Simon Jenkins calls for complete cut of armed forces...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Schleswig-Holstein, Jun 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Simon Jennings (Guardian)

Who has the bus keys?

Edited by mod to spell his name correctly in the thread title
  2. How about we cut Simon Jennings and the Guardian? Just think of all the oxygen and trees we'd save.
  3. He is deliberately melodramatic - the schwerpunkt is made in the last sentence:

Which is a valid point. Defence expenditure, like all other public expenditure, must be justified and must be rigorously tested. I have little confidence that strategic planning for defence and foreign policy is as effective as it could be, particularly under the last administration and I think Mr Jenkins is of the same mind.
  4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Simon Jenkins is quite an odd person with increasingly wacky views on a lot of subjects. It's worth reading, for example, the 'Bad Science' forum for some commentary on his scientific opinions. I do sometimes wonder if he's about to do a David Icke.
  5. And what do we do with the 100's of thousands of people who employed by the MoD both directly and indirectly? And they have the cheek to moan about Thatcher destroying industry in the 80's.
  6. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

He seems to forget, who will put his fires out when the Fire 'Service' are on strike again because they don't get paid enough?

Plus - he's obviously not been anywhere near Lossiemouth then, and tried to make a 5-minute phonecall.
  7. Jennings misses the point completely and overwhelmingly. I suspect he knows that as well. This article is a nice little earner and pays him a fat fee on the basis of it's controversy. There are plenty of people out there in the big wide world who would love to take us for a ride, rub our noses in it and hose us down massively. The only thing that stops them is that excellent machine we keep to hand 24/7 called our Armed Forces.
  8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

He points out well the fact that a SDR is needed. He is however, hopelessly and disappointingly short-sighted in his comments on lack of threat to the UK.
  9. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Turn the Armed Forces out onto the street - Good God! What brand of sherry is this man drinking?

Best possible scenario:
    A coup d'etat by the retired warriors

Worst possible scenario:
    Jackbooted Jean/Fritz/Ivan/Mahmood/Lee/Kim marching through Picadilly Circus by breakfast time
  10. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Edit to above post:
    Not to mention Jackbooted Pablo standing all islanders and oil workers a round at the bar of "The Upland Goose"
  11. Usual left wing tosh with an SDR in the pipeline.

Go in hard with no defence budget scrap the lot of it, come away with no trident replacement - simples.
  12. Ok, so for a second lets engage with Jenkins' question: "who do we need to defend against?"

Answers on a postcard. And I vote that PR Totty tries to get the best one onto Comment is Free...
  13. Damn. Beat me to it!
    He obviously didn't watch Queen and Country on Monday night!
  14. What a F**king retard, has this idiot not read history.When I joined up no one would have ever dreamed Northern Ireland would ever have kicked off, and with things the way there are today it would not surprise me if we do not have religious unrest,water wars,civil unrest, natural disasters, flooding,ect where troops are deployed on the streets in the future. It is far better to have troops doing nothing,than not to have them when we need them.FFS the first time I got called out was to try to clean up the oil spill of the Torry Canyon disaster. The Man is a F**kwit
  15. Just a typical Guardian leftwing bile spewing twunt looking to get himself on the news and rile up the Daily Mail and Co. Ignore the tosser and he'll shrivel up and die without the attention.