rank higher than footballers, most polititians, chavs and Big Brother non-entities?
the only way he is going to be freed , is some back door deals and lots of cash changing hands.

And how is Mark Thatcher going to be freed I wonder?

Did I say freed? My mistake :D

Howler said:
Also, am I the only one who has a tad of sympathy for the bloke?
Nope.
A 34 year sentence means he'll leave in a box. In his situation I'd open a vein and deny them the pleasure.
Sorry it had to end this way Simon.

"Mann's best hope of freedom is a presidential pardon."
Understand Mann comes from a wealthy UK Brewing family.
I think the good president may be open to a backhander.
john
Bribery the way the rest of the world works.

Have heard he has an exercise bike in his cell and

takes wine with his lunch....

Do you think he might be a member of ARRSE ?

Mr Calil said of Sir Mark: "He was like a prize to Simon. They got drunk in South Africa together and who knows what they talked about but he had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with a coup."

But did he tell them the colour of the boathouse in Hereford ??