Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simmerit's build of the R.A. crossing over wooden bridges into Tunisia in 1943 - West Desert Build

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Goodies have arrived.

View attachment 541594
next step is to get some legs on a couple of the torsos and see what they look like. Then it’s onto attaching arms.......

If I get good at it, I can see a new career in the NHS...........

can I recommend someone to be your first client? @dingerr

Do you have a photo of the photographer? I recently read Alan Whicker's 'Whickers War', which is a great read. He described using Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta for all their still photography. These German cameras were imported into the UK via Switzerland and Sweden for use by the British Army. I have acquired two and they are regarded as the Rolls Royce of Medium format cameras. They are a bellows camera and very distinctive, having a 'monocle' rangefinder prism mounted above the objective lens - unlike any other camera, except the post-War Moskva, which was essentially the same camera, but built in the USSR using German plans and equipment (and some staff...)

Do you have a photo of the photographer? I recently read Alan Whicker's 'Whickers War', which is a great read. He described using Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta for all their still photography. These German cameras were imported into the UK via Switzerland and Sweden for use by the British Army. I have acquired two and they are regarded as the Rolls Royce of Medium format cameras. They are a bellows camera and very distinctive, having a 'monocle' rangefinder prism mounted above the objective lens - unlike any other camera, except the post-War Moskva, which was essentially the same camera, but build in the USSR using German plans and equipment.
I’m guessing one of these

24A8F35F-E39E-4115-A8B5-28D2D5C18759.jpeg

and not one of these

1E39B77D-CB5A-4748-ACCD-07F7763B42C1.jpeg

No I’ve not got a piccie of the photographer

NSP

LE
(remember, the Afrika Korps ration was a litre a day)
Christ! I'll sink three times that bashing ten miles out over Dartmoor on a spring day. Mind you, I suspect the hills are steeper and I'm not covering the ground in the back of a 251 or a Blitz...

I know - I couldn't believe it when I first read it.
It gets worse. As far as I can make out, the German water bottle (WW2) was only 750ml. The British water bottle (WW1) was 2 pints although, according to my dad (India 1944) only one pint of this was for drinking and washing. The other pint belonged to the CQMS.

As recently as 1975, we were rationed to 1 litre per day on exercise though, except during heat waves (e.g. 1976), that wasn't too bad in UK and Germany. You certainly learned about water management - don't empty your cans into your mess tin as you wouldn't have water to clean them. Boil the tins instead, saving the water for tea and enough to dampen a face cloth for a shave and wash.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
As recently as 1975, we were rationed to 1 litre per day on exercise though, except during heat waves (e.g. 1976), that wasn't too bad in UK and Germany. You certainly learned about water management - don't empty your cans into your mess tin as you wouldn't have water to clean them. Boil the tins instead, saving the water for tea and enough to dampen a face cloth for a shave and wash.
While it might be a good teaching aid, it's a stupid idea otherwise.

If things are that bad, ration sweat not water.

I’m feeling more like @SPROCKET321 every day. I need to get another six on the go!

right then. Finished on the Wokka for tonight while that putty goes off. Turning my attention to one of the little lads who is need of some limbs and a head at some point.

my career in the NHS shows promise

BE735C49-437C-484F-B085-FA8FEB9D160E.jpeg

09752C08-9E5B-48BD-B9DB-AE8D4369912A.jpeg

Deffo a better way of doing figures

F0BF387E-BC54-4518-A06C-039D03C26A00.jpeg

that’s me done for the night

QRK2

LE
It gets worse. As far as I can make out, the German water bottle (WW2) was only 750ml. The British water bottle (WW1) was 2 pints although, according to my dad (India 1944) only one pint of this was for drinking and washing. The other pint belonged to the CQMS.

One of the more interesting bits in the otherwise tediously self congratulatory autobiography of Max Hastings is where he talks about doing on exercise in Cyprus as (IIRC) an OCdt and the realities of the water discipline that was imposed (he deserted).

Last edited:
Goodies have arrived.

View attachment 541594
next step is to get some legs on a couple of the torsos and see what they look like. Then it’s onto attaching arms.......

If I get good at it, I can see a new career in the NHS...........
Let me know how you get on with the rubber brushes please mate. I've been thinking about getting some myself.

Off the Wokka now for a couple of days to crack on with the Mat.

FD534DBE-9F1B-4172-9C93-0A6DA6248747.jpeg

having spent two bloody hours on the phone tonight, wiping out my evening on the Mat, I’ve managed to get this far with the first figure. He now has arms and legs.

before I apply the first resin putty, I need to make sure his legs are not in an unattainable pose, then I’m off. Should be having a crack with the resin tomorrow.

Just had my first crack with the magic sculpt and I am going to take this very slowly. My objective for this first stage was to get some flesh on the bones (so to speak). In other words to fill holes on the arms and get a base build around the copper wire. I’m now going to leave these two lads for the resin to go off. I don’t plan to rush this.

Here’s the first stage applied.

E7E71219-E3E6-4D95-AA1D-71BE22C214F3.jpeg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just had my first crack with the magic sculpt and I am going to take this very slowly. My objective for this first stage was to get some flesh on the bones (so to speak). In other words to fill holes on the arms and get a base build around the copper wire. I’m now going to leave these two lads for the resin to go off. I don’t plan to rush this.

Here’s the first stage applied.

View attachment 543300
It's Magic Sculp mate, Magic Sculpt is a type of clay, only pointing it out so as nobody buys the wrong stuff.

Latest Threads